Remington 700...long or short?

S

ssheets

I've got an older Remington 700BDL in 22-250. How can I tell if it is a long or short action?

Ssheets: If it is a factory stock Rifle/barrel then it is almost certainly a 700 short action.
I am heading for my gun safe to get a measurement for you.
On my short action Remington 700 I measured from the rear of the rear receiver ring to the front of the front receiver ring and came up with 5.500". This does not count the recoil lug.
Stuart Otteson in his book "The Bolt Action", gives a comparative length of the 700 short action and the 700 long action of 7.85" and 8.70" respectively. But he does not indicate from where and to where on the action these measurements are taken.
Again if your Rifle is an all factory stock 700 in caliber 22-250 Remington it is almost certainly a short action.
I just noticed in Stuart Ottesons book "The Bolt Action" he gives magazine lengths for the short and long actions of 2.85" and 3.70" respectively.
Hope this helps.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks, and you are right. I happened to run out to the range today and a guy next to me had a 700BDL long action. The diff is obvious and about an inch or so.

OK, I used up some old factory SP loads and after some tweaking on my scope I got a 5 shot group in the .700 range. This was off a table top holding the gun in my hand off my elbows. So with a little work I think it will be a nice shooter. I ordered a thumbhole stock and a bench rest today. I'll try working up some handloads and see how I can become a better shooter.:)

Back