Rifle match of the year!!!!

tonykharper

We have a new and exciting opportunity.

It has just been made public that Ivan Wells has teamed up with Mike Bush and Company to create an all out true bench rest rifle action and build it into a full up benchrest rifle.

At this same time we have Bill Calfee procrastinating about building a New Spec rifle. Spec 10, The Virginian.

Would it be exciting if these two rifles could compete against each other in September at the ARA Nationals.

Mike Bush and Ivan Wells are both young and energetic. I have every confidence they will be able to complete their rifle in time to make the Nationals.

Bill, on the other hand I'm not so sure. He is old and lazy, so he may not be up to the task. If not, would it be fair to put up another Calfee rifle in the place of The Virginian??

That is one match that would be worth the drive to St. Louie to see!!!!

TKH

Last edited:
True accuracy

We have a new and exciting opportunity.

It has just been made public that Ivan Wells has teamed up with Mike Bush and Company to create an all out true bench rest rifle action and build it into a full up benchrest rifle.

At this same time we have Bill Calfee procrastinating about building a New Spec rifle. Spec 10, The Virginian.

Would it be exciting if these two rifles could compete against each other in September at the ARA Nationals.

Mike Bush and Ivan Wells are both young and energetic. I have every confidence they will be able to complete their rifle in time to make the Nationals.

Bill, on the other hand I'm not so sure. He is old and lazy, so he may not be up to the task. If not, would it be fair to put up another Calfee rifle in the place of The Virginian??

That is one match that would be worth the drive to St. Louie to see!!!!

TKH

Tony,
Ivan is OLD, like 50 something. LOL
:p

The ARA Nationals would be a good choice, but much depends on the shooter, being its an outdoor event. The true test, would be at a indoor match, like the IR50/50 nationals in November, remember X's are accuracy. Or the PSL at Chickenfoot in December, again, X's are accuracy. Bill may have the Virginian done by then, but he will still need to find a good nut, to put behind the bolt. Unless he has found one already.:cool:

Wow, you guys are tough.
Let's maybe let Ivan get it out of the tunnel and run it a couple times before we go right to the " steel cage death match ".:p

Tony,
Ivan is OLD, like 50 something. LOL
:p

The ARA Nationals would be a good choice, but much depends on the shooter, being its an outdoor event. The true test, would be at a indoor match, like the IR50/50 nationals in November, remember X's are accuracy. Or the PSL at Chickenfoot in December, again, X's are accuracy. Bill may have the Virginian done by then, but he will still need to find a good nut, to put behind the bolt. Unless he has found one already.:cool:

George,

I agree an indoor match would reveal more information about the true accuracy of the platforms but that is not exactly what we want at this point.

We should all want the new action to be a success. We need more action options.

Benchresters are slow to adapt to new equipment. They need evidence that new equipment has potential. Beating a Calfee rifle is evidence, especially if it happened right off the bat.

If we put one rifle against another that is 50-50 odds. You will never get better than that.

Bottom line if the Calfee rifle wins, well, we expected it. But if the newcomer wins we have a new option immediately.

The worst thing that can happen is not to take up the challenge.

TKH

Hey, as long as you dropped by, given the information out in the public space. FWIW, I sure hope you don't eliminate a big % of the BR Universe by not considering a stock option to get you to a 10.5 lb. all up weight for the IR 50/50 shooters, most of which run a 10.5 lb. gun for everything except sporter class. Your all up metal weight should be right where it needs to be, finding a LV stock should be very doable. Gotta have bag guns out there, Mike.

George,

1. I agree an indoor match would reveal more information about the true accuracy of the platforms but that is not exactly what we want at this point.

2. We should all want the new action to be a success. We need more action options.

3. Benchresters are slow to adapt to new equipment. They need evidence that new equipment has potential. Beating a Calfee rifle is evidence, especially if it happened right off the bat.

4. If we put one rifle against another that is 50-50 odds. You will never get better than that.

5. Bottom line if the Calfee rifle wins, well, we expected it. But if the newcomer wins we have a new option immediately.

6. The worst thing that can happen is not to take up the challenge.

TKH

1. Then what exactly are "we" looking for, exactly ??:confused:

2. Yes, more action choices wold be great. Hopefully a MD-PAS

3. Nope, they will try and buy anything they think will give them a edge, bloops, mid tuners, super lite triggers, joystick rests......... and lets no forget the FREE one, the PRX. :rolleyes:

4. I agree, but let the rifles tell the story, not the conditions, the true test would have to be indoors. The match will need to include at least two 2500's by the winner to make it legit.:cool:

5. I agree again, when you beat the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be, you can say you made a statement. Wait, that was Brett Hart. Well, you know what I mean. Just like NASCAR back in the day (not now), what wins on Sunday sells on Monday.

6. Knowing Ivan, he is not sweating a challenge.

Hey, as long as you dropped by, given the information out in the public space. FWIW, I sure hope you don't eliminate a big % of the BR Universe by not considering a stock option to get you to a 10.5 lb. all up weight for the IR 50/50 shooters, most of which run a 10.5 lb. gun for everything except sporter class. Your all up metal weight should be right where it needs to be, finding a LV stock should be very doable. Gotta have bag guns out there, Mike.

I wouldn’t miss it Tim and I appreciate TKH recognizing such a grand opportunity and stirring up (in a good way) the masses.

I’ve had a good number of guys ask about IR50/50 and plan to do something for that side of things. Let’s try to catch up soon....

MB

I wouldn’t miss it Tim and I appreciate TKH recognizing such a grand opportunity and stirring up (in a good way) the masses.

I’ve had a good number of guys ask about IR50/50 and plan to do something for that side of things. Let’s try to catch up soon....

MB

Happy 4th, will do.

The big match preparations are going on.

SPEC 10, The Virginian has fired test groups. www.wwaccuracy.com/showthread.php?6043-Friend-Big-Dog&p=29710#post29710

I can't really tell but it looks to me this would be a world record group. Looks like things are progressing.

Sometime back MB posted pics of his groups.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-single-shot-br-f-class-action.7001695/page-4

Looks like most of these groups would have been world records.

Still waiting for Ivan to post his groups or targets.

This is getting interesting.

TKH

Last edited:
Still no pics of the Ivan Wells version of the New Voodoo BR action build??????

Is it possible this is a target shot with the new Voodoo BR action?

150 tgt.jpg

I don't know, but it is a really good target.

TKH

Ding Dong the match is dead!

It is official, Bill Calfee has announced his new build will not be Spec 10, The Virginian. Something to do with couldn't get the signage right.

He did say if he ever does complete this build it would be called "Jimmy Jack". Jimmy Jack is a distant cousin of "Apple Jack".

And of course Apple Jack was a loveable character out of Dolly Pardon's childhood.

All is not lost.

MB and Ivan have been busy creating a whole new RFBR shooting game called Bullet Pro 150.

Bullet Pro 150 will have it's own target, classes, and rules. It may even become a new sanctioning body.

They are going to introduce the new Vudoo V22S BR/F Class action and completed rifles at the inaugural event. Not just one rifle, but different versions.

Ivan has already recruited a ringer to shoot his rifle complete with the whole package.

MB is rounding up everyone from Daniel Boone to Quigley to shoot his builds.

Folks this is RFBR history in the making.

Like the commercial says "You just have to think bigger."

I believe "LOVE" is the answer but I carry a handgun!

TKH

Last edited:
It is official, Bill Calfee has announced his new build will not be Spec 10, The Virginian. Something to do with couldn't get the signage right.

He did say if he ever does complete this build it would be called "Jimmy Jack". Jimmy Jack is a distant cousin of "Apple Jack".

And of course Apple Jack was a loveable character out of Dolly Pardon's childhood.

All is not lost.

MB and Ivan have been busy creating a whole new RFBR shooting game called BulletPro 150. Very True.

BulletPro 150 will have it's own target, classes, and rules. It may even become a new sanctioning body. Very True

They are going to introduce the new Vudoo V22S BR/F Class action and completed rifles at the inaugural event. Very True Not just one rifle, but different versions. Not an accurate statement.

Ivan has already recruited a ringer to shoot his rifle complete with the whole package. Not accurate

MB is rounding up everyone from Daniel Boone to Quigley to shoot his builds. Not accurate

Folks this is RFBR history in the making. Very True

Like the commercial says "You just have to think bigger." Without a doubt!

TKH

TKH, I really appreciate your excitement and passion as it relates to what's happening and I think it's awesome to see the level interest that has come to the surface. In the spirit of keeping things relevant, I've added some notes to the above quote so we all have good info. As I stated on another forum, the primary focus is the shooting community and how we serve those that take the time and make the effort to join us in this inaugural event.

While it's true there will be new rifles and actions there, we don't yet have a driver but are discussing a short list of possibilities. Ivan and I will be very busy in various areas, as will a number of volunteers. Lapua will be there with us as one of the title sponsors and we're putting quite a prize table together as well with other manufacturers that have reached out and asked to participate. So, first and foremost, this inaugural event is about the shooters, especially the multitude of new shooters that have signed up.

Of course, I'm all about the spirit of competition and I'm quite certain this part of the event will unfold accordingly. We're doing things a bit different for good reasons that are supported by good data, so this will be a lot fun to see the outcome.

Thanks TKH, I really appreciate your efforts,
MB

TKH, I really appreciate your excitement and passion as it relates to what's happening and I think it's awesome to see the level interest that has come to the surface. In the spirit of keeping things relevant, I've added some notes to the above quote so we all have good info. As I stated on another forum, the primary focus is the shooting community and how we serve those that take the time and make the effort to join us in this inaugural event.

While it's true there will be new rifles and actions there, we don't yet have a driver but are discussing a short list of possibilities. Ivan and I will be very busy in various areas, as will a number of volunteers. Lapua will be there with us as one of the title sponsors and we're putting quite a prize table together as well with other manufacturers that have reached out and asked to participate. So, first and foremost, this inaugural event is about the shooters, especially the multitude of new shooters that have signed up.

Of course, I'm all about the spirit of competition and I'm quite certain this part of the event will unfold accordingly. We're doing things a bit different for good reasons that are supported by good data, so this will be a lot fun to see the outcome.

Thanks TKH, I really appreciate your efforts,
MB

MB,

I am excited. We have tried for years to make RFBR draw more shooters with only limited success. If this helps in that regard we all benefit.

But now I'm a little confused. I thought your production BR rifles were different from the ones Ivan built.

Ivan said exactly that. Here is his quote "The actions I have will not be the same as the one that goes into full production.

He also said he had a shooter that was going to be shooting his whole package and ammo.

Here is his quote. "On another note, Shelby Matoy will be shooting my complete package with the best ammo I have. I hear she's pretty tough in the ABRA."

Are you saying this is not the V22 BR/ F class action Vudoo package? But one of Ivan's 10X packages?

OK, you got me. I know you aren't really trying to get Daniel Boone and Quigley to shoot your rifles. But you did say you are looking for a top 5 shooter to do it, did you not?

Whatever, it will be a great way to get this thing started and to break the boredom from the stay at home Virus.

I believe "LOVE" is the answer but I also carry a handgun!

TKH

Last edited:
Same thing confused me Tony. But a top 5 shooter ought not to be hard to find. There are at least 50 of them. Depends on where you look.

MB,

I am excited. We have tried for years to make RFBR draw more shooters with only limited success. If this helps in that regard we all benefit.

But now I'm a little confused. I thought your production BR rifles were different from the ones Ivan built.

Ivan said exactly that. Here is his quote "The actions I have will not be the same as the one that goes into full production.

He also said he had a shooter that was going to be shooting his whole package and ammo.

Here is his quote. "On another note, Shelby Matoy will be shooting my complete package with the best ammo I have. I hear she's pretty tough in the ABRA."

Are you saying this is not the V22 BR/ F class action Vudoo package? But one of Ivan's 10X packages?

OK, you got me. I know you aren't really trying to get Daniel Boone and Quigley to shoot your rifles. But you did say you are looking for a top 5 shooter to do it, did you not?

Whatever, it will be a great way to get this thing started and to break the boredom from the stay at home Virus.

TKH

I stand corrected Tony, you have more recent info than I do, which is an illustration of just how fast all this is moving. And, Ivan is correct, what he's doing is different than what the factory is doing....I simply misunderstood the context. I think I need to take a nap....

Yessir, I did say that, but in my sleep deprived state, maybe I should take the rest of the day off....:D

Yessir, correct again, a great way to break the boredom down and get people outside again....as I stated earlier, I'm happy that you're excited.

Thanks,
MB

Mike, I have tried to follow carefully what you have incorporated into your pending BR offering.
Could you offer, even generally, any information as to possible refinements/changes Ivans input will have in production units ?

Mike, I have tried to follow carefully what you have incorporated into your pending BR offering.
Could you offer, even generally, any information as to possible refinements/changes Ivans input will have in production units ?

Yessir, it's mostly tighter tolerances in some key areas and some additional threaded features to offer redundancy for alignment, etc. I also increased the diameter of the eccentric pin that protrudes from the main body of the firing pin (it's a one piece firing pin) and slightly refined the location of the crescent impact. Outside of Ivan's review, I added an integral set of 11mm dovetails for Kelbly rings, but you'll also be able to use a multitude of other mounts/rails on top of the integral mounts. The single shot is quite a departure from what I've been doing with the repeaters, so only a few of the same components carry over from the repeaters. In essence, the single shot was from a clean sheet of paper.

MB

Back