Savage bolt head on Remington bolt. Here's how I did it.

B

B.Johnson

Savage bolt head on Remington bolt. Here's how I did it.

Attachments

• 40X pics0015.jpg
    40X pics0015.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,796
  • 40X pics0008.jpg
    40X pics0008.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,256
  • 40X pics0014.jpg
    40X pics0014.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,811
  • 40X pics0004.jpg
    40X pics0004.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,588
  • 40X pics0005.jpg
    40X pics0005.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,558
  • 40X pics0006.jpg
    40X pics0006.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,525
Last edited by a moderator:
so why is the wrench in the chuck?????/( back of pic 3) that is a 100 percent never happen...ask any shop teacher...your hand never leaves the wrench while it is in the chuck...never....
nice bolt job..............
mike in co

As a former shop teacher- A for effort - F for Safety.
remember the life you save is yours and mine.......

The question was about a live steady, I,m no longer a manual training student, at least not at 73 yrs. old. Could it be I was rolling over the chuck for the photo. Mike in colo., make one like it. It may have other uses.

Why? Seems like a lot of work for what gain

Safety block for the SAKO extractor.

B Johnson - Great job. Don't pay any attention to critical comments from the young whipper-snappers. ;)

Ray

Not wizzing on anybody just curious. Why is a floating bolt head so great? Don't see to many on Custom actions. As for interchangable bolt heads I don't know any Savage owners who do that on a semi-regular basis.

Why is a floating bolt head so great?
Why do you think we true up bolt lugs? Variation in lug thrust is perhaps the largest contributor to variations in vibration. IIRC, Stiller made a few Vipers with floating bolt heads.

As for interchangable bolt heads I don't know any Savage owners who do that on a semi-regular basis.
Well, I'm a 1K BR shooter with a barrel-blocked Remington/Savage bolthead Light Gun. One head in magnum, one in .30/06. Lets me shoot anything from a 6mmBR to a large 30 with one build.

But you may have point. Truth to tell, I have too many 1K LGs. Just now I'm shooting a .338 on a BAT . . .

Why do people always take offense to safety calls?

I guess us young whippersnappers just don't get it, this one wants to be an old whippersnapper some day.

I say "nice catch." And on my jobs, construction jobs, I fire people for scoffing at safety rules. Especially in public.

IMO we shouldn't need OSHA desk-jockeys, we should self-police.

Now all y'all can REALLY scald me.

flamesuit ON

al

Al

I don't take offense at safety calls and I certainly wasn't calling you a young whippersnapper. Well, at least not a young one. ;)

My point was buried somewhere in my post, maybe too deep to notice. That is, no one looked at the IP and took note of B Johnson's excellant lathe work, except me. It appeared that most others carefully scanned his photos looking for something to criticize. Yes, I also immediately noticed the chuck wrench, but didn't consider it important enough to comment on. I've done it too (left the wrench in) but, like B Johnson, it was done for a reason and I was well aware of what I was doing. Have I ever had a wrench go flying across the garage and out into the driveway? You betcha, and it would take a young whippersnapper to have never experienced such a thing, or worse.

But, again, we digress. Very nice work B Johnson.:) :)

Ray

I can't find anything in the pics to show me that the work is "excellent," just affirmation that it was done.

I also see no explanation of "how" it was done except that I can presume it was driven by a chuck grip, thru the live steady rest, based on the pictures. Is this "excellent?"

IMO "excellence" need be defined, methodology explained. WHY is this way better? How/where is tolerance measured? What's the perceived advantage of doing it this way? How was the chuck grip used? Was it set to swivel while the steady was dialed? Was the bolt plugged? Was it dogged or just clamped in?

Nor did B.Johnson make explanation, he simply said "here's how I did it."

That's OK.

I'm not picking on B.Johnson in any way but I certainly can't comment meaningfully on quality based on presented information....... I get guys walk onto my construction jobs every day and make statements like "you guys are doing really great work!"

Really???

How do they know?

Answer, they don't.

However, if they see a guy running an angle grinder without eye protection they CAN know that for fact.

There is no adequate "reason" for leaving the hannle in the chuck.

IMO

al

I think most of the custom action makers are heavily invested in expensive equipment and therefore make actions that will sell to a clientele that sometimes seems a little slow to accept or embrace "new things". Discussing the merits/demerits of the equipment we choose to use seldom makes much sense.

I have spent 12 years shooting about that many Savage or Savage-based rifles and find them to be great shooting platforms. A factory Remington M700 is no competition to a factory Savage M12 say nothing of the LRPV or Target action. Unfortunately, factory Savages have priced themselves into the area where they are competing with brands like Cooper, Sako or even used customs and their build quality is not there. Even at that, if you do lots of shooting, change barrels, change calibers, etc., the Savage is still a better platform because of the ease of changing main components.

I also have several rifles with custom or customized actions. There is no question the new custom actions we have to choose from are the best ever made.

Getting away from brands, models, etc., I believe that a "floating" bolt head is pure genius. Once the bolt is closed and the lugs are seated, the rest of the bolt does nothing except house the firing pin and supply a handle to engage/disengage the lugs. A floating head is divorced from any stress or pressure from the rest of the bolt. The lugs need only align themselves with the receiver and not the whole bolt handle. Then, the ease of changing to a different caliber head size gives you a flexibility that's very inexpensive.

The barrel nut method seems to be quite a bit of genius to me, also. With a trued receiver and trued nut, a pre-chambered barrel can be installed, uninstalled, reinstalled. I can buy a "pre-fit" barrel from several suppliers or even used and install it on my Savage action without any problem. If I buy a barrel off someone's M700 or BAT, it almost certainly won't fit my action with proper headspacing without a gunsmith doing it. I've heard that some of the newer Panda's are that perfect, but haven't seen it in reality.

There's very little prestige in showing up at the bench with a Savage-based action in today's world and that still has lots to do with what we shoot, or drive, etc. I understand that. But that doesn't mean the concepts Savage birthed in it's action aren't viable. IMHO the Savage actions are butt-ugly to look at. But I'll let you know in the spring if my 30 BR on a Savage action will shoot with my BAT SV. I'm curious to see for myself.

If I want to change my Savage from 6 BR to .223AI (which I do periodically) it only costs $68 for the second bolt head. In my BAT, a new bolt for the new caliber is $475 (which, by the way is about the price of Savage Target action).

Long-winded thoughts ...

Looks very good to me. Could I get you to do one of my Rem Bolts?

Octopus

Ray, you probably didn't really mean to use "whippersnapper" -- or used with a smile, like suggested by the Virginian . . .

Charles - maybe I should have Googled the word whippersnapper before using it. I really DID mean it with a wink and a smile. It's right there in my post.

I remember Gabby Hayes using the phrase, "You young whippersnapper" in the old Roy Rogers movies. That's where I get it. Of course, most young whippersnappers today are too young to know who Gabby Hayes was. ;) ;)

I do know one thing for sure. I'm getting way too old to get upset over minutia such as this. ;) ;)

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray,

'course I remember Gabby Hayes. I even remember when Roy Rogers bought Corriganville, just into the Simi Valley from the San Fernando Valley. That's where Gunsmoke was filmed (shooting reference we need.) It also had part of the "Sherwood Forrest" used when Errol Flynn played Robin Hood. Wikipedia has it that Bob Hope bought Corriganville, but Rogers owned it for a brief time first.

Not that these whippersnappers ;-) would remember.

Back