Rimfire Sporter Barrel Floating

mrh1958

Just wondering if the barrel on a factory rimfire sporter (with a pillar bedding job done) should be full free floated ? I am reading conflicting reports gunsmiths and online about this subject. I have always floated the barrels on rifles I have bedded. Am I missing something here ?

Some of the lightweight barrels shoot better with some forend pressure. Each barrel is an experiment. You could put a set of tuner screws in the forend and try different options. The old 40x an 52 had them.

Bedding Barrels.....

Some of the lightweight barrels shoot better with some forend pressure. Each barrel is an experiment. You could put a set of tuner screws in the forend and try different options. The old 40x an 52 had them.

This is the correct info...... and the second sentence says it all............

If the barrel is threaded into the receiver, floating may work. If the barrel is attached by a tennon, similar to a 10/22, there is too great a possibility of slight movement so forend pressure is almost mandatory. Good luck.

Ron

Imho

All barrels should be floated. Take a dial indicator mount it up on a non floated barrel see how little pressure will move the barrel. You would not mount a tripod on a barrel would you?

Float barrels

All barrels should be floated. Take a dial indicator mount it up on a non floated barrel see how little pressure will move the barrel. You would not mount a tripod on a barrel would you?

HHHMMMMM...... Guess there are a lot of firearm/stock/pod mfgs.... That you should inform......start with domestic...then go to overseas mfgs.

Just wondering if the barrel on a factory rimfire sporter (with a pillar bedding job done) should be full free floated ? I am reading conflicting reports gunsmiths and online about this subject. I have always floated the barrels on rifles I have bedded. Am I missing something here ?

Conflicting advice here too. The reason there are more than one correct answer is because there are several very different designs of receiver barrel attachment. Some, such as the high dollar match rifles and all custom BR rigs are always free floated. Others, such as Ruger 10-22s and 77-22s are ALWAYS best with some forend support. What make and model are you asking about?

Back