Sako

sailor

Ok, I have done a search and found out some good Sako sporter information. Here is my question. Where do I begin to make a Sako sporter at this point in time? Which model, where are they available, is Kurt still making the jewel trigger? All input and other options would be appreciated.
This appears to be a recurring question from us new shooters but I just wanted to ask it again at this particular point in time. I know to watch the classifieds (that is where I got my 10.5 lb gun) but what other options are available? Thanks for your patience with the sporter uneducated.

Mike

PS Boy, that was quite a thread regarding RBA. It will not make me choose against RBA but sure will make me wonder about some folks.

sako sporter

If you intend on shooting RBA there are probably better choices than a sako. Go for an action with a solid action. (ie, single shot action) Good Luck With your new Gun!!!!

I really intend to shoot any of the disciplines that I can drive to. It seemed like the Sako would be an accepted sporter in any of them. I just want to shoot.

Mike

Sailor, call Bull's Eye sporting goods in N.C. Larry has a nice Sako P94 for sale. Turner stock, Jewell trigger, Lilja barrel. 704 462 1948 between 9am and 7pm.
Gary Shelton

Mike if you get a sporter I believe you would want one that could be shot in any of the disiplines. I would not limit myself to just one disipline. Depending on how heavy you plan on getting into shooting,would be the deciding factor of what type action to have a Sporter built on.

Sailor, don't know why you picked Sako for a sporter other than personal preference, and that's fine cause they can be made into a good shooting sporter. However, you asked for other options also and there are several and they all have their good points, here are a couple you might want to look into.
Anschutz--- 54.18MSR, already has a good trigger,(5018), can get a barreled action from Champions Choice, some of the factory barrels shoot and some need to be replaced with a good custom piece.
ULA--- can be ordered right bolt, right port, right bolt, left port. can be ordered with a Jewel trigger installed, Action comes threaded already, any custom barrel can be installed, comes with integral rings/bases.
Hall--- a true custom action that you can put all the bells and whistles on.
Before you make your final decision, I would suggest you go to several matches and ask the owners of some of these sporters if you could shoot their guns, 9 times out of 10 they will be more than willing to let you and either brag about their guns or tell you what's wrong with them. By doing this you only have to spend your money once to get a competitive rifle that fits your wants, needs, and budget. Finally, talk to a couple rimfire gunsmiths for their input also. IMHO

Does the Anschutz have any trouble making the 7.5 lb weight? I am buying a 54 for my heavy (for me that is one gun to shoot 10.5 and 13 lb) gun and it would be nice to have one as a sporter.
When I got interested in rimfire benchrest a few years ago I actually had a Hall action sporter made by James Messer and it was a great gun. I am just trying to ease back in this time and thought maybe I could get a stock Sako and add components as I go along. Thanks for the tips.

Mike

The Anschutz 54 repeater is a real good action for a sporter. There are a bunch of them out there. See if you can find a used one that has been trued and threaded. Or get your smith to do that when they are putting the barrel on.

Back