remington brass

S

scottms7171

I noticed today when i was trimming and turning the necks on the new 338 ultra mag brass that the flash hole on about tweenty of them out of 100 where not in the center.Whats up with that?Will remington take them and replace them or what?That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought 100 win brass in .264 win mag and had the same problem, flash holes were off center and many were pear shaped. I took them back to the store and the kid said it wouldn't make any diffrence. AHHHHHHHH.

I havent been much of a fan of Remington brass, always used Win and Lapua. When I went to get some new brass for my .375H&H the only thing available was Remington and I was suprised at how concentric the necks were and at the overall dimensional quality and uniformity. It will be a long time before it gets used up, but I am happy with it.

Remington Brass

Tried Nosler Brass in my .300 Ultra Mag. Primer pockets went oversize after 2nd loading. Called Nosler. They admitted to having problems with their Brass and would call me back. That was 3 months ago. Still waiting for the call.
Went to Remington Brass. No problems after 3 reloads. Cor-Bon uses Remington Brass in their Ammo.

brass

It seems to me like the problem is probably the lot of brass not the kind. When I worked for rem. the toolsetters were always movin around on different jobs in the case area. Ya take one guy might do the best job he could the next might not care,just puttin in his time till its time to clock out. Theyve all got about the same specs. Doug

It seems to me like the problem is probably the lot of brass not the kind. When I worked for rem. the toolsetters were always movin around on different jobs in the case area. Ya take one guy might do the best job he could the next might not care,just puttin in his time till its time to clock out. Theyve all got about the same specs. Doug

I'd have to agree, I think most of the time it's kinda just the luck of the draw! I've bought new Rem. brass and the flash holes looked like they were punched with a chain saw, and I've had new Win. brass that had horrible variances in the case length! And I've had new brass from both that were really good!

brass

Paul, You sound like a ole case area toolsetter. Talkin about flash holes punched and trim length variation. You work in a case area?You can talk the talk. I worked for rem. 2 years and win. for 10, but we made military stuff. Theyed go right in a 308 and shoot the only difference was the 7.62 had thicker wall thickness than the 308. Doug

I noticed today when i was trimming and turning the necks on the new 338 ultra mag brass that the flash hole on about tweenty of them out of 100 where not in the center.Whats up with that?Will remington take them and replace them or what?That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

scottms7171
Prep the questionable cases along with the good cases and shoot a group, giving each batch an equal trial run, you will see for yourself if it matters if the "flashholes" are offcenter ! :rolleyes:

Paul, You sound like a ole case area toolsetter. Talkin about flash holes punched and trim length variation. You work in a case area?You can talk the talk. I worked for rem. 2 years and win. for 10, but we made military stuff. Theyed go right in a 308 and shoot the only difference was the 7.62 had thicker wall thickness than the 308. Doug

No sir, I've just been reloading rifle cartridges for years! I believe I got started in 83 or 84. So I've been through alot of brass! All of it was for hunting and recreational stuff though, I'm just getting into this bench rest thing. I've always tried to get good accuracy out of my 22-250's though! That's where the triming, and flash hole deburring mostly came from! I bought some Rem. brass several years ago in 22-250. And after lightly deburring the flasholes on 100 rounds the pile of shavings was probably enough to make a half dozen more cases!

Paul

brass

Paul, Well ya had me fooled sounded like an ole toolsetter. They punch those flash holes when they prime all on the same machine. They called em high speed priming machines. Their just a blur they run so fast. They do things different out there now. Im talkin bout the way they did it in the 80s. Doug

i bought 50 new rem 270 cases after refoming for a wildcat most necks began neck splitting tried annealing did'nt seem to help much just changed to winchester not having anymore trouble. i'm thru with rem brass

speedpro

yes i sorted them to see the differance. why is rem the only ones that make 338 ultra mag brass?that i can find

yes i sorted them to see the differance. why is rem the only ones that make 338 ultra mag brass?that i can find

Since the 338RAUM is a Remington design, their obligated to provide cartridges and reloading components for atleast 10 yrs. Rem's "classic" line of 700's probably helped to breath new life into older chamberings in some cases, the older chamberings although good chamberings that may have otherwise faded and therefore Rem is obligated by law to mfg. ammunition for those firearms for which they mfg, for at least 10yrs. The automakers have to supply parts for their models under this same law.

I got a few "grayhairs" in my head due to the same concern regarding offcenter flashholes, no worry they shoot as well as the centered ones, in my expeirence. I'm not a fan of Rem brass either,thankfully we have a choicein most instances.

i'm guessing that your probably not paper punching with this rifle. having several hyper velocity boomers of my own. if the brass is causing you grief you can't live with you can form your own off of the .404 jeffries it just may be to much trouble to fool with since your probably hunting with this gun and not in need of a large volume of brass.
on the other of the spectrum as speedpro mentioned proprietary components can also swing to issues like this i have a rifle chambered in lazzeroni's warbird with brass only available thru lazzeroni good stuff but you need to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy it..

Back