Scope base

N

New Old Shooter

I am looking at getting into some bench rest shooting. I am looking at the Savage target series model 12 bench rest as 1 pick. I can't seem to find any one who makes a scope base for that model. Any one know of any?

Wayne

EGW is a Good Choice

I have a Savage Long Range Bench Rest model 12 in 6mm BR. I put an EGW picatinny rail on it with a 20 MOA cant. Optics Planet has them, as does Dillons and Midway. They are about 40 bucks. They stiffen the action too. I have them on a bunch of rifles and I use with Burris Signature rings with the inserts.

I have the EGW 20MOA base on my 12 Benchrest in 6mm BR. Fits well, and due to the design the front screws do not impinge on the barrel threads as some do. The one I have is the HD model, (harder alloy and better finish, IIRC), part number is 80302.

Purchased it direct from EGW, had it in a couple days. I use the same one on my Savage 10-FCP HS Precision .308 and it has been great on that rifle too.

OK waitaminnit..... has anyone actually answered Wayne's question? :)

Wayne, as far as I know, if the bolt action rifle says "Savage" on it then the base(s) will fit be it a 10, a 110, a 12 a Bench Rest 12 a 112 a 114 or 116 etc etc.....and whether is sez "Tactical" or FCP or F/TR or "Police" or "Weather Warrior" or BR or whatever..... I ain't no Savage guy but AFAIK any modern (20 yrs???) bolt action Savage is the same basic platform.

"Savage" in modern firearms is kinda' like "350 small block"

al

OK waitaminnit..... has anyone actually answered Wayne's question? :)

I guess no question has been answered until you get your say, but I believe I told him the exact part number to buy for his Savage 12 Benchrest and where to buy it.

Pm

I guess no question has been answered until you get your say, but I believe I told him the exact part number to buy for his Savage 12 Benchrest and where to buy it.

I sent you a pm.

Wayne

Not the right answer?

Is a picatinny rail not a scope base? I submit it is, and for the Savage Model 12 Bench Rest, a darned good one. Two of us apparently have exactly the rifle this guy is looking at and told him exactly what has worked well for us. To me, that is what the forum is supposed to be about.

Oh Deary Me...... did I upset someone's knitting?

As I read it, Wayne's dilemma stemmed from the fact that his rifle isn't listed in whichever charts he referenced......maybe he doesn't WANT "EGW part number pickatinny blahh blahh blahh..." the fact that you, michaelnel like "part # 80302" because "it has a harder alloy" and vtvarmint is convinced it "stiffens the action" is completely irrelevant. GOOD information, but irrelevant. Wayne (and the world at large) can gain real information from knowing that "Savage base" pretty much means all Savage bolt action rifles, knowing this they can then make an informed choice from the hundreds of options out there.

You'se guys want it to be a "Ferd VS Chubby argument" you have right at it, but (as you so kindly pointed out michaelnel) I or someone else may just point out other options.

So sorry to have dribbled in your cheerios.....

Now you can merrily PMS each other about just what a meanie I am.

al

Well now. He doesn't have a Savage Model 12, he is looking at it as 1 choice. So let's move on to 2 choice. Get one that has a scope base on it. Many custom actions have a dovetailed scope rail as an integral part. That is what he needs.
Dial.
Dial.
Dial.
Ring.
Ring.
Ring.
Hello Jim, send me a Panda.

All Savage actions are the same, except for those that are different. Short action / long action, flat back / round back. They all need different scope bases.

... and I replied to it. It's too bad we have to use PMs to exchange information here.

I read your reply. It appears that you are making a few changes to yours. I was hoping to chat with someone who has, as came from the factory, target model 12 bench rest in 6mm BR. I am looking for info on how a stock rifle shoots.

Wayne

I have the EGW 20MOA base on my 12 Benchrest in 6mm BR. Fits well, and due to the design the front screws do not impinge on the barrel threads as some do. The one I have is the HD model, (harder alloy and better finish, IIRC), part number is 80302.

Purchased it direct from EGW, had it in a couple days. I use the same one on my Savage 10-FCP HS Precision .308 and it has been great on that rifle too.

After doing some more digging I found the one you mentioned and others on Midway and EGW web sites. Thanks

Wayne

All Savage actions are the same, except for those that are different. Short action / long action, flat back / round back. They all need different scope bases.

So please help those of us who don't know these differences...... which options fit the op's rifle? You seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, please HELP the man by telling him which bases will fit. He asked a simple question, phrased as "I can't find my model listed"..... so would those of you who know please tell us which models are applicable, which LISTED models will cross-reference to Wayne's BR model.

This is helping.

Here is the op to refrash your mammary.....

I am looking at the Savage target series model 12 bench rest as 1 pick. I can't seem to find any one who makes a scope base for that model.

Quite simple really.....

I'm ignorant on the subject, I opined that he's safe in ordering "nearly any Savage set"...... obviously I'm WRONG, so here's your chance to set the record straight for all posterity, this will serve two distinct purposes. #1, it'll answer the man's question (important) And #2 it'll allow you to "get your say" (important to you, I guess)

And I'll learn something (important to me)

oops..... three.....THREE purposes.....ah ah ahh ahhh.......

al

So please help those of us who don't know these differences...... which options fit the op's rifle? You seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, please HELP the man by telling him which bases will fit. He asked a simple question, phrased as "I can't find my model listed"..... so would those of you who know please tell us which models are applicable, which LISTED models will cross-reference to Wayne's BR model.

This is helping.

Here is the op to refrash your mammary.....

Quite simple really.....

I'm ignorant on the subject, I opined that he's safe in ordering "nearly any Savage set"...... obviously I'm WRONG, so here's your chance to set the record straight for all posterity, this will serve two distinct purposes. #1, it'll answer the man's question (important) And #2 it'll allow you to "get your say" (important to you, I guess)

And I'll learn something (important to me)

oops..... three.....THREE purposes.....ah ah ahh ahhh.......

al

I havn't decided yet to buy one of these rifles. With Michaels help I found the info I was looking for. I believe the model I am thinking about uses a short action with the round back. Thanks for every ones help.

Wayne

How It Shoots?

Mine in 6 BR shoots pretty good with 108 Bergers and 29.6 of Varget lit with Fed 205M primers in Lapua cases, a few thou into the lands. I use a Redding Type S die and a .267 bushing. Have done well in egg shoots with that. Haven't fooled with too many load tweaks because I have too many rifles and too little time.

I think if you do a search, you'll find a lot of threads that discuss loads for this particular rifle. Some F-class guys go up to 30.5 of Varget with that bullet but I consider that way too stiff.

It's a good rifle for the money, and some like it with the 88 Bergers.

please HELP the man by telling him which bases will fit.

I have the exact same model he is asking about and I have the EGW 20 MOA base on mine for which I gave him the part number and where to buy it. Don't know how to be more concise than that.

I havn't decided yet to buy one of these rifles. With Michaels help I found the info I was looking for. I believe the model I am thinking about uses a short action with the round back. Thanks for every ones help.

Wayne

So he DID help :)

Good..... would have been nice to see the information HERE where the question was asked, but I'm glad you've received the help you asked for.

al

Back