Rimfire Hunting Rifles with extreme accuaracy

S

silvermesa

I am very new to all of this and have some questions.

How does a person find a really high quality .22lr hunting rifle? Is it not available? Does it have to be custom made?

I have searched the net high and low for the last week and came up with two broad generalizations.

A) CZ 452 American is considered by some to be the most bang for the least bucks with ok accuracy.
B) Anschutz 54 action 1700 series is considered more substantial and maybe more accurate but 4 times the cost of the CZ

Does anyone make a competition grade accurate hunting rifle? One that you say to yourself "that is an awesome shooting rifle"

The Cooper 57M. But you have to be willing to pay for it. That what you say you are looking for - doesn't come cheap.

Ruger M77 everyone I know that has one they shoot very very well out the box, put a good scope on and you have the squirrl gun from h*ll.

Semper fi

Look for a good Sako Finnfire with a varmint barrel. Will hang in there with an Anschutz for accuracy at a fraction of the cost.

Brian

Anschutz 1712

I am not sure how deep your pockets are but here is the rifle that I have found to be the best 22 offhand rifle I have ever owned. I own four of these,just to tell you how much I think of them - two standard grades and two Meistergrades with consecutive serial numbers.

Let me say it again, the Anschutz 1712 is THE GUN!!!! Not only do they shoot very well (mine shoots under 1" at 100 meters), they are beautiful! Also, I know of no other 22 that has a roll over cheek piece. Anschutz triggers and the standard by which other triggers are judged.

Have I said I just love these guns.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=206&menu=106&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

George

Last edited:
I know you specifically asked about 22 but since I bought my CZ 452 17m2 with a brooks trigger kit, I don't use anything else on tree rats. Shoots like a laser.
Charlie

Hello!

To answer the question about what I want to spend I would have to admit I started out wanting to spend $1000 on the gun only without optics but as I went along it seems I may need to spend a bit more and am willing to double that amount if I can spend it wisely once! I don't plan to own multiple rimfire guns but one really nice one in my eyes for tree squirrels, some paper puching and occasional varmint use. I was hoping to find a really accurate rifle.

During my research it seemed that some silhouette shooters might purchase the Anschutz 1712 and then rebarrel it plus customize other things. When I looked over here at the benchrest rifles it appears that most all the guns are custom and have different actions, barrels and stocks as compared to any hunting rifles. I just started to wonder is a factory made hunting sporter very accurate after seeing all the customizations being made?

All of your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I have a Cooper 57M that shoots lights out for a hunting rifle topped with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5 to 20. As a bench rest rifle it won't hold its own to any of them. But, I don't expect it to. No way you want a 1.5 oz trigger on any hunting gun! If you want it for $2K I'd sell it to you. bob

Another option is to check the Classifieds on this Forum. I've purchased a couple from here and they are AMAZING. Thanks Dave W, Brian V. BTW these have been WELL under your 1K price .

Last edited:
I have used the same old Savage Anschutz 54 for about 35 years. I've tried Remington, Winchester, Ruger, CZ, Kimber, no Cooper, and the old
SA is the one I always pick; it is just an extension of my hand. With its old purple Leupold 4x set parallax free at 50 yards, it is a very nice rig. Of course, it is a bit beaten and somewhat scratched from being carried a few miles. Once shot it nearly 10,000 times in 2 weeks on the job and it never failed.

Whatever the new version happens to be, it probably would be hard to beat.

Jim

Well,
I hope to have pics of my tin can gun soon, metal work only. I have an unfired 40x RF receiver with a new Kiff bolt. I sent it to Dan Armstrong to replace the butt ugly bolt handle, install a Winchester[PT&G] 3 POS safety and install a Shilen trigger. Richard Gorham has a Taperlapped Shilen ratchet barrel in CM to fit to it. Kerry Stottlemeyer is making the custom scope bases for it. I will use Talley rings. I'm looking for a real nice piece of Walnut to build a nice custom hunting stock for it. I will really be disappointed if I can't kill a lot of cans!

There are a bunch of options, just depends on $$ and what is "acurate" in your book.........

The Savage rifles are hard to beat for the money. Nothing comes close. $150-$400
Next step up is CZ. Fantastic rifles and your odds of getting a real tack driver are good. $350-$500
Sako Finfire (there are still some around) and the Weatherby XXII bolt action (which is an Anschutz with Weatherby markings) $600-$800
Anschutz......Nuff said! $800-UP
Cooper, beautiful, luxury, accurate as all get out. $1200 - UP

But the absolute best deal today in a rimfire rifle is the CMP Kimber 82G "Rusty" for $400.........Modify the stock or replace it with a hunting profile (see GunBroker for a bunch of replacement Kimber stocks), have the heavy barrel turned down or keep it Varmint weight........And practice your shots because you only get one...It's a single shot action.

You can read all about it here: http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/kimber-82g-from-the-cmp.html

Anchutz 64 MPR would be a good consideration out of the box. The stock is good for off hand shooting and would make a good entry level competative gun if you got intirested in that kind of thing. Mine has killed more squirls tha paper to date.

Another choice is New Ultra Light Arms, Very light weight hunting rifles, well built and accurate, as well as available in RT or LT hand, only available with synthetic stock though so if you want pretty go with Cooper. I have both and they are both really nice but they have a totally different feel from each other due to stock dimensions.
Dennis

Last edited:
Check out the new high-grade Savage bolt-actions with the accu-trigger. I've read excellent reports on their accuracy. Probably a best-buy!

Hello!

To answer the question about what I want to spend I would have to admit I started out wanting to spend $1000 on the gun only without optics but as I went along it seems I may need to spend a bit more and am willing to double that amount if I can spend it wisely once! I don't plan to own multiple rimfire guns but one really nice one in my eyes for tree squirrels, some paper puching and occasional varmint use. I was hoping to find a really accurate rifle.

During my research it seemed that some silhouette shooters might purchase the Anschutz 1712 and then rebarrel it plus customize other things. When I looked over here at the benchrest rifles it appears that most all the guns are custom and have different actions, barrels and stocks as compared to any hunting rifles. I just started to wonder is a factory made hunting sporter very accurate after seeing all the customizations being made?

All of your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

The reason you are seeing the Anschutz guns rebarreled for competition is that they are buying Anschutz 54:18 actions with heavy barrels that are not legal for the NRA Hunting Class of gun. They want the heavier match Anschutz 54 actions because their circle of friends thinks the triggers are better than the ones on the lighter 54 sporter actions and you cannot the same trigger with a sporter rifle or a sporter barrel in a barreled action so are forced to rebarrel. Also there is a lot of class snobbery going on - if "we" shoot this brand custom barrel and this brand custom stock in this heavier action/trigger we are better than "them".

I shoot along side of the Anschutz guns that have been re barreled. Shooting off hand you will never, ever know the difference as it is only able to be seen if you are shooting in ideal conditions off a bench rest at distances. The difference is at most a 1/16th of an inch at 100 meters. So don't be misled into thinking the Anschutz barrels are somehow inferior and that you need to re barrel them.

After all you are asking about a hunting gun that at most needs to be able to hit a squirrel head at 100 yards if you do your part and factory Anshutz barrels in Model 54 sporter guns will do it with proper ammo .

Last edited:
Well,
I hope to have pics of my tin can gun soon, metal work only. I have an unfired 40x RF receiver with a new Kiff bolt. I sent it to Dan Armstrong to replace the butt ugly bolt handle, install a Winchester[PT&G] 3 POS safety and install a Shilen trigger. Richard Gorham has a Taperlapped Shilen ratchet barrel in CM to fit to it. Kerry Stottlemeyer is making the custom scope bases for it. I will use Talley rings. I'm looking for a real nice piece of Walnut to build a nice custom hunting stock for it. I will really be disappointed if I can't kill a lot of cans!

2011_02090016.jpg

here's my can killer, butt ugly kiff bolt handle, stith stock, Voelker put it together. Thanks, Douglas

I shoot along side of the Anschutz guns that have been re barreled. Shooting off hand you will never, ever know the difference as it is only able to be seen if you are shootingnin ideal conditions off a benchrest at distances. The difference is at most a 1/16th of an inch at 100 meters. So don't be misled into thinking the Anschutz barrels are somehow inferior and that you need to rebarrel them.]

Very true, I changed the barrel on my Finnfire for a Lilja and it's no better than the original (also no worse) and that's off a bench. A good barrel is a good barrel no matter who makes it.

Brian

nice "can killer" by the way Douglas :)

Douglas,
When I get mine done we will have to have a tin can killing. Your rifle is beautiful. Mr Voelker can build a rifle!
Butch

Back