Savage 12 Single-shot .308 Benchrest Dual port, Opinions Please

U

ultramag44

I'm looking to purchase one of these. Your opinions please.

It claims to have a acu-trigger adjustable to 6 oz. How is this trigger?

What, if any issues does anyone have with this gun?

What is the best bullet weight w/ the 1-12 twist?

Will it take Weaver # 46 bases?

Thanks in advance

I can address the trigger...on both of my LRPV's..when adjusted as light as the adj screw allows..the sear will trip when i close the bolt...i dodn't care how careful you try..at 8oz ( lyman digital pull gage ) ..works fine..you must pull the accuritrigger blade strait back or you will trip the sear & have to recock..once you get used to the trigger it's good..noway a jewell..but good enough to shoot some very small groups..i use Ken Farrell bases and rings...i shoot a 308 custon Sako w a set trigger..1-10 tw..likes any bullet wgt between 150 gr & 168 Gr..i think the 150's shoot the best..the Sako is 9-10lbs..that Savage about 13 - 14 lbs...I had a Vias break put on & now the recoil feels like a 243..and the accuracy stayed the same..much more enjoyable to shoot..hope this helped some

I purchased a Savage 12 Varminter three years ago. While shopping, I examined the dual ports. I didn't care for them-- they were too complicated, and seemed to be solving a problem I didn't think even existed. I'm sure everyone sees such an issue differently.

I like my accu-trigger. When I purchased the gun, I asked the gunsmith who would be mounting the scope if he would ALSO set the accu-trigger to its lightest setting. I'm guessing it is at about 1 lb. pull. It is quite satisfactory as far as I am concerned. I will say that a few people on this forum hate accutriggers with a passion. Exactly why I don't know -- but you find a few people who would not buy a rifle with an accutrigger.

While i dont have a complete savage dual port rifle, i did build a custom off the same action only from savage. While the trigger will turn down to about 5oz, it will not stay cocked reliably untill you get to about 7oz, and i agree with Tome its not realy completly safe till 8oz. Once you get past this its a decent crisp trigger, especialy for varmint work. At the bench a dual port can certanly save you some time when a wind condition is fleeting. I would reccomend buying it, if the trigger bothers you too much there a many after market solutions at a decent price.

I have a Savage 12 Benchrest in 6 BR with an 8 twist. Like many others I've had trouble with the accutrigger until I tightened it a little. The dual port is nice for bench shooting but it would need some work in order to be a real "speed shooter" . I thought the stock was going to be too short up front but it works fine. The BR stock rides the rear bag fairly well. I bought it to shoot the 105-108 grain bullets but it shoots the 80-95 grain bullets better. Among the heavier bullets the Sierra works best shooting in the high 3's and 4's. Also, Reloder 15 seems to be more accurate and with higher velocities than Varget. Mine really likes the 87 grain V-Max and regularly shoots it in the high .2's and .3's and low 4's. I thought about having it bedded but haven't done it. Frankly, it shoots as well as I can shoot so I haven't bothered. I'll spend the money on bullets and practice.

Fred Moreo at Sharpshootersupply.com has the cure for the Savage trigger blues. A 6BR might be more competitive, though either cartridge can be easily converted to a 30BR or 22BR or .308 or 6BR with just a simple barrel swap, which you will probably want eventually, since as good as the factory barrel is, it's still a factory barrel.

Thanks in advance

I can recommend the Kevin Farrell base above all the others I've used on Savages. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for in my book. Sharp Shooter has them for $75. The next best base setup I've used is the Burris Tactical (steel) base. Burris Zee rings fit both base sets, and Burris also has a tactical ring set for these bases as well. As another poster said; the Sharp Shooter trigger is by far the best of the lot.
gary

savage 12br

Thanks in advance

I'm doing work up loads with my 12BR. With 40.3 gr of 2015 shot a .33 12 round group at 100 yards. Case had not been fire formed yet. I got yesterday
200 rnds of Nosler Match 308 brass. Only needed two groups for weight. both groups were within 3 (tenths) gr of each other. All great looking and ready to fire form.

I don't have this exact rifle, but I can say this:

I shoot competitively with several Savage actions with the Accutrigger. I like it. My rifles are custom built and the only Savage parts are the action and the trigger.

As far as issues with the standard factory Savage model 12, I have HUGE issues. Here's why.

There is a young girl, about 13 years old, who shoots a bone stock .223 Savage Model 12 in F/TR, a class I often shoot. Recently she won a local F class match under trying weather conditions with a 591 31 X's score. The next best shooter had a 580 with 17x's. This gun is literally right out of the box, not bedded or modified in any way. Her Dad is even afraid to torque the action screws for fear of changing how well it shoots.

Needless to say, her fellow competitors have serious issues with her weapon of choice. They say jealousy is the worst emotion. I tend to agree.

Everyone on the firing line is sending hate-rays toward the very nice and modest young lady as well as toward her gun. Unfortunately, hate isn't working very well and she continues to kick ass, much to our chagrin. Does Amazon sell Voodoo dolls? :mad:

Back