Savage actions?

B

BUSHMASTER1

I am getting ready to build my daughter an accurate deer rifle. I need an action to start with. What are the differences between the short action savage actions and the stevens 200? Yes I'm dedicated to the Savage.;) Thanks in advance.

only the trigger

Stevens come with the older style (non-accutrigger) trigger. Savages, for the most part, have the accutrigger. Some of the scope packages still do not have the accutrigger. Stevens will not accept the accutrigger, but but have other aftermarket options. I personally am not a huge accutrigger fan. Other than that, they are identical. I built my first Savage on a Stevens action last year. Couldn't be more pleased. Got a Boyd's thumbhole stock for $80 bucks. I have 4 barrels for it and a fifth on the way. I am getting ready to do the same thing for both of my boys. they are getting stevens 200 in 223 for starters to learn to shoot CF with. I have already picked up one 308 sporter new take-off for a deer round.

Have you decided what caliber for her yet?

luck, tiny

Yes, there will be another .243 Win. in the safe. I offered to buy her a nice Savage such as the American classic, but she(12 yrs. old and successful hunter) says the shiny wood doesn't appeal to her. She wants synthetic like on Dads guns. I was going with a rifle basix, or sss trigger anyway. Would like to find a beater in the pawn shop for the action. She has killed 8 deer since she was 8, no misses, so I'll build the gun to her specs. Probably going Shilen prefit with 22-24" barrel. Possibly a B&C stock like on my 110 .308 Tactical. Just wanted to know if the savage stuff would fit the Stevens. I'm leaving work now and can't reply till Monday. Any more suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Personally, I really like the Accutrigger and it can be lightened to my tastes for a hunting rifle.

If you buy a Stevens then swap in everything, that is a great deal and have done it myself. If you are only swapping the trigger, better to get a Savage with the accutrigger and det mag (if that suits) for a few dollars more.

All Stevens are made from overrun of Savage rifles. They are identical except for the trigger group.

Jerry

stocks

Just to make things more difficult for us, Savage started switching the stocks last year to the new in-line style magazine. All the old ones, were staggered style with the magazine attached to the action. Unfortunately, all of the aftermarket stocks I know of are the older staggered style. Got to watch out for that. The guns on the shelves today may be either. I put a SSS in my Stevens. Thumbs up on it. Very nice. Check out Accuracy Arms or The BarrelMan for your Shilen prefit. Both beat MidwayUSA by a good bit..... I think Midway has the Shilen 243 prefit 1:8 twist in stock and on-sale. At least they did a couple of days ago. My local Sportmans WareHouse had the Stevens 200 on clearance for $262 a few weeks ago. I heard they are now going out of business.

Luck in your build. tiny

Two more questions. What is the bullet weight range for a 1-8' twist? Will the Savage 10 stock fit the stevens? Thanks again.

questions

Twist - 1:8 will stabilize up to the 105/107s. A maybe on the 115s (big maybe). You can shoot anything as small as the 55s in it, but they certainly would be over-spun. It would be good with 95 gr Nosler BT (my personal fav 6mm whitetail bullet) or 100 gr partition bullets. But a 1:10 will probably do the same thing. The 1:8 is for the 105/107 low drag bullets.

Stocks - It depends. Is your Stevens a staggered or on-line and is the Savage 10 a staggered or on-line?. This is going to be a problem for a while. Just make sure your Stevens is the older style staggered magazine and your good to go. I am not even sure if the short action Stevens shipping yet are the in-line style. All the shorts actions I looked at have been staggered, while the newer long actions where the new in-lines.

tiny

Back