Remington 700 MilSpec 5R .223 Question

E

ehkempf

I just purchased a Remington 700 MilSpec 5R .223 with a 24 in. barrel. I plan on using Serra 69gr HPBT match bullets. My question is on powder selection. I have available the following: H322, Benchmark, and H4895. Of those three powders which would be the best choice for this new rifle.

Thanks

Ed

what is a milspec 223 ??

From what I have read and been told the introduction of the 700 Mil Spec rifles came about mainly brcause Remington had barrels that did not meet the full requirements needed to meet the M24 and M40 standards. These barrels were turned down to Remington's Varmint contour and then coupled to a 700 action. The stock is a HS Precision with alum bedding block. These rifles were them sold as limited runs. The Mil-Spec refers solely to the 5-R rifling profile designed by Boots Obermeyer and used in the single broach-cut barrels he produces for use in the M24, M40, and other sniper rifle systems. The contour of the hammer-forged production Remington barrel is much thinner than that used in the M24 and M40 rifle systems. The 700 Mil Spec rifle have been sold in .223, .308 and I believe .300 Win Mag. The .223 has a 1 in 9 twist, compared to a normal 700 which has a 1-12 twist.

Seeing remington barrels make tomato stakes as long as I have for remington to scrap one it must be something to see! And I believe mike rock came up with the 5r 11.25 30cal profile- not sure where the .22 came in. I thought the only 22 they made was the m4 which they just lost to FN

I had a 700 SPS with a 1 in 9 twist. It didn't like anything. Tried a lot of powder bullet combinations nothing worked including 69 sierras. It was a 1.5 in. rifle at 100 yds. Traded for a Tikka with a 1 in 10. A lot better I get .5 in. groups with 40s,60s,69s. and VV133.

I did some testing with the 5R today at 100 yards. I loaded 15 rounds of once fired Winchester brass. As part of the test I wanted to see what difference the primer would make. I kept all things constant except the primer. I used a Sierra 69g Match HPBT with H 4895 powder. Using the Sierra bullet the seating depth to jam is 2.3090. I loaded 5 rounds each with the following load: seating depth of 2.3020 and 25.0 g H 4895. The first 5 were loaded using a Remington 7 ½ primer. No signs of pressure problems, primer not flattened at all, and the group measured 1.026. The second 5 were loaded with a CCI BR4 primer. Also no signs of pressure, but primer did flatten some, the group measured .526. The third 5 were loaded with Federal 205M primer. Also no signs of pressure, and the primer did not flatten as much as the CCI. This was a surprise as I have always been told that the Federal primer has a softer cup than the Remington and CCI. The group measured .651. This test was by no means conclusive, but it shows that the rifle has potential. My serious loading will be with Lapua brass and I will very the neck tension and seating depth. For now I think I will stay with the H 4895.

I just purchased a Remington 700 MilSpec 5R .223 with a 24 in. barrel. I plan on using Serra 69gr HPBT match bullets. My question is on powder selection. I have available the following: H322, Benchmark, and H4895. Of those three powders which would be the best choice for this new rifle.

Thanks

Ed

I use 23.9 grains benchmark and 69 gr Serra hpbt very accurate

ok..
i am the new guy....not even a br shooter.
saw this thread pop up....a new post after a year...
i go read the thread.....
can anyone tell me how an out of spec 308 bbl (m24/m40)can be reconfigured to a 223 bbl ?

From what I have read and been told the introduction of the 700 Mil Spec rifles came about mainly brcause Remington had barrels that did not meet the full requirements needed to meet the M24 and M40 standards. These barrels were turned down to Remington's Varmint contour and then coupled to a 700 action. The stock is a HS Precision with alum bedding block. These rifles were them sold as limited runs. The Mil-Spec refers solely to the 5-R rifling profile designed by Boots Obermeyer and used in the single broach-cut barrels he produces for use in the M24, M40, and other sniper rifle systems. The contour of the hammer-forged production Remington barrel is much thinner than that used in the M24 and M40 rifle systems. The 700 Mil Spec rifle have been sold in .223, .308 and I believe .300 Win Mag. The .223 has a 1 in 9 twist, compared to a normal 700 which has a 1-12 twist.

ok..
can anyone tell me how an out of spec 308 bbl (m24/m40)can be reconfigured to a 223 bbl ?

This is the internet unsubstantiated rumors don't have to be true to have legs. Remember when people were convinced that Microsoft was going to send them $100 if they forwarded this email to them.

ok..

I was reading my way through these posts thinking the same thing.

I have lots of benchmark. I bought it the week people said it was good. Now i use it for fireforming. But i bet it is good in a 222/223

I cannot tell you how many times I have had some one ask me what I was shooting. When I said benchmark they'd say "why are you shooting benchmark?" Like it was unheard of to them.

Back