Roy Dunlap custom rimfire action

404tbang

Does anyone have any information about Roy Dunlap making some custom rimfire actions? What time period, how did they perform etc.

Thanks folks, have a Great Independence Day weekend!:)

Greg

Dunlap

Maybe,around a 52 bolt or an Euro Action.He was a very great smith for the RF Free rifle shoot,and 300M shooter.This is really going back aways in shooting history.
Several Shooting/smiths built around the 52 bolt. :)

Roy Dunlap custom action

Howdy 40ezxs! I hoped you would see this and respond! Let me add a bit more info. This is a LEFT HAND action! It has an Eric Johnson barrel. I don't know if Eric helped build it or not. Can't find out if there is a serial # on the barrel. As I understand it, Roy and Eric built some Rem 37s up for the AMU once upon a time. I don't know if they collaberated on this or not.

I called Carl Johnson, Eric's son, last night. He doesn't recall anything about a Dunlap action. He said his dad only sold barrels to Al Freeland. But I remembered that you had 3 Johnson barrels that Benny Sunderhaus put on your rifle.

That is interesting info about custom actions being built around a 52 bolt. When you said a Euro action, pardon my ignorance, did you mean a specific european action or brand that I simply am unaware of? What time frame do you think this would fall into?

While I am at it, which would theoretically shoot better, an Eric Johnson built Ballard, or an Eric Johnson built BSA #12 Martini?

I need as much info on the Dunlap/Johnson collaberation as possible. I am trying to figure out how to buy it. It is hard to find left hand equipment. Since I like classic stuff, being left handed is kinda aggravating. This would have to be fun to shoot!

Any info from anyone on this fine forum would be greatly appreciated!
Take care!
Greg

There is a guy who I think lives in Wisconsin who frequently posts on Rimfire Central. He seems quite knowledgeable re Roy Dunlap. You might try posting there. He goes by, I think, BrianJ. (from memory I did not go check)

Roy wrote extensively in American Rifleman (NRA) in the early 1950's. You might check them if you have access. I'd personally like to see some of his articles.

I own a very early Roy Dunlap thumbhole stock on a Remington 37 and am proud to have it. bob finger

Golden Days of Prone

In hearing Roy at a California 300M Match MTU "shooters" used some of his rifles. Roy was very cutting edge for a few years.He was the teacher on 3P shooting. I was at Bennys once when he received a few johnson barrels.
Actions with 52 Bolts.Sargent from Texas his wife was womwns National Champ. Charlie Huffman an Ohio Smith his were all LH ,he would turn the bolt around and build around it. D.Knoop another Ohio smith a friend of C.Huffman.
The Euro Action,can't recall now.

I know I have a picture of Dunlap's action either in the NRA book of Gunsmithing or Dunlap's own book. I'll try to dig it up. I seem to recall it as a flat sided beast.

Flat Side

Ray Sargent of Texas made a flat or really a kinda square action with the bolt of a 52.His wife won the National Championship with it a few times.

Roy Dunlap

Greg,

I didn't realize a connection between Johnson and Dunlap, if there was one it wasn't much publicized. Roy would however put a customers barrel or his choice on an action.
If you can get a copy of "The Ultimate IN RIFLE PRECISION" Roy has a chapter called "The International Match Rifle" in which are photo's of both his CF and RF action though no info other than Douglas barrel and Thomas trigger.

The AR in May 1992 had an article on Roy Dunlap It mentions (only mentions) his building his own actions including a LH model. A good read.

I have a lot of his old ads dating into the very early 50's and his own literature in the 60's and a letter or two from him but really nothing on his actions.

He mentioned, according to a letter, of building up 30 M52's and 30 M70's for the AMTU in the late 50's, (58 I believe) nothing about his own action to them. I'm not aware of his sending any 37's either. This is not to say he didn't but I've not nay info relating to a 37 AMTU connection.
He did make stocks for the 37 and later 40x as well as the 52.

Roy may have put the barrel on or someone else could have put it on as well as Johnson. In all his writing I can not find any mention of Johnson for barrels. He lists Titus, Sukalle, Ackley, Douglas but not Johnson. A good deal of his work was in CF so this may account for the omission.

He did use a lot of FN actions for CF as well as M70's but mostly factory RF actions.

I too would be interested in hearing what you may find out. What type of stock does it have?

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
Articles

Bob,
In addition to the AR artcles you mentioned and his books he also wrote for "Rifle" magazine in its early years and "Shooters News" in the early 50's.

bjm

Dunlap action

Howdy folks! Thanks for the input!

John Kielly, if you can find that photo, I would appreciate it. From the not very detailed pics I have seen, this appears to be a round action, any comparison would be useful.

40ezxs, you are good, very good! After looking at the pics again, I believe it is a Win 52 bolt. I have read that switching a rh gun to a lh gun is much more difficult than it seems. In this case it is a lh action with a Win 52 bolt.

Bob Finger, that was pretty cool, you mention BrianJ. from rimfirecentral and he posts here shortly thereafter. Is the Dunlap stock on your Rem 37 comfortable? I bet the rifle shoots spectacular!

Brian, the stock on the rifle is a Dunlap thumbhole, with an adjustable butthook. The only reference I have seen regarding Dunlap/Johnson AMTU Rem 37s was a couple of years ago I read about someone shooting the Made in America match at Perry with one. They were supposedly made circa 1962. I thought it was interesting that the 37 was used that long after Remington went with the 40x. Frustratingly, I cannot find it again. About 5 or 6 years ago I saw one of these rifles for sale. It had a Johnson barrel, and all the accessories one could ask for with it. It even had custom bottom metal and triggerguard, as I recall. At the time, I was looking for an "unmolested" 37. I am a little older, and, I pray, a little wiser now.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated! And thank you all for your help!

Greg

Dunlap

Greg,

Dunlap would build rifles using your barreled action or sell you only a semi finished stock to fit your own. This being the case its hard to say who actually put it together. All his stocks came with his bottom metal and its design changed several times, as did the stock design and wood. From about 1958 on the basic stock design remained the same. Close to the same because when you bought one it was fitted to your hand, not a one size fits all.
With the trigger guard and stock photo you can date a Dunlap pretty close.
What type of palmrest does it have and handstop? The palm rest can also help date it.
Is it glass bedded and if so what material?
Is the hook adjust on a radius or flat plane? If flat does the base have a thin cut down from the top so when tightened it squeezes together?

Sounds very interesting but then they all do to me.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunlap

Greg,
According to the AR article his LH actions were "copies" of the 52 so suspect those were round as you are suggesting. He did however make some "square" ones but possibly not in any numbers other than in CF.

bjm

Dunlap action

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the help you guys gave about this rifle!

BrianJ, as much as I would love to say I won the rifle, I did not. I suspect it is worth much more than it sold for, but I simply was/am not able to afford it.

But I had a great time getting to learn a bit more about shooting history and the men who helped make it.

I sincerely hope that the guy that won it enjoys it immensely!

Again, thank you all very much!:)
Greg

This is interesting reading about gunsmiths from 50yrs ago; and I've read some stuff about smiths back in the 20's and 30's. I wonder if any of our current gunsmiths will be held in the same reverence 50yrs from now? Thanks, douglas

No question in my mind. The work of Karl Kenyon will be revered long after we are all gone. He was turning out great stuff 50 years ago and as recently as a few months ago. Now retired his work will only grow in stature. bob finger

Roy Dunlap rifles

Greg,

Dunlap would build rifles using your barreled action or sell you only a semi finished stock to fit your own. This being the case its hard to say who actually put it together. All his stocks came with his bottom metal and its design changed several times, as did the stock design and wood. From about 1958 on the basic stock design remained the same. Close to the same because when you bought one it was fitted to your hand, not a one size fits all.
With the trigger guard and stock photo you can date a Dunlap pretty close.
What type of palmrest does it have and handstop? The palm rest can also help date it.
Is it glass bedded and if so what material?
Is the hook adjust on a radius or flat plane? If flat does the base have a thin cut down from the top so when tightened it squeezes together?

Sounds very interesting but then they all do to me.

bjm

I know that this ia a very old post thread, but Google just brought it up whilst I was searching for something on Roy. I worked for Roy in Tucson from 1961 until 1965 when Uncle Sam said I needed to come work for him in WESTPAC. The poster is correct in that Roy mostly used customers actions or barreled actions and we stocked and bedded them them with our stocks (various kinds). While I was with Roy, we did some rimfire builds, but it was mostly .30 cal match or 1000 yd prone stocks. We also did a great number of M1 Garand accurizations for various Military marksmanship units. During that time he did import a few Russian "Star" .22 target rifles. They were crudely finished, but shot well and had a pretty decent trigger once it was slicked up. Hope that helps.
Dave

I know that this ia a very old post thread, but Google just brought it up whilst I was searching for something on Roy. I worked for Roy in Tucson from 1961 until 1965 when Uncle Sam said I needed to come work for him in WESTPAC. The poster is correct in that Roy mostly used customers actions or barreled actions and we stocked and bedded them them with our stocks (various kinds). While I was with Roy, we did some rimfire builds, but it was mostly .30 cal match or 1000 yd prone stocks. We also did a great number of M1 Garand accurizations for various Military marksmanship units. During that time he did import a few Russian "Star" .22 target rifles. They were crudely finished, but shot well and had a pretty decent trigger once it was slicked up. Hope that helps.
Dave

Hi, Dave,
Wow! I was surprised to see this thread come back up! I started it seven years ago. A left handed Roy Dunlap rifle came up for sale. Boy, was it ever nice. And while I tried to buy it, I got beat on the auction. I love vintage rifles, and that one being left handed, and with an Eric Johnson barrel was juuuust what I was looking for. But, I got beat fair and square. If I'd had the money I'd have bid more, but that's life.

Thanks for the info!

Take care,

Greg

Back