Savage BVSS12 308 - First hand Loads

B

BigDog

I finally got around to loading some rounds for my Savage BVSS12 in 308. Since this is the first time reloading, I started at a low powder charge and played with seating depth. Depth made more difference than I originally thought.

Winchester brass - once fired, full length resize
Federal 215 magnum primer
RE15 39.5 grains
Sierra Matchking 168 grain

5 shot groups at 200 yard (7-10mph wind down & across)
0.015" off the lands - 1.625"
0.008" off lands - 2.75"
0.003" off lands - 1.00" (4 shots inside 0.50") - see attachment

The gun never shot a group this small with any factory ammo. Not sure I can shoot much better. However, I may try (carefully) some at 0.001" off lands or at full jam and/or try increasing powder charge at 0.003" off lands.

K

Attachments

• 308 Handload Target - Feb08.jpg
    308 Handload Target - Feb08.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 570
Will do. I think 42.0gr RE15 is the "most accurate" load that Sierra lists for the 168gr MatchKing.

windflags

get in the habit of using windflags if your trying to shoot tight groups 5=10mph wind doesn't sound like much but with out flags very hard to read whats happening downrange. also shouldn't need magnum primer try ccibr2.

More powder..

I shoot the 168 SMK with RE-15 using much more powder. Granted I used Lapua brass. It my gun, I use 44.0 gr of RE-15 and get 2725 fps. Work up to the load slowly. It is not a max load in my gun, but that is my gun only. My experience was that RE-15 fowled badly if I didn't run a very warm load. I got the dirtiest patches I have every seen when I cleaned using reduced loads.

I doubt using are braking 2550 fps with the 39.5 gr of RE-15.

Why the mag primers?

primers

I have read that magnum primers can theoretically give more consistent ignition.

However, real reasons for using them is that a friend gave me a case (1,000) for free. In addition, I reload for a 300wsm and so it makes it easier to just use one type.

May I ask what Scope and power you are using? Also what is your trigger pull weight? @ 200 yards "things "start showing up that they dont @ 100. The 308 is about my fav round and I have shot many rounds of it. I have seen some barrels that just wont shoot 168s, But they shot 155s or in the 170s at 200 yd range with uncanny results. My personal fav combo at the monent is Laupa brass, Berger 155-168, Fed primers and Varget.......To me a 308 is one of the easyist cals to handload for

Scope

I am using a Weaver fixed 40x with a 1/8 MOA dot. I personally think it is an awesome scope for the money. I am more hunter than benchrest shooter, so I can only put so much time/$ into any particular gun, especially a target only gun.

I totally agree with your statement about "things showing up" at longer distances. I laugh every time I hear a guy who shoots small groups at 100 and then extrapolates that out to what he would shoot at 300 and 400. Sorry, moa is only linear on paper. Moreover, I am more interested in what I can do with a gun shooting prone off a bi-pod as I have yet to find a benchrest in the Rocky Mountains.

If I can get more 0.25-0.50 moa groups at 200-300 with a bit more powder, I think I will call it a day on equipment trial and error and focus on playing with wind flags.

K

I have read that magnum primers can theoretically give more consistent ignition.

However, real reasons for using them is that a friend gave me a case (1,000) for free. In addition, I reload for a 300wsm and so it makes it easier to just use one type.

I guess you can't beat the price.

However, mag primers in a .308 could make ignition less consistant.
I've worked with the 300WSM in a BVSS action and found my best groups and lowest SDs were with CCI BR2 primers. The mag primers were a bit eratic and I had trouble getting groups under an inch. YMMV

Primers

My 300wsm is a Remington 700 action. In any case, I will get some CCI BR2 primers based on the multiple opinions in favor and try them in both guns.

Thanks to all for the advice.

K

Hi Big Dog,

I also own a Savage 12 BVSS in .308. I use it for bench shooting and
PD hunting, therefore I use light bench rest bullets made by Ralph Council out
Tomball TX. Phone is 281 351-2349. My rifle is a 1/10 twist. Bullet is 130 to
135gr flat bottom benchrest bullet. My load with the 130gr bullet is:45.7grs
H4895 and Fedral 210M primers, Lapua brass full bench rest prep. 200 meter
8 shot group is 9/16x15/16 in. This was a 10 shot group with 2 shots out of
that cluster. l dont think I can get better results than
that with an out of the box rifle, but I will give it a try. I am holding .010 off the lands.

Ted:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine really likes 44 gr Varget,Win cases BR2 Primers with the 168 MK
but the 175 gr MK will easily outshoot the 168 :D
I use , which has be called at the 6mm.com article about reloading 308,
the universal load- up to and past 1000 yards load of 175MK,43 Varget,BR2
primers and Win BR prepped cases ;) Many 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards
some a little smaller using 3 wind flags at 25,50 and 100 yards:) under good
conditions and some not so good !!
Later
John

.308 , 168mk loads

I have a good .308 load for 168 gr. MK's. load is for barrels 25" and longer.
41.5 grs. summer, 42.5 grs. in winter, of VV N-150
Lapua brass weight sorted
168 gr. Sierra Match King bullets
Fed. 210M primers
This load chronographs at about 2500 to 2550 FPS in a 26" barrel.
This load has shot great in every LONG barreled .308 I've tried it in. I have not shot past 200 yards so I do not know its long range potential.
In a factory 40X Rangemaster it shoots a consistent 1/2" or smaller 5 shot groups at 100 yards, my small group at 100yds. is 5 shots in .062".
In a factory Ruger M77 MkII V/T this load shot like a house of fire. Consistent 5 shot 5/8 to 1/2" groups at 200 Yards! My small group at 200 yds. is a 3 shot .195" group (I didn't have the nads to go for 5 lol). Again this was in a Factory Ruger !
If you don't have any N-150 bum a little from a friend and try this load out. You will not regret it.
I'll say this again I've only shot this in barrels 25" or longer. I've shot this load for 10 years and shot out 4 barrels and have never had a desire to change it.
Art Brady

Back