Remington 40XB

B

breh

I recently retired and am getting back into benchrest shooting after many years of layoff. I have Remingon 40XB chambered in 22/250 which I purchased in 1983 and good supply of IMR 4350. If any of you have any suggestions for the best load to use for accuracy, your comments will be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate your advice on the best procedure and products to use for bore cleaning. I note that there are a lot of new and different bore cleaning products on the market now that were not there in the early 80s. Thanks for your attention to my request.

IMR 4350 isn't the very best powder for the 22/250, but it could work with the heavier bullets. Your twist rate is probably too slow to avail yourself of the newer heavy .224 bullets, so invest in something more suitable, like Varget or another medium burning rate powder.

Good luck and welcome back.

Rem 22-250

breh I,m going the same thing ? I retired two years ago and rifles have been part of my life for a long long time . Now I can devote more time (and money ) .

I built a range behind my home in 1986 and rebuilt the benches this last summer . I do have some state run rifle ranges close to my home but just to meny shooters .

Good luck and have fun KEYBEAR

May I suggest Montana Extreme cleaning products. Unless you're bothered by scents, it's potent.

If the smell bothers you try Butch's Bore Shine.

If THAT bothers you, drop down to the old favorite (after Hoppes #9) mix Shooters Choice 50/50 w/Kroil.

If you don't like THAT smell then I dunno what to tell you.

al

By all means use a bore guide, and don't over clean the barrel... meaning if it is still shooting accurately, why clean? As to the oder if it bothers you use a fan or clean the rifle outdoors. We all shouldn't be breathing that stuff anyways.

I recently retired and am getting back into benchrest shooting after many years of layoff. I have Remingon 40XB chambered in 22/250 which I purchased in 1983 and good supply of IMR 4350. If any of you have any suggestions for the best load to use for accuracy, your comments will be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate your advice on the best procedure and products to use for bore cleaning. I note that there are a lot of new and different bore cleaning products on the market now that were not there in the early 80s. Thanks for your attention to my request.

Welcome Breh,
An accuracy load that has been around for many years is 40 gr. of IMR 4350 and a 50 to 55 gr. bullet. You will have to find the bullet your rig likes best.

If you are starting out with new cases, it is likely you will not be able to get 40 gr. in the cases. 38, 39 or what ever you can fit in the case will work. If you neck size after the first firing, it will be easier to get the 40 gr. in. The use of a drop tube really helps.

4350 won't produce the speed of some other powders in the 22-250, but for the guys that shoot with me at targets and prairie dogs, it is our goto powder, as it is accurate and the barrels tend to last a little longer.

Jim

imr 4064 shoots good also with 50-55 gr bulletts, at least it does in the two I have.

Back