Retracting Toolholder

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Was surfing around the PM forum and came across a thread with links to this site http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html that discussed a retracting toolholder for threading. Pretty clever idea in that you just pop a lever to retract the cutting bit and don't have to pull the cross-slide back. That way you're always advancing the cross-slide on each pass.

Now, has anyone here built one of these things?

Ifanger

Ifanger make a tool that does exactly that.

As Don says the Hardinge HLV has this feature built in but this is the only lathe that I know with this feature, while the Ifanger retracting tool holder can be used on any lathe.

This is a fantastic tool for threading and I use mine all the time.

Ian

lfanger info

Where can I find a lfanger retractable tool holder?

thanks

Did some googling yesterday and found that Alouette Tool Co in NY sells some ifanger products. They have a link to ifanger that is a Swiss Co that makes all kind of cutting tools. I was unable to find a retracting tool holder on either web site. Guess a phone call is in order, to NY not Switzerland. :D

Retracting tool holder..

If I had or made one of these it would have to be spring loaded so when you disengaged it, it would automatically withdraw from the stock being threaded. I have already made an automatic halfnut disengager this tool with a spring loaded retraction would allow for cutting right up to the shoulder and no cheater groove.
Rustystud

Some photos

Here are some photos of the Ifanger tool holder, it doesn't need any springs to ensure retraction. The lever acts directly on the blade holder. The blades are available for 60 deg and 55 deg threads.

Blade2.jpg

Notice the blade can be rotated

Extended.jpg

This is with the blade in the forward position

Withdrawn.jpg

A flip of the lever and the blade retracts, and clears the barrel shoulder

There are 3 different sizes of this holder size number 2 (the smallest) 3, and 4 and according to the catalogue I have. The tool holders are called "Special threading tool holder RS"
The size is determined by the height of lathe centres above tool rest,
The #2 is for 18mm centre height
#3 is for 24mm centre height
and the # 4 is for 26mm centre height

I know of a #3 holder for sale with new 60 deg blade.

This tool holder was listed in the last pdf catalogue that I downloaded and still have it's a bit over 4mb in size so if anybody wants a copy PM me with your email.

Ian

Last edited:
If I had or made one of these it would have to be spring loaded so when you disengaged it, it would automatically withdraw from the stock being threaded. I have already made an automatic halfnut disengager this tool with a spring loaded retraction would allow for cutting right up to the shoulder and no cheater groove.
Rustystud

Rusty,
Would you happen to have any prints or drawings of the auto halfnut disengager that you'd like to share? PM or email me if you'd like.

Half Nut disengager..

Richard Franklin in Virginia sells a video tape on making a half nut disengager.

What he made would not work on my lathe so I took the fundemental idea and made my own version.

My half nut leaver engages by pushing it down when the appropriate dial number passes the mark on the halfnut housing.

To disengage it one lifts up on the halfnut handle up.

I engaged the half nut (lathe not running) and marked the part that the handle is screwed into at the 6:00 o'clock position. I removed it an drilled and tapped (1/4x20tpi) a hole at the mark so I could insert a 4 inch screw to be my second leaver handle. I made a fixed rail below that screw that I could clamp another rail above it and slide it back in forth the about 12 inches in the direction of the way on the headstock end. The top part of the rail has a piece of black iron pipe welded to it . There is a plunger rod (round stock) that slides back in fort in the pipe. The plunger rod is drilled and tapped for a screw to attach one end of a spring. The other end of the spring is attached to the other end of the tub housing. This plunger rod is like a trigger in a rabbit gum. It has a notch milled out and is cocked and locked with spring tension. This rod when tripped slides out and pushes the screw sticking down in the half nut engager. The top of the rail has a 90 degree rocker that is pushed by the carriage and rocks over and trips the spring loaded rod that jumps up the tubing and knocks the screw forward and disengages the half nut. There is a set screw on the rocker for fine adjustment and the location of the upper rail is the course adjustment. With a little trial and error adjustment one can get the half nut disengaged at the exact same thread every time. I had great fears of crashing my lathe but after some time gained faith in my invention. I have never had a crash from this yet..
I will try to take a picture and post it for you. This is a very crude and if I were to do it again I would use square tubing and a square plunger to keep it aligned better.
Rustystud

Pratt and Whitney lathes had them built into the cross slide. All hydraulic automatic lathes ever built (practically) had them built in.

Where I worked we had a Duplomatic threading attachment on one of our lathes,it came with different cams for the length of the thread,you could set the start and stop points and the depth of the thread.It would cut the threads with no manual retraction,start to finish.Great for working between shoulders.

There are 3 different sizes of this holder size number 2 (the smallest) 3, and 4 and according to the catalogue I have. The tool holders are called "Special threading tool holder RS"
The size is determined by the height of lathe centres above tool rest,
The #2 is for 18mm centre height
#3 is for 24mm centre height
and the # 4 is for 26mm centre height

I know of a #3 holder for sale with new 60 deg blade.

This tool holder was listed in the last pdf catalogue that I downloaded and still have it's a bit over 4mb in size so if anybody wants a copy PM me with your email.

Ian

Found the catalogue and the holder. Now to find a source and price.

Jerry

Did you mange to find who the Ifanger dealer is in the US and if these tool holders and blades are still available?

I can still buy new blades in NZ and the local dealer still has a few #3 tool holders available.

Ian

Did you mange to find who the Ifanger dealer is in the US and if these tool holders and blades are still available?

I can still buy new blades in NZ and the local dealer still has a few #3 tool holders available.

Ian

The toolholder is still listed in the current ifanger catalogue. Alouette Tool Co in NY carries some ifanger products but didn't show the toolholders on their web site. I've sent an email to Alouette inquiring about it and am awaiting a reply. Alouette was the first company to show up when I googled ifanger. I'm going to try that again and see if I get any more hits.

Back