Ruger M77 MKII Target in 22-250

C

CharlesNJohnson

Does anyone here have any experience with this rifle, opinions, or suggested loads for varmint/target shooting?

I bought one the first year they came out. Back in '92 or '93? Mine actually has a blue receiver and stainless barrel. Heck, it doesn't even have the two stage trigger in it that the ones now do. After a year or two they changed to a brushed stainless receiver and barrel.

In th early years mine was very fond of 53gr. Hornady match bullets over 3031 powder. This combo shot very well and was the demise of many coyotes back then.

I eventually bedded the action and first couple inches of the barrel and now with berger bullets it really is a joy to shoot. I just have to make sure I stay away from bullets with long bearing surfaces on them. For some reason, this gun don't like'em!

For the record, I have a M77V with the tang safety that will shoot circles around the mark II.

I copied & pasted this from another post of mine which is not a 22-250 but yours should make you very happy also: :)

I bought a Ruger Mod77 MII VT S/S Target Gray with the 2 stage target trigger in .220 Swift.

I bought it mainly because over 30 years I had never seen a Ruger VT in .220 Swift that would not shoot 1/4" or less 5 shot groups at 100 yards. There must be some, but I have never seen one.

The accuracy may be because of the Swift and not the rifle???

Right out of the box after breaking in the barrel and working up a load with 55 gr. Berger Match with 4064 powder it has joined all the other Ruger .220 Swifts that I saw shoot so well. (I bought it at Wal-mart). A couple of times it has shot in the high .1s for 5 shots.

I have seen some Coopers shoot pretty good, but NOT better than my Ruger.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Attachments

• SWIFT+EL-CHEEPO.jpg
    SWIFT+EL-CHEEPO.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 910
  • NIGHT BLASTER.jpg
    NIGHT BLASTER.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 931
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an M77V back in the day that never did better than 1.5" @ 100.:( It was a 22-250 that was bedded, floated and trigger worked by the local smith. The trigger was horrible but it was a pretty gun. Sold that turd and never bought another Ruger. Glad to hear they are a much better rifle today.

my neighbor bought a tang 22-250 used and it shot ok but the fired brass was enormous, so we had to rechamber it.

Mine is the SS Target Grey model with the two-stage trigger. I haven't had it that long, been playing around with 50gr V-max and 34.6gr/35.5gr Varget. Also tried 55gr V-max with 33.5gr IMR 4895. All are sub MOA at 100yd, 55gr seem better.
I'm in Canadian prairies, it's really hard to get powder, bullets or primers here last year or so. Gunshops cite border issues or war effort for the shortage.
Hoping to find a good load using components from different mfr that might be more available.

Back