Ron Pence Barrel maker info

M

mistermike

Does anyone have any information about Ron Pence (Pence Precision Barrels)?

I found him mentioned in one article on the web -- a reprint of a 1997 Precision Shooting article -- and some anecdotal info from conversations with Bob Greenleaf.

I have a .22 rf barrel on my sporter that is credited to him and would like some more background.

Best,
Michael

Rod Pence Maker

Mr Mickael I beleive he around Fort Wayne Indiana,I think if you call Sinclair he could give you his Phone number or call John Moreo out of Delhois Ohio he would know for sure

Google it and it will give you some info. The area code for the phone is old so you'll have to check with the phone company to get the new one. I'm not going to put any of his info on this forum because I don't know him or if he even does any work anymore. But you can find some contact info by Google search engine.

Carp

Mike,

Have you shot the gun yet? If so, and it seems accurate enough, it really doesn't matter whose name is on the barrel, but I'm sure you already knew that. And I do understand your trying to document the history of its maker just in case....

Dave

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to Google it again, I only came up with the one article.

Dave - Yes, I have shot the rifle and it's a beauty. It's a 541S that I'll be using as my Sporter this year. As yes, you are correct, I was just interested of the history behind Ron Pence and his barrels.

I have some other queries out to some of the gunsmiths that I understand have used Ron Pence's barrels in the past.

Best,
Michael

Friend mistermike

Friend Michael:

Received your letter this day. I would have to research my billing records back several years to help with your 541....I'm sorry, I simple don't have time to do that....and it would be impossible, of course, for me, or any other gunsmith, to know anything about the condition of one of my (our) used guns.....again...sorry.

I can give you this information though:

I worked with Ron Pence, back, I beleive, in the early 90's....when he first decided to produce rimfire barrels.....bore and groove sizes, lapping etc....

He lives in the northern part of Indiana an I live down south so I have never been socially acquainted with him......phone calls only for the most part.

About his barrels. I built several rifles using them, one was a 40-X for Donna Brown, Louisiana, Missouri. With that rifle, Donna fired a Registered 2400 BRV, BR-50 score, same target as is used in ARA today, same size bull. This was years before the world record in ARA reached 2400.....She still has the rifle, it is still a killer....(Donna is a Pistol Shooter now so the 40-X is in the safe)

Mike, if what I tell you now is inaccurate, I apologize, but, I have in my possession the very first stainless, rimfire, match barrel that Ron ever cut. Again, I'm reasonably sure of this fact.

The barrel is 16 twist, has 6 lands and grooves and has a groove diameter of about .2205"....It has my old 1 degree and 45 Minute, parallel sided, Lapua chamber in it. It is threaded, using the Remington 37 thread pattern, ( approx .775"x20TPI) for a Suhl. I used to always use the 37 Remington thread pattern in my Suhls as it is perfect for the Suhl breech bolt raceway diameter. This barrel is in excellent condition. I removed it some years ago and installed a 16 twist, tight bore Lilja for a customer and took this Pence in on trade, especailly since it's Ron's first cut barrel, again, I'm "reasonably" sure of this fact.

Some of the other Pence barrels I fit were extremely successful.

Good luck with your little 541.

Also, I'm honored that you enjoy my Precision Shooting writings.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Bill,
Thanks for taking the time to think this one over. Your response is very helpful. Every little bit of info I can gain about this benchrest rimfire game just makes me want to get further into it.

The reading and discussions I've had about Ron Pence have been interesting. It seems that he was one of the "go to" barrel makers, especially for center fire.

The more I learn about the history of building accurate rifles, the more I find tidbits of people who made significant contributions; some were considered small steps at the time, but proved to be the push needed to allow others to make the big improvements.

Thanks Bill -- and to all the rest who helped me research this issue.

Best,
Michael

Back