Sako Quad Bench - Who has used one?

doghunter

G'day.

I am thinking of upgrading my equipment to be a little more competitive at the local (Australian) range in the 50m BR event.

Currently I use an Izhmash Biathlon .22 for hunting pests and informal club competitions (it's good for silhouette). My local dealer has in stock a new Sako Quad Bench (.22 rimfire barrel) which looks pretty enough, but does it shoot?

I searched the forums, most popular upgrade appears to be to a better trigger, but not much else.

So, for a factory rifle (cannot afford a custom job yet), is it worthwhile persueing this avenue or should I just wait a bit and save up for something better? Dealer also has a nice Leupold VX-III 6.5 - 20 x 50 that is 3 months old so at a nice price. Would this suit the Sako?

So basically what I am asking, has anybody used a Sako Quad Range and what is their opinion of this rifle for a newbie to rimfire benchrest 50m competition?

Regards from Australia * Danny *

Last edited:
Few if any made it to the bench in matches here. I think your two better choices are to either save and wait or a low mileage Annie. Me, I'd rather wait and do it right.

My local dealer has in stock a new Sako Quad Bench (.22 rimfire barrel) which looks pretty enough, but does it shoot?

My advice, forget the Quad Danny. As Tim said, few if any have made the cut. The Finnfire Range would be a better choice. Never owned one, but shot a couple, nice rifle. Not sure what the availability is in Oz.

Otherwise go for an Annie, can’t go wrong with a match 54. Kicked everyones butt in Plzen, Cz.

Brian

Hi Danny,

Assuming you are looking for a rifle that you can use in your 200m matches and also a little benchrest (such as the factory class you have in Oz) then I think the 1710 DHB is the one to go for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9OWa3ycYBQ (DKL model, but you get the picture)

It’s basically a Match 54 action with a magazine fitted. A little front heavy for shooting offhand, but from a bipod or front rest, no problem. Anschutz quality is legendary and backup is seldom a problem. Have the trigger changed to single stage and reworked, you can get them down to around 9ozs, which is perfect for this type of rifle.

If it’s a dedicated bench rifle you want, for say the LV or HV classes, then you need to be looking elsewhere.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither

Hi Danny,

Mate sorry to say none of these would be competetive down here mate, you could have some fun and still go to comps but that's as far as it would get you. If it's under $1000 you want to spend then it's best to get a CZ American 453 or similar or a old Bruno and play in the factory sporter class that many smallbore clubs shoot down here, it should be off the shelf unmodified witha 6x scope and weigh under 3.5kgs. any decent HV or LV Brest Rifle down here even an old Annie will set you back closer to $2000 and then start adding bits like new barells, scope etc it adds up quickly.

You can email me with a little more info like where you actually live, where is your closest range and your budget and I will see if I can guide you or send you to someone near you that can.

president@wrabf.com

Best Regards
Bill Collaros

Last edited:
The Quad can do it

I can tell you from experience that the Quad is more than capable but you have to get very lucky. I just sold my Quad and it was quite the shooter.

I shot 750 and 749 aggs at the Indoor range at Luray with it. Any rifle that can do that is capable of hanging with the big boys.

Getting lucky though is all about the barrel (like any rifle). I got lucky with an exceptional Lilja EPS match drop-in barrel.

It also took finding just the right way to shoot it. Thumb behind the trigger guard and pinching trigger finger to thumb. Many might night find that little trick. Shooting it free recoil was a mess. Just goes to show what might be lurking in a lot of rifles if you can find it.

Maxx

Now that you sold the Quad, what are you looking for...or shooting...to replace it.

Max your actions have confirmed Bills comment

Max
If the Sako was able to run with the big boys and I have no doubt that you did shoot those wonderful scores, albeit with a Match Lilja barrel (great barrel), then why have you changed to a custom rig now?
Same reason I changed to one from my sporter, the custom or purpose built rifle just does everything easier , sits on the bags better, stays on the target better etc etc.
Your skill was really being used to its max to be able to shoot such great scores and that is impressive with a sporter.
Skill still needs to be used to shoot the Falcon as well but, you can do it more consistently than with the Sako.
Its like you can get a long drive in golf with of a 2 iron but its a hell of a lot easier to do it with a 1 wood with a head the size of a football.
I hope you understand what I mean as I didn't mean any disrespect to you at all, just what I to have discovered with my Falcon.

Dan
Get whatever you are able to afford and are comfortable spending we only shoot for fun not the meaning of life ,an old Anshultz 54 action is a great rifle some come up in benchrest stocks for a grand.
Need good ammo though whatever you decide to shoot, hard to go past Eley match from my experience .
kind regards Ben

Max

Dan
Get whatever you are able to afford and are comfortable spending we only shoot for fun not the meaning of life ,an old Anshultz 54 action is a great rifle some come up in benchrest stocks for a grand.
Need good ammo though whatever you decide to shoot, hard to go past Eley match from my experience .
kind regards Ben

Thanks for that Ben, never a truer word was said. Had another praccy day at the range today with decent weather.
Unfortunately, Tenex availability has dried up here locally here in Oz so playing about with the various offerings from RWS etc. Made a few one holers but nothing spectacular. It's a matter with a .22 rimfire of finding what it likes to eat.

As Arnold Palmer once said about luck "The more I practice the luckier I get" I subscribe to that tenet.

Local dealer also has a s/hand BRNO .22 BR based rig set-up for .22 BR with tuner etc. It's a L/H stock though with a R/H action so a new stock would add to the price. I wonder why it was sold in the first place though? Was it a forced sale or just a lemon that never worked out? I have known the dealer for many years btw, and spent a few $$$ with him, so might persue this one a bit a bit deeper regarding the history etc.

Regards * Danny *

Hmmm.......did I just buy that Quad with the Lilja? Sounds very familiar.

I'm just responding to the original poster about whether the Quad can "do it" in the context of someone just getting into this game.

I'd still say it's a great option IF you can match the right barrel to it. I would DEFINITELY say yes compared to some of the Suhl "project rifles" I've seen for sale at 1200-1400. As for moving to the Falcon you're right. It's just better in more conditions. But, like so many things we encounter the price differential between that Quad and the Falcon has no direct correlation to scores compared to the increase in cost. Just like a Fulgham front rest isn't 3 times better than a Cowan. But, it IS better and you'll see it in your scores somewhere-sometime. We spend a lot of money to squeeze some extra X's and 10s out of the target. If you're just starting and don't want to have to borrow equipment each match a Quad at $1000 is definitely a great way to start. If the hook gets set deep and you start eyeballinging those other rifles and you can get one past the Chief Financial Officer the Quad will return most, if not all of it's value. I turned down 3 offers within an hour of posting mine. 3 more came in after posting it was "sold pending funds".

Thin crust– I know you'll be very happy.

(Just to clarify mine was not a a sporter. It's a 10.5 pound gun)

(Just to clarify mine was not a a sporter. It's a 10.5 pound gun)

Would you mind clarifying a little more – was the Quad set in a conventional LV stock (3" wide forend) and did it have a tuner fitted?

Brian

And it's new owner is going to have lots of fun with it......... :)

Back