ringing barrel question

C

CurtisWAngel

1st time posting I have a question.
I have a Savage 12BVSS 22-250. I tryed several loads and bullets. Im getting huge groups. I have noticed that when I fire it the barrel seems to be ringing. Is this my imagination? Have you guys ever had this happen? What do I need to do?

You need to yank that barrel off and install a quality barrel from a top name barrel maker like Shilen, Kreiger, Bartlein etc. There are many that are reasonably priced that are prechambered for the Savage rifles that will shoot right out of the box. You probably spent a large part of a new barrel on components to try out and it still isn't working. A junk barrel is a junk barrel, if it rings or not is irrelevant. Cut your loss and move on.

Sometimes you'll get resonance out of a firing pin spring, but if you're hearing ringing, then maybe you've got something metallic touching your barrel, like a scope bell maybe.

You need to yank that barrel off and install a quality barrel from a top name barrel maker like Shilen, Kreiger, Bartlein etc. There are many that are reasonably priced that are prechambered for the Savage rifles that will shoot right out of the box. You probably spent a large part of a new barrel on components to try out and it still isn't working. A junk barrel is a junk barrel, if it rings or not is irrelevant. Cut your loss and move on.

Its a Savage factory rifle. Bought used. And thats probably why they sold it.

Curtis, IMO ringing isn't all bad. I build rifles in which I WANT them to ring. I treat the rifle/stock assembly as a tuning fork and do my best to make them act as one unit.

They RING ;)

Ringing or more of a 'buzzing' sound.

That sound usually means something metal is touching the barrel as it vibrates after firing.

Might be the sling swivel stud up front sitting a little too proud in the barrel channel for starters. See if you can slip a dollar bill muzzel to action ( i am assuming that it is supposed to be free floated.) If u can't things are too tight in the barrel channel. Laminated stocks mostly are pretty good but every once in awhile they can get tweaked if things weren't quite totally set up ( glue between laminates) when inletted.

I have a rifle that gives a ringing sensation when I fire it, but I think it's the stock. I bought a new Lee Six hunter benchrest stock new off ebay from a guy that didn't know what he had. It fits a Rem 700 so I dropped an SPS .308 in it for a poor man's hunter. I put a tuner on it also. Bedding is solid and the barrel has a 1/4 inch gap all around. It shoots good until the last part of the match when the recoil gets to me. I don't know whether to call the sensation a ringing or buzzing. Maybe that's just what happens to my brain after touching off a .308 free-recoil.

I have a rifle that gives a ringing sensation when I fire it, but I think it's the stock. I bought a new Lee Six hunter benchrest stock new off ebay from a guy that didn't know what he had. It fits a Rem 700 so I dropped an SPS .308 in it for a poor man's hunter. I put a tuner on it also. Bedding is solid and the barrel has a 1/4 inch gap all around. It shoots good until the last part of the match when the recoil gets to me. I don't know whether to call the sensation a ringing or buzzing. Maybe that's just what happens to my brain after touching off a .308 free-recoil.

Sounds like you need a 'sissy bag.'

Hollow Stock

I had a Lee Six, that developed a crack. It would make a ringing sound after that. Filled it with foam, and the ringing went away.

Back