Savage Lrpv

V

vicvanb

Shot my Savage LRPV 204 Ruger yesterday after waiting all winter and spring for the weather to warm up. Got some tiny groups--this rifle is the most accurate factory varmint rifle I have ever owned and I've had a bunch. The only thing I did to it was remove a small amount of stock material from the upper edges of the aluminum bedding block.

I guess some LRPV rifles have problems--crooked actions, out of round firing pin holes, action screw holes not right, etc.--but mine apparently is perfect, at least it shoots extraordinarily well.

I have one question: mine is throated so long I can't contact the lands by seating Sierra 39gr bullets as far out as I can. The Hornady factory loads have deeply seated bullets but they shoot well too. I wonder if accuracy might be even better if the throat allowed me to experiment with bullet seating depth as I have done with all my other rifles.

Are all the LRPV rifles throated long?

I've heard of many Savages having long throats....but a quick trip to the gunsmith could probably take care of it. If its shooting good, why mess with a bad thing?

Yes, my LRPV in .204 has an extremely long throat also. I loaded some 39 grain Sierra BK's and some 40 grain Nosler and Hornady loads to test these for ultimate accuracy and my gun didn't like any of them. So, I'm sticking to my pet 32 grain Sierra BK load of 26.5 grains of Reloader 10x and a Fed 205M primer. Mine, by the way, was one with the action screws out of alignment. I also had the crown recut to 11 degrees. Wish I'd have done both operations separately so I could have figured out what the real problem was. As it was, it was shooting 1.5", which would be great for a deer gun!

Friend at the range just has his rechambered to a shorter throat so he could reach the lands. He said it help alot. (I can't define "alot")

savage LRPV

I just bought one was was shot 2 times it is chambered in 22-250 I cant wait to try it out.

Vic, I've loaded for Savages, Remmy's, and a Browning A-Bolt in 204 and all had long throats in them to the point that I couldn't reach the lands.

All the ones I shot were also very accurate.

I've one in .223 Rem. I could seat 69 SMKs into the lands. It copper fouled for 200 or so rounds, but shoots well. I've subsequently swapped stocks, replace the accutrigger with a Rifle Basix, bedded it, and put a Pac-Nor 6mm BR Norma barrel on it. Still shoots well ;) Makes a real nice swap barrel.

Of course, now I want another LBRP target action to use with the .223 Rem barrel and the old HS Precision stock.....

Both of my .204 Rugers (Rem 700s) will reach the lands and fit the magazine. My CZ 527V (traded off) would, but they would not fit the magazine.

Loooooong throats

Typical for all manufactures to send long throated chambers out there... One word.... Liability...

Thank God fer Competent gunsmiths and Great Custom tubes!!!
Life's too short to shoot poorly!;)

cale

When Hornady designed the 204R cartridge they determined it worked best with a long jump to the lands. I can't recall the exact numbers I've seen but it was in the .150 jump vicinity.
Whether it was Hornady's ballisticians or lawyers that made that determination is open for debate but it was they who set the standard.

Either way its proven itself to be a very accurate cartridge with the long jump found in most factory rifles. Many folks are getting great results with custom reamers ground as low as 0 free bore.

I just checked an unfired Savage barrel. DTL with a 39bk is 2.451 COL.
Thats a pretty close average to the four previous Savage tubes I've used.
I normally do not pay much attention to the exact amount of DTL in my factory tubes so I have no hard numbers recorded to compare it with.

Back