Remington Bolt

Boe

I had a 700 come in my shop for a rebarrel and true the action. The rifle was and is going to be a 300WSM. After taking the rifle apart I noticed that the bolt lugs looked a little short, Indeed they were as they measured .424. So I call Remington to ask when are they below specs.They told me they could not give me that information because of liability reasons,which I understand. Now, this gun came from the factory this way. With safety being the primary concern what is the cut off point where the bolt is no longer safe? I have had bolts that measured from .462 to .433 being the the shortest to date until this one. Anyone have any data on this subject? Anybody else have Mag bolts with lugs this short? Thanks Boe

Last edited:
Chill out pal, this is still plenty of lugs to be totally safe. The calculated shear strength on the Remington bolt lugs is somewhere around 35-38 000 pounds.

Rad

my two bolts measure 0.443" and 0.441".

the way i like to look at it is from a "factor of safety" standpoint.

in a m700, i am comfortable with a factor of safety of about 4/1, bolt lug strength to bolt thrust. as in standard magnum thrust.

the short fat cartridges don't provide for this. and if someone stuffs a fat fat in there, worse yet.

and if the bolt lugs are short, the factor of safety will be further reduced.

this is just my $.02, as i know others are quite comfortable shooting the short fats.

Back