Rim Thickness/Head space

H

Hambone

One of my shooting friend is firmly of the opinion that rim thickness and head space count for success in .22 r/f. He has religiously sorted him match ammo by rim thickness and has had his bolt shimmed to reduce his head space by a couple of thou.

Now me I've always just dropped them on the feed ramp and shot regardless.We've both won some and lost some. But over the last year his scores have always been a point or two in front which has given me reasons to doubt my shoot regardless approach.

What say you all?

Buy better ammo, and save leave the sorting and wasted motions to those that believe it helps them.

We both shoot Eley Team in the blue box when we can get it, other wise its Eley Match in the black box. Although I had a pretty good spell with a few boxes of R50 I picked up cheap.

As we only shoot at local club and postal comp level the associated costs of batch testing the likes of Tennex and Lapua would just force us out of the market.

Buy better ammo, and save leave the sorting and wasted motions to those that believe it helps them.

Fred

I hear what you say and until recently I would have said I'm stood firmly on your side of the pitch. But the scores are starting to get to me.

Also spare money is at a real premium right now in the house of Hambone . Time I have plenty of right now

I have a quantity of Eley Club Xtra EPS and Eley Pistol Xtra EPS I bought 4-5 years ago. It shoots great BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, both types shoot an occasional low shot. I have weighed (electronic scales), rim thickness measured, and in some cases just shot them - all resulted in the dreaded low impact spoiling an otherwise great score.

I had given up doing my own sorting until I bought a GemPro 250 scale. It is advertised as accurate to .02 grains. I have just started weight sorting the above ammo and so far have had good results in weeding out the offending cartridges which were spoiling my scores.

This Saturday I will be shooting a 1600 point RF match with weigh sorted ammo for the first time.

Hopefully I will have some happy results to report.

George

I had given up doing my own sorting until I bought a GemPro 250 scale. It is advertised as accurate to .02 grains. I have just started weight sorting the above ammo and so far have had good results in weeding out the offending cartridges which were spoiling my scores.

Unless my math is wrong (usually a good chance of that), .02 grains is about 1.27 milligrams. Pretty small. Do they control the amount of lube that closely? Probably the amount of lube that comes off on your fingers weighs more . . .

But yes, let us know.

Is somebody weighing rounds for the lube weight? I thought they just weighed them to sort out the lighter charged cases?

Is somebody weighing rounds for the lube weight? I thought they just weighed them to sort out the lighter charged cases?
No, I don't imagine anyone is weighting the cartridge for lube weight. My tongue-in-cheek response was aimed at the notion that if you're weighing the whole round, how can you infer any difference in weight is the particular item you're interested in (powder, in this case)? I know guys who weight primers in long-range CF, in the hope they're measuring the charge weight of the primer. Good luck with Federals & their latex covering!

For those that weigh check your weight on spent cases............it will bring up more questions. (I think)

Why do you suggest that?

Do you suggest weighing them all or just the flyers against the non flyers?

I have today picked up cheap, half a brick of '90-'91 produced Tennex from what was supposedly a good batch. Just got to find some time to see how they run for me.

Back in the day, 40 years ago, sorting by rim thickness was the rule. Todays Eley spread is not great enough for me to worry about. I get way fewer fliers from !0-X than Match. I don't bother with Team/Club.

Al Kunard

Back