Remington Model 37 Question:

M

Michael Petrov

I just picked up a Remington Model 37 with an after market barrel by A. Hubalek, Brooklyn which would date the barrel to pre-1952. The rifle has an after market trigger marked “Leon G. Thomas”. Can anyone tell me anything about Mr Thomas and the years that he worked? The trigger seems finely made although I have only shot it twice into the wood pile.

Thanks for your help, Michael

203058.jpg

Thomas TRigger

Some Info on the Thomas trigger.
I think the barrel and trigger date the action a little older than you posted.

I have heard about, but never seen a real, Anderson Thomas trigger.

It was a mid 1930s design and all I have on it is the attached patent drawing.

I will call around to some of the old timers I know and see if I can come up with more.

I have posted this text and leave posting the picture to you.

Hap

Michael,
You always find some jewells. You deserve it as you know and research more than most people. I have enjoyed your books and articles.
Butch

Hap, The only date I can go by is when Hubalek died which was 1952 so I know the barrel was made before that, he started making barrels circa 1925, the Remington 37 were made from about 1937-1954. I don't see any trigger information a link or patent drawing?

Butch,

Thanks for your kind words, this is not really my thing but could not pass it up.

MP

Last edited by a moderator:
NIB Thomas Trigger

I know a shooter who has one on a 37 he "use's"
He,know a shooter who has one NIB < :)

Thomas triggers

Mr. Petrov,

I don't have much knowledge about Thomas triggers, except that they were evaluated at one time by Winchester as they searched for a better 52 trigger design (Houze, 1999). I do have some old Freeland catalogs from the 40s and 50s in which Thomas triggers were available. Send an e-mail (geoice@gwu.edu) and I'll dig into these and see what I can find.

George Stephens

Thanks I'll check with Gary and see if he still has it.

Anyone know what year my 37 was made with a serial number 03946?

A little info on the barrel maker.

h1.jpg

BC vs Hubalek

It would be interesting to try one of the Hubalek barrels that were 1/8" at 25 yards against one of BC "best" barrels.

Just a thot.

Not sure who "BC" is (I live in the past so please don't take it personal ;-))

The Hubalek barrel is marked "Special" and is in perfect shape so as I have time I will see how it shoots. Living on the last frontier has a few drawbacks, like no Eley Tenex, however I do have a good supply of the Remington-Eley black box that shoots well in my other rifle.

Bc

Bill Calfee.

Builds .22 rifles. He has many posts on the boards.

OK, that went right over my head, I was thinking of what barrel maker was “BC”. I’ve read all of Mr. Calfee’s writings in PS. Last year I used a lot of what I learned from him when we rebarreled a Stevens 44 ½ with an extra barrel for LR as the rifle was made for the Short cartridge and of limited use these days. The reamer we used was also designed by him and the rifle shoots very well.

For those with an interest I took the Hubalek-37 to the rage early this AM, only time the wind is not too bad. Used a 20X Unertl on the barrel and tried several brands of ammo that are not worth reporting. Spent time working with the trigger and getting the feel of a new rifle, with time should be able to do better.

Fired 13, 5-shot groups (hey it’s Friday the 13th) at 50 yards using Remington-Eley EPS
Smallest .148”
Largest .434”
Average for the 13 .280”

Hey Michael,
That is a great 37 you found. Why don't you think about coming out to Birchwood and shooting some benchrest targets with the rest of us. We'll be there this weekend.
Jim

Thomas Trigger

Michael,

A very little on the Thomas trigger.

AR August 1938, In a dopebag article, "Special Triggers" The Thomas trigger is mentioned in about 3 paragraphs, but nothing on adjustment.

Also, in the June, 1941 issue of AR, page 51 he has an ad. At that time it cost $15.00. Not cheap in 1941.

I do not have a Thomas for a 37, but do have one for a 52B. Unfortunately the triggers are made quite differently. Where yours appears of laminated design, later triggers for the 52 are a solid block. However possibly one common link is that the adjustments are numbered and possibly the numbering system is common to the particular adjustments. I will dig mine out and get back to you.

One thing to remember is that though these are fine triggers they were designed for 3lb use with little variation.

Its hard to correctly "date" a target rifle because other than factory, few were assembled complete at the same time. They seemed to be done in stages over a period of time either as money allowed or "up grade" was felt necessary.

bjm

Brian,

Thanks for the information; I have a complete set of American Rifleman so it was easy to look up. I see that the August, 1938 issue has a Model-37 article as well and the July 1938 has some Thomas trigger info also.

The majority of Hubalek barrels were serial numbered with a few not, sadly this one is not numbered so no way of knowing what was done to the rifle. Little evidence that the rifle had been shot much at all.

Another member email me this “The adjustment screws on the trigger, stamped 1, 2, and 3 are shown in the catalog as: 1 = trigger-tension adjustment, 2 = back-slap adjustment, 3 = sear adjustment.”

Hopefully a set of instructions will turn up.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Thomas Trigger

Michael,

Yes, that is how my trigger numbers are set up as well. That should help that situation

bjm

Michael

I picked up a Remington 37 at an auction a few months ago, and with the rifle were a set of instructions for a Thomas trigger. If you would email me your address I will make photo copy and send it to you.

NCW

Guess I should have included my email address

NCW@qcol.net

Back