Rifle Balance

Target 58

I would like to learn about the proper balance of a BR rifle. Does this relate to the center of gravity? What's a best practice?

I want it to balance right about the front of the action
I'm a relatively new shooter, but I've never given much thought about balance. Can I assume this balance point would be advantageous for most long guns? I wouldn't think balance is very important when shooing from a bench with the muzzle and butt stock both being supported, no?

Proper BR rifle balance is generally where the rifle balances about an inch or two forward of the action. You can test this by placing your rifle on a narrow rest like a dowel rod. Many believe balance effects recoil management and, ultimately, accuracy.

I'm a relatively new shooter, but I've never given much thought about balance. Can I assume this balance point would be advantageous for most long guns? I wouldn't think balance is very important when shooing from a bench with the muzzle and butt stock both being supported, no?
In Benchrest the rifles are usually not supported at the muzzle but a few inchs back on the forend of the stock. This allows for the stock to recoil with out falling out of the front bag and will not interfere with barrel vibration.. If the weight of the gun is to far forward the rifle will have a tendency of have the butt stock bounce up on recoil which will give you low impact on the target and if butt stock is to heavy it will affect barrel rise on recoil which can create a high impact on target. If you hang on to the gun, balance will have less effect but can you hold on to the gun exactly the same for all 5 shots and not affect the point of impact?

Super important, especially shooting free recoil which most do.
Nothing worse than the butt of the gun being “ bouncy” in the rear bag, why the best stocks allow for weight back there.
A weight class rifle , often, will not allow perfect balance but you want as much weght back there without going over.
You also want somebody to watch the gun recoil to see if it comes straight back in the rear bag. I’ve seen guys that never realize that’s an issue until observed.

Back