Rimfire and Air Rifle results from the WRABF World Cup in Slovenia

Renegade

For those interested in seeing how the rest of the World shoots in IR50/50 type competitions (WRABF classes are basically the same, shot at 50 meters), you can find the complete results from the recent Championships held in Slovenia here- http://www.benchrest.si/results/

You'll see that Team USA's three shooters did fairly well in the Rimfire Team competition and individually, considering that one of our shooters was a 12yr old and the other two are primarily air rifle br shooters. This is not meant as a brag, rather to show you the possibilities, but I came in Third place overall in the combined LV/HV (10.5/13.5lb) agg, and I haven't shot rimfire since 2010. The next World Championship will be held near Pretoria, South Africa in 2019, and I'd like to have the USA field a strong Rimfire Team for the first time since 2011, where we dominated the competitions on our home turf. If you are interested in making the trip (and possibly taking home a case of ammo as a prize! Lapua donated 100,000 rounds this year!), please contact me at TKBanks98@aol.com.

Todd Banks
2017 Team USA Captain

For those interested in seeing how the rest of the World shoots in IR50/50 type competitions (WRABF classes are basically the same, shot at 50 meters), you can find the complete results from the recent Championships held in Slovenia here- http://www.benchrest.si/results/

You'll see that Team USA's three shooters did fairly well in the Rimfire Team competition and individually, considering that one of our shooters was a 12yr old and the other two are primarily air rifle br shooters. This is not meant as a brag, rather to show you the possibilities, but I came in Third place overall in the combined LV/HV (10.5/13.5lb) agg, and I haven't shot rimfire since 2010. The next World Championship will be held near Pretoria, South Africa in 2019, and I'd like to have the USA field a strong Rimfire Team for the first time since 2011, where we dominated the competitions on our home turf. If you are interested in making the trip (and possibly taking home a case of ammo as a prize! Lapua donated 100,000 rounds this year!), please contact me at TKBanks98@aol.com.

Todd Banks
2017 Team USA Captain

Todd,

Congrats on the team, and your individual success.

Please explain a little about shipping rifles, and equipment overseas to attend a world shoots. Is one allowed to ship enough ammo to shoot practice and shoot all targets?

I'm under the impression that there is such a comprise on what one can take that you really aren't able to shoot your best. Is that true?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Think Six.

TKH

Todd,

Congrats on the team, and your individual success.

Please explain a little about shipping rifles, and equipment overseas to attend a world shoots. Is one allowed to ship enough ammo to shoot practice and shoot all targets?

I'm under the impression that there is such a comprise on what one can take that you really aren't able to shoot your best. Is that true?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Think Six.

TKH
Hi TK, on my past travel (on aircraft) the allowance for ammo was determined by weight, so to travel from the Uk to the USA my weight allowance equated to just over 1000 rounds of 22 rimfire ammo, the same applied on other trips here in Europe. John F.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi TK, on my past travel (on aircraft) the allowance for ammo was determined by weight, so to travel from the Uk to the USA my weight allowance equated to just over 1000 rounds of 22 rimfire ammo, the same applied on other trips here in Europe. John F.

John

When you say it was determined by weight, does that include all rifles, rests, cleaning equipment, gear, etc.

If so, how much total was allowed? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Think Six!

TKH

Hi Tony,
South Africa will be very easy to get rifles and equipment into and out of. The permit application will be filled out online and permit issued at Customs on arrival in SA. This end is pretty simple, too. Arrive at the airport, check in and inform the ticket agent you are traveling with firearms. They will call whatever agency is providing security for the airport itself and TSA, both will inspect the firearms and slap a security item tag on your case. Just make sure that ammo is in a separate case from the rifles. Most airlines limit ammo to 11lbs per passenger, not sure how many rounds that is, but John's reply of 1000 rounds sounds pretty close. That would give you about a brick to practice with, and a brick to shoot the 9 targets if you shoot all three classes. If you travel with a non-shooter, that person can also bring 11lbs. There will also be ammunition available to test and buy during practice at the match, most likely Lapua.

As far as weight of equipment goes, it depends on what class you are flying. Economy class is usually two bags under 50lbs each, plus your carry on. Not sure what business or first class allowance is though. You will definitely have excess baggage charges, count on $100-300 on top of your ticket price.

Hope this helps, and you are considering making the trip!
Todd

Hi Tony,
South Africa will be very easy to get rifles and equipment into and out of. The permit application will be filled out online and permit issued at Customs on arrival in SA. This end is pretty simple, too. Arrive at the airport, check in and inform the ticket agent you are traveling with firearms. They will call whatever agency is providing security for the airport itself and TSA, both will inspect the firearms and slap a security item tag on your case. Just make sure that ammo is in a separate case from the rifles. Most airlines limit ammo to 11lbs per passenger, not sure how many rounds that is, but John's reply of 1000 rounds sounds pretty close. That would give you about a brick to practice with, and a brick to shoot the 9 targets if you shoot all three classes. If you travel with a non-shooter, that person can also bring 11lbs. There will also be ammunition available to test and buy during practice at the match, most likely Lapua.

As far as weight of equipment goes, it depends on what class you are flying. Economy class is usually two bags under 50lbs each, plus your carry on. Not sure what business or first class allowance is though. You will definitely have excess baggage charges, count on $100-300 on top of your ticket price.

Hope this helps, and you are considering making the trip!
Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the response, now I have home work to do.

Thanks again.

Think Six.

TKH

Here's the same.
Within Europe:
Max allowed to ammo (around 5Kg), with a Pelican 1150 case 1k rounds. Lufthansa doesn't have this max, just state an ammo box...

Towards rifles, majority StarAlliance airlines, max 23Kg economics, 32Kg business. In fact, more than 32Kgs and everything goes on a carrier, not on a commercial airline.
TSA locks, coming early to the airport, police control.
You should a couple of days before the departure inform, and pay, the fees to travel with the firearms/ammo cases, on choose airline

Paperwork needed:
Within Europe firearms pass plus invitation from the Country host (on top of firearms docs)
Overseas special police permit and invitation from the Country host (on top of firearms docs)

In Europe, some Countries are an easy come easy go, some a nightmare to enter and others to get out...

Back