Sand for new bags

.223mike

Have read about a dozen different ideas on what to use and got as many ideas as how to clean your rifle. I shoot only 50 yd rimfire. I live in panhandle of fl. And there are 2 things we have a lot of. Cockroaches and sand, we have brown sand red sand and a lot of white sand. I am thinking about using the white. Any thoughts about the white? Mike

A lot of folks used to buy a bag of "heavy" sand...works pretty good. Don't know where or what to buy but others do and maybe somebody will chime in. Make sure it is or looks like sand!

Heavy sand is helpful for centerfire because the guns jump. I bought a 50lb bag cheap at a masonry supply house it town. That said, white sand is just fine for rimfires that don't do anything dramatic.

Heavy sand is helpful for centerfire because the guns jump. I bought a 50lb bag cheap at a masonry supply house it town. That said, white sand is just fine for rimfires that don't do anything dramatic.

The white sand is quartz sand and I have a yard full of it. Mike

You can't use free sand....well, you can but I don't recommend it. Find some sand that you have to pay for.....

You can't use free sand....well, you can but I don't recommend it. Find some sand that you have to pay for.....

If you were smart you'd offer a partnership......he's got the sand, you promote the sand ( special nuclear sand) .......every classified add, get a bag of sand.

Last edited:
I have purchased all of my bags pre filled. Sportsman's Warehouse sells them this way, and it's not much more, and very convenient. They are also filled much more solidly than I could fill them.

Back