Removing stock tape

VinceB

Guys,
I accidentally damaged the stock tape on the fore-end of my benchrest rifle. What's the best way to remove it without damaging the paint job?
Thanks in advance
Vince (UK)

Carefully peel it off then use mineral spirits on a cloth (old tshirt works well) to remove any stickup left behind. When I first tried this I was afraid the mineral spirits would damage the paint, but I've done this several times and had no problem.

Get some automotive adhesive remover from an auto paint store. I think it's a 3M product. It's the best stuff I've used for tape, decals, etc removing and it's not harmed any paint I've used it on.

Vince, use a blow dryer to heat it up first. Then it will peel right off. It will make your life a whole lot easier.
Mike

Vince,
I have used the hair dryer method and it worked well for me. The little bit glue residue left over came off with alcohol.
Jim

Guys,
Once again, thanks for your speedy assistance.

For those who may have the same problem - I found that the hair-dryer made it much easier to peel off but it does leave a bit more adhesive behind than if you peel it off cold.

I used some automotive carb. cleaner to remove the residue, which it did without removing the paint and left a good clean surface for the new tape.

Vince (UK)

In the future,

Guys,
Once again, thanks for your speedy assistance.

For those who may have the same problem - I found that the hair-dryer made it much easier to peel off but it does leave a bit more adhesive behind than if you peel it off cold.

I used some automotive carb. cleaner to remove the residue, which it did without removing the paint and left a good clean surface for the new tape.

Vince (UK)

Use WD-40 or a VERY MILD solvent, like Stoddard, to get teh goo off. Amazing that the carb cleaner did not attack the paint. Last cleaning before you reapply the tape is best w/ alcohol. Leaves NO residue and dries quick

Back