Rimfire Crowns Which is Best ?

mrh1958

Is there any certain crown style thats better than others? I have a rifle now that has a flat crown, no chamfer and wondered if thats a normal thing.

Is there any certain crown style thats better than others? I have a rifle now that has a flat crown, no chamfer and wondered if thats a normal thing.

The eleven degree crown was always considered to be the target crown. Rumor has it the eleven degrees is the spray pattern out of the barrel. May just be an old wife’s tale. I think it far more important that the crown is even all the way around and has no burrs. The countersink is to protect it from damage be it eleven degrees or flat. That is my 2 cents
TKH

The eleven degree crown was always considered to be the target crown. Rumor has it the eleven degrees is the spray pattern out of the barrel. May just be an old wife’s tale. I think it far more important that the crown is even all the way around and has no burrs. The countersink is to protect it from damage be it eleven degrees or flat. That is my 2 cents
TKH

How is Tony? I hope well sequestered in lovely Punxsutawney.
In today’s Rimfire benchrest world why other than a flat crown? (Unless your shoot’n iron is sans a tuner.)
The tuner certainly is protection for the crown.

Ralph

In today’s Rimfire benchrest world why other than a flat crown? (Unless your shoot’n iron is sans a tuner.)

Ralph

Ralph,

I'm hunkered down. So far no cases of the virus in Jefferson County and only 6 in Indiana county Pa. but we are being careful. Hope everyone is.

Tuners sticking out there do keep from nicking the crown except for the damage the jag can do and we have Delrin rod extensions that help with that.

That leaves why we need eleven degree crowns? They are easy to cut and they look good. Much better than a counter sunk flat. IMHO

Hope you are doing well and not shooting up all your match ammo out of boredom.

TKH

The crown in question is countersunk, but flat, it looks fine with a bore scope. If memory serves me correctly Winchester 52 Target rifles had flat crowns.

Ralph

There is one important reason why, and a tuner is useless for the biggest reason for crown damage.
One hell of a lot of guys run a brush way out in front of the muzzle....way too far.
Then, compounding the issue is when they reverse it, often, way too fast.
God forbid if you have a ferule with a slight edge, etc.
While I suspect it matters not what crown performs best, properly done, the 11 degree crown offers a slight transition to the interior with a bit of additional safety.

Last edited:
Back