Sako Model 75 Varmint

P

P Corncob Bob

Recently bought a Sako model 75 varminter in 6mmPPC.

From experience, I know the 6mmPPC is accurate, but have never owned a Sako model 75 previously.

Is the Sako model 75 varminter "normally" a good choice for a factory production rifle ?

What are some things to look at to improve performance of rifle ?

Thank You.

Cob

Sako 75 Varminter

Bob,

You have made a great choice. I own a Sako 75/.243 SS Varminter and concider it one of the best rigs I have ever owned. It shoots great and looks good and have never had a problem with it.

Does your Sako 75 have a 8oz set back trigger??? If it does use it for target work and it will improve the over all performance of your rifle.

Hope this helps,

Vic

Sako 75 is a fine rifle. I know the action looks a little delicate...its not. It has a great trigger, and fit and finish is top shelf. As with any factory rifle, a good glass bedding job is a must. Its not that hard or expensive... after that just work up some loads and enjoy a quality rifle! You can safely adjust the trigger down nicely...Good shooting, Gary.
PS I have used 2 of their older action for a couple of great across the course rifles.

Bob,

You have made a great choice. I own a Sako 75/.243 SS Varminter and concider it one of the best rigs I have ever owned. It shoots great and looks good and have never had a problem with it.

Does your Sako 75 have a 8oz set back trigger??? If it does use it for target work and it will improve the over all performance of your rifle.

Hope this helps,

Vic:

I don't know about the 8 ounce set back trigger, as rifle has not arrived to date.

P Corncob Bob: Back in 2,003 I purchased a new unfired Sako bolt action Rifle in caliber 6mm PPC. This Rifle was purchased from an estate kind of thing and had been sitting around for some time like I mentioned unfired and it came with two sets of dies (un-set) and 80 pieces of new Sako 6mm PPC brass.
I do not know what Model designation it is - it could be a Model 75 but it is not marked as such.
It is a single shot with a 23 3/4" heavy barrel.
I have a Leupold 24 power scope with fine crosshairs on it.
The Rifle and scope weigh 10 pounds 14 ounces as set up.
I use VihtaVuori Oy powder in it along with Federal 205M primers and either 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or 68 grain Euber bullets.
The last two groups (5 shots each at 100 yards) I fired with this Rifle produced two splendid groups for me. One group measured .212" (Nolser 70 grainers) and the other group measured .226" (Euber 68 grainers)!
I only bring this Rifle out on special occassions (like a short session of long range Rock Chuck Hunting) anymore.
This Rifle is one of THE most accurate all factory stock Rifles I have ever owned - and I have owned a lot of them.
This Rifle has not been bedded nor have I adjusted the trigger.
I hope you will be as happy with your Sako 6mm PPC as I am with mine.
Best of luck
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have the sako vixen in 22 ppc its the most accurate production rifile i have ever seen and also only gets used on special occasions

Jjason & P Corncob Bob: Yesterday I went down to my gun vault and got out my Sako single shot bolt action Rifle in caliber 6mm PPC.
I searched all over the Rifle for a "Model" number or designation.
NONE was to be found.
Do you (or does anybody else) have an idea as to what Model Sako Rifle I have?
Or any ideas as to where else to ask/look for clarification?
My Rifle has a very heavy blued barrel that is 23 3/4" in length.
TIA for any help or direction.
Hold into the wind
Varmint

Sako 75 Varmint

The Sako 75 has three locking lugs on the bolt, earlier models have two locking lugs.

Corncob Bob

Bob,

Hope this helps,

Vic:

I don't know about the 8 ounce set back trigger, as rifle has not arrived to date.

Bob,

To see if your Sako 75 has a set back trigger, Place a finger "behind" the trigger and push it "forward" until it sets. In this configuration the trigger pull is set at 8oz.
If it does not have a set back trigger you can order one thru Baretta/Sako or Accuflite Arms....

Last edited:
I've owned no less than 10 Sako-75's, down to 5 now. Most have a custom barrel. You will not be disappointed, They a re a bit heavier than a M700 but in my book a better rifle and I can put up with the extra weight. If you don't have rings look into the Sako Optilocks. I have a couple extra sets if your interested.

ML

Riflemeister: My Sako has two locking lugs and no set trigger configuration.
In an off line E-mail I recieved information that my Sako may be an "A 1" Model action?
Well when all else fails - I have now referred to the "Blue Book Of Gun Values" - it appears I have a "PPC Model - Benchrest Model" (the double use of the word "Model" in this Rifles designation seems redundant - but thats what they refer to it as). The Blue Book makes no mention of a numeric action designation for the Rifle or the action used.
And like I said there is no model number or designation on the Rifle at all.
The Blue Book mentions that this model was made from 1989 to 1997.

Addendum: A more thorough reading of the Blue Book provides this additional information. The "PPC Model - Benchrest Model" was only produced from 1989 to 1993 or four years total production time. It was the "Hunter" model in 22 PPC and 6mm PPC that was produced until 1997.

Thanks for the help
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Last edited:
The AI-V (Sako uses Roman numerals) refers to the size of the actions use. AI being the shortest AV being magnum length .Not an actual model designation but rather action size designation. eg...AI ppc length, AII 223 length, AIII 308 length ,AIV 30-06 length, AV H&H, RUM length.

Last edited:
Sako Model 75

Thank you to all whom responded. Seems like owning a Sako rifle will be a pleasant experience.

My rifle is in shipment at this time, so checking for setback trigger is on hold for now.

Sure like the idea of being able to order a setback trigger if needed from Beretta/Sako.

Looking at Sako website, it appears as if Sako also made a Sako model 75 in a Varmint Laminated Stainless, a Varmint Laminated Stainless Fluted, and a custom Varmint Single Shot.

Does Sako still chamber a 6mmPPC in the newer model 85 ?

Old Cob

6ppc Sako's

Thank you to all whom responded. Seems like owning a Sako rifle will be a pleasant experience.

My rifle is in shipment at this time, so checking for setback trigger is on hold for now.

Sure like the idea of being able to order a setback trigger if needed from Beretta/Sako.

Looking at Sako website, it appears as if Sako also made a Sako model 75 in a Varmint Laminated Stainless, a Varmint Laminated Stainless Fluted, and a custom Varmint Single Shot.

Old Cob

Bob,

I found 3 Sako 6ppcs at the Accuflite Arms website. A Sako 491 6ppc single shot; Sako A-1 Deluxe 6ppc and a Sako A-1 6ppc hunter. Accuflite is one of the premier Sako dealerships in North America.

http://home.earthlink.net/~accuflite/AccuSakoDiscontinued.htm

Last edited:
Sako 75 Varminter 6ppc's

Old Cob

I found a few more Sako 75 Varminter 6ppcs. They are not cheap.:)

http://home.earthlink.net/~accuflite/AccuSako75Varmint.htm

Received rifle Friday, and thought I pass on following information on actions that may be helpful to others on available calibers, and associated barrel twist rate, as listed in Sako 75 owner's manual shipped with rifle:

Sako 75 I actions:
17 Remington 1 in 10"
222 Remington 1 in 14"
223 Remington 1 in 12"

Sako 75 II actions: None listed.

Sako 75 III actions:
22 PPC USA 1 in 14"
6 PPC USA 1 in 12"
7.62X39 1 in 11"
22-250 Remington 1 in 14"
243 Winchester 1 in 10"
7mm-08 Remington 1 in 9.5"
308 Winchester 1 in 11"

Sako 75 IV actions:
25.06 Remington 1 in 10"
6.5X55SE 1 in 8"
270 Winchester 1 in 10"
7X64 1 in 10"
280 Remington 1 in 10"
30.06 Springfield 1 in 11"
9.3X62 1 in 14".

Sako 75 V actions:
270 Weatherby Mag 1 in 10"
7mm Remington Mag 1 in 9.5"
7mm Weatherby Mag 1 in 9.5"
7mm STW 1 in 9.5"
300 Winchester Mag 1 in 11"
300 Weatherby Mag 1 in 11"
300 Remington Ultra Mag 1 in 11"
338 Winchester Mag 1 in 11"
340 Weatherby Mag 1 in 10"
375 H&H Mag 1 in 12"
416 Remington Mag 1 in 14".

With all this said, it appear Sako does not make a 75 II action ? - and - With twist rate being 1 in 12" for 6 PPC USA that the Fins may like to shoot a heavier bullet ?

Cob

75 Varmint in .243 Win

I've got a Sako 75 Varmint, laminated, stainless steel, with the single set trigger, chambered in .243 Win, that shoots bugholes with 90 gr Lapua Scenars, at 100 yards. I bought the gun new and it has about 200 rounds fired through it. I know this sounds crazy, but it recoils too much for me. I guess after shooting a 17 lb. 6BR, any factory varmint rifle will probably kick. I'd like to sell the Sako, and build another 6BR target gun.

VarmintGuy

My Sako 75 SS .243 Varminter was $1599 + tax. I bought it 4 years ago and that was with the set back trigger.

Vic

Last edited:
I wish that I paid that price. I paid full retail from Accuflight Arms. I have receipt. ($1850 + $150 for the 30mm stainless Optilok rings/bases) I want $1500, and I'll throw in the fired Lapua brass,(50 pcs.) load data, targets, original box, manuals, bolt disassembly tool, and anything else that came with the weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back