Russian MU-12 Rifle

U

ultramag44

I just received this on Friday, a most unusual & rare rifle. Proof marks show it has been in the UK prior to being imported to the US.
Does anyone have one of these also? If so, what do you think of it.

Russg_zps3eb7d415.jpg

Russb_zpsdb5b410c.jpg

Russd_zps72a6ddae.jpg

Russi_zpse5d4646a.jpg

Russe_zps39aa74a7.jpg

I made a bolt-on scope base. The rifle IS NOT modified. There are 5 D&T'ed holes in the side, male dovetail (M5-.80 thread) so the factory peep sight can be set for eye relief. I made a base and used 3 of those pre-existing holes to bolt it on. Burris Sugnature Zee rings and a spare Weaver 36X. I had all the partsAluminum angle, Weaver rail, screws, washers, lock washers, etc already here, except the M5-.80 Metric Allen bolts. Cost me $1.58 for two 2-packs of bolts @ Lowes.
I hope to shoot it on Sunday.

Russx_zpsc7ea79ce.jpg

Russy_zpsfcdb3358.jpg

Russk_zps023d2364.jpg

Russl_zpsaef4abbf.jpg

Russj_zps7b675269.jpg

Russm_zps80788a16.jpg

I have one. What do I think about it? It's an interesting bit of kit - from the fifties I think. The trigger is a bit of a pain and the bolt-cocking is not exactly 'knife through butter'. I keep thinking I might have a play with the spring - and it would be good to fit another trigger.

Vince (UK)

About the trigger

Roy Dunlap picked up a few of the set triggers while with the US Team in 56. He used one on my 308 FR and sent a spare in case it went bad. It is really rough machine rough but it really works .The funny thing by the post trigger is so you can set it too 1 once. Then sneak up on the post.
Cheers

The firing trigger's "Post" can be moved to one of 5 locations to accomidate the lenght of a shooters finger. The finger rest is also adjustable for position.

Russmm_zps64ea8a1f.jpg

Russll_zps0b5e63fd.jpg

Interestingly enough, the system is designed so the shooter can practice dry fire w/ the bolt open! W/ a bit of framilurization, the 1oz trigger is managable.

Factory peep sight

Russnn_zpsa2f9fd7f.jpg

Back