Remington trigger adjustment help?

robertb

I'm having some trigger woes after adjusting a remington trigger (non X-Mark Pro trigger) on my LTR. I followed these directions:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/crisp.html

However, here is what I'm seeing which I wondered if this is normal:

1) Trigger has always had a little creep which I can deal with. The factory trigger broke @ 6.5 lbs. which was too heavy so I wanted to adjust it to 2.5-3 lbs. The only two screws I messed with were the trigger stop and trigger weight screws on front of trigger.

2) I did the slam, bump, safety test to see if anything would trip trigger and it would not. However, I noticed that when the safety is on, the trigger will wiggle around (side to side and front to back). However, when I turn the safety off, the trigger firms up and works as normal with no wiggle whatsoever.

3) After firing, the trigger wiggles once again like above. However, during the firing sequence, I have some creep (about the same as original settings) but I have absolutely no backlash.

4) I adjusted this trigger to break at approx. 3 lbs. and I'm seeing the trigger stack from 2.75 - 3.50 lbs. Am I going to light with this trigger?

To sum things up, why am I seeing the trigger wiggle when the safety is on or pin is relaxed and why am I seeing the trigger stack with varying weight?

trigger woes

usually when your pull weight varies that much,you have little or no return spring tension(pull wt. screw/bottom fromt one) just the two sear surfaces riding against each other .Back out or remove your two screws in front of trigger along with the return spring,this will allow you to take the "L" trigger lever out,pay attention to what surface your sears engage,polish that surface,along with the trigger sear that engages it .A good firm cloth wheel embedded with some iosso or j-b bore paste works well with wheel attached to a electric drill.Doesn't take very long to get a very smooth surface,put the trigger all back together and try it,the trigger needs to be removed from action to do all the above.To remove creep in a remington trigger usually have to give it less sear,but more spring tension to be safe if polishing doesn't help,If you don't understand all the above,probably need to visit a good gunsmith.I can usually get about a 26 28 oz. safe trigger by doing the above.

The reason for the wiggle is when the safety is on the trigger itself is unloaded. Watch the back of the firing pin or cocking piece when you push the safety to fire or safe. The cocking piece will move. When on safety, the pressure from the firing pin is supported by the safety and the trigger is under a no load condition. Upon pushing the safety to fire, the cocking piece comes forward just so slightly and loads the internal parts of the trigger. This is what is firming up your trigger when you push the safety to fire.

Do what terry suggested and lightly stone and polish the critical parts of the trigger. This will definitely help. I use jewelers rouge but what he suggested will work. Also, you can get a softer aftermarket letoff spring from http://www.gunsprings.com/ I see a more consistent break using this spring. The old spring you can use for a helper spring under your pickup:D

You should have a little backlash... adjust it so it has a little and that may prevent a dangerous situation in the future...

I gave up adjusting triggers myself. My last two were shipped to Neil Jones Custom Products. The best $65.00 I've ever spent.

Wade

Back