Rimfire Chamber Cleaning Suggestions

bigh

Looking for suggestions about how to best clean a rimfire chamber. I have read several different ways to do this, everything from using a worn bronze bore brush short stroked into the chamber and leade to using JB's on a patch wrapped nylon brush to using a nylon brush short stroked with solvent only. I would be a little concerned about using the worn bronze brush as I have been always told never to reverse a brush in the bore. What method do some of you gentlemen use and why. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bigh,
I’m surprise that no one has responded to your post sooner, so let me be the first. I had a concern similar to yours when I noticed a certain brand of ammo left scorch marks on some of the ejected brass, I stopped using that brand of ammo. If your brass comes out in the same condition as it went in, minus the bullet, then I would not consider a special chamber cleaning necessary. Just continue with your standard cleaning practice. If, however, your brass comes out scorched and you have tried different brands of ammo with the same result, then you may have a more serious decision to make other than chamber cleaning.

Bob

So, here's the deal. If you don't have a bore scope your just guessing. If you keep careful records of how many shots it takes before your gun starts to loose accuracy between cleanings you can go along very well without the bore scope knowing that your particular cleaning regime works for so many rounds, simple plan. Every gun will be different and ammo brands will be different.
I shoot both Eley and Lapua. What I find in my particular rifles is that Eley builds up chamber crud faster that Lapua in every rifle I have with every barrel I have, that would be Benchmark, Shilen, Broughton, Muller, Lilja and Kreiger as well as factory Remington, Anschutz, Cooper and Kimber. On my match guns I run two wet and two dry patches immediately after every card while it's still soft. With that it keeps the chamber at an acceptable level for several matches with traces of fouling at the 12 o'clock position only. I use a bore scope to inspect between matches and if I see lead build up in the lands or if the ring in the chamber is getting to big I use a bronze brush full length. Generally it only takes about three passes to bring things back into normal. I don't believe you need to clean to spotlessness only to use 20 rounds to fowl it again.
Barrels change over time, at first they foul at one pace till they break in, then they level out for awhile and towards the end they begin to foul quicker again, at least that's my anecdotal impression.
This is all just my opinion of course and works for me and my guns, others have their own favorite methods. Moses didn't bring down the Ten Cleaning Commandments so we're left to ourselves to find out what works.

Oh, and yes a nice new clean nylon brush and solvent will take out the fouling but it takes a lot of brushing and soaking and if it's leaded up it takes a lot more. I find that I loose interest after the first fifty or so strokes of a plastic brush.

Dennis

So, here's the deal. If you don't have a bore scope your just guessing. If you keep careful records of how many shots it takes before your gun starts to loose accuracy between cleanings you can go along very well without the bore scope knowing that your particular cleaning regime works for so many rounds, simple plan. Every gun will be different and ammo brands will be different.
I shoot both Eley and Lapua. What I find in my particular rifles is that Eley builds up chamber crud faster that Lapua in every rifle I have with every barrel I have, that would be Benchmark, Shilen, Broughton, Muller, Lilja and Kreiger as well as factory Remington, Anschutz, Cooper and Kimber. On my match guns I run two wet and two dry patches immediately after every card while it's still soft. With that it keeps the chamber at an acceptable level for several matches with traces of fouling at the 12 o'clock position only. I use a bore scope to inspect between matches and if I see lead build up in the lands or if the ring in the chamber is getting to big I use a bronze brush full length. Generally it only takes about three passes to bring things back into normal. I don't believe you need to clean to spotlessness only to use 20 rounds to fowl it again.
Barrels change over time, at first they foul at one pace till they break in, then they level out for awhile and towards the end they begin to foul quicker again, at least that's my anecdotal impression.
This is all just my opinion of course and works for me and my guns, others have their own favorite methods. Moses didn't bring down the Ten Cleaning Commandments so we're left to ourselves to find out what works.

Oh, and yes a nice new clean nylon brush and solvent will take out the fouling but it takes a lot of brushing and soaking and if it's leaded up it takes a lot more. I find that I loose interest after the first fifty or so strokes of a plastic brush.............

Excellent method Dennis.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, hopefully more will post their findings cleaning the chambers.

Back