Rem 700 Sendero compared to Savage 12

T

toklat

I am looking for an very accrate long range 30 caliber hunting rifle. does anyone have an opinion on the accuracy of the Sendero as compared tot he Savage 12. I am leaning toward the Sendero because i like the 700 action.I have seen that Rem builds custon rifles to but cant afford them .
what abou tBarrel life on a 300 win mag. i hear it is not taht good.

Thanks,
Toklat

Toklat: I seldom shoot the 30 Magnums anymore - like never!
Unless I am sighting in some of my "lazy" friends Rifles for them. I did two 300 Winchester Magnums for friends and two 300 Weatherby Rifles for friends last fall alone!
I don't care for the recoil these 30 magnums produce!
I wanted a long range Sendero myself several years back. I am a Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer Hunter mostly - so I chose a Remington Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester for my needs.
I could not be happier with this Rifle!
Splendid accuracy, well balanced, retains P.O.I. day to day and year to year, impervious to the elements and looks wonderful to boot!
I have killed Antelope out to a Leica Laser ranged 506 yards with this Rifle and Mule Deer out to 450 yards!
I have taken many heads of game out past 400 yards with it.
I have killed one 6x6 Bull Elk with this Rifle since I bought it. Normally when Elk Hunting I use my 7mm Remington Magnum.
If you are interested in Deer and Antelope though I highly recommend a Remington Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester!
My Rifle wears a Leupold 8.5x25 variable scope and on the public lands I mostly Hunt on this set up really gives me an advantage over other Hunters!
Best of luck with whichever Rifle you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I had a 300 Mag Rem Sendero in the past.

It shot very tight. Mostly I shot the 110 V max bullets as I did not like the recoil and was mostly shooting on the 100 yard range. I traded it off for a Bull Barrel AR-15.

Now days I favor the short action rifles and do not like cases with more capacity than the 308. The 308 is a very wide usage round. 110 V max to 180 hunting rounds. Works good with the 115 Match bullets if you have a custom barrel.

I have several Rem 700 and have had several of the Savages. For the $ out of the box the Savages are hard to beat. If you spend the money the Rem will out shoot the Savage.

For the best deal keep a look out on the classified ads. If you pick up a good used Rem 700, XP100 or 40X it will likely have most of the expensive work done. A used Rem with a good trigger and a BR stock can be a lot of fun. And there are a lot of good used Rem barrels around.

Octopus

sendero

toklat- you don't say what you are going to hunt or where. i have several senderos.my bother and friends have maybe 20 total. adjust the trigger ; put a good leupold scope ; if you are getting a magnum put a vais on it. you won't be disappointed. my son inlaw shot a group at his first 1k match that you could cover easily with a sheet of notebook paper.

300rum

I had a sporter weight Rem 700 in 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. Had a special recoil pad and a Vias Muzzle break. That rifle shot very well and sounded like an atom bomb. It kicked hard ,yet I'm a husky Iron Worker. Didn't feel any recoil when I was standing up shooting at a Bear that I did put down and later made hamburger helper with it and brought it to my singles group at my church.

I have a Sendero 300 Win Mag topped with a 6.5x20x50 Leupold. A little heavy to carry but if you are a stand hunter or set a lot it is just the ticket. Mine really shoots well with a stiff dose of RL-25 and 165gr Nosler Accubonds. I primarily use it as my Colorado back up rifle to my identity sake. If you don't mind the weight, the Sendero is really hard to beat. Being a Remmy there are lots of add ons for enhancement.:D

Thanks for the input guys. by the way I live in Lander WY . Just moved hear 2 years ago from 27 years in Alaska. Living out here I have developed an interest in long range hunting,(Deer , elk and Antelope). THere are so many options out there for a long range hunting rifle. It is hard to find that right combonation of a affordable super accurate long range hunting rifle that wont burn the barrel out in 500 rounds and that isnt so heavy you cant pack it around in the hills.
The Sendero seemed like agood compromise rather than having a custom rifle built, although I havent researched good custom rifle builders to see if i can get a rifle built for a $1000 buck or so.
I have been bouncing back and fourth between the 300 win mag and the 300 RUM. THe Rum seems like it has a little more top end over the 300 win mag if you wanted to loaded your own. Ulimatly I want to have a combonation that I can shoot and put down an antelope,deer or an elk at 1000 yards.

does anyone know what the magic FPS number is where you start causing excellerated throat erosion in your barrel. I heard it was around the 3100 fps mark.
Thanks
Toklat

Last edited by a moderator:
Sendero

i have two 300 wins. my brother has two 300 rum. the rum is way loud and kicks more. they both will kill at 1000 yards . if you don't reload i would lean to the 300 win. i like it better. the stainless fluted models are not that heavy.

Savage 112

You may consider a Savage long action and screw on your own 7mag tube. A Berger vld such as 180gr will make a very good long range killing machine. I am putting one together for myself. I plan on sacrificing low weight for a heavier tube on mine.

Best wishes

Farmboy

www.longrangehunting.com will give you lots of info about this type of hunting.

I have put some articles on the home page that will give you some options on choosing a rifle.

Enjoy...

Jerry

I am looking for an very accrate long range 30 caliber hunting rifle. does anyone have an opinion on the accuracy of the Sendero as compared tot he Savage 12. I am leaning toward the Sendero because i like the 700 action.I have seen that Rem builds custon rifles to but cant afford them .

Thanks,
Toklat

Thought I'd never say this...but, here it goes. I'd put money on the savage for group size against any of the new senderos.

I'm rebarreling one right now that belongs to a friend of mine in Texas. It's a Sendero II in 300 mag.

With real good ammo, it shoots a 1" group. Another friend had one at the ranch in south texas a few weekends ago, and it shot as bad or worse (factory winchester supreme silvertips in his)

I have an older sendero, blued, in 7mm stw. Holes will touch at 100 yards with several loads I have. it is in a laminated stock, with a sporter forend and black tip. My favorite factory rifle.

So, my experience is that the fluted stainless senderos do not shoot as well as the older blued ones.

On savages. Another friend has a 12 heavy 308. The plastic stock is a piece of crap, but the rifle will rip a single ragged hole at 100 yards 20 rounds consecutive with 168 smk's and 44 gr varget.

At the ranch, Ricky put a model 12 heavy in 25-06 on the bench, it has a stainless barrel. He showed up everyone, even a 22-250 rangemaster that shoots 1/4" groups. I mean, I was impressed as hell for a factory gun. Stock is still crap though.

Go with the heavy savage and get the one with a laminated stock, or get an older sendero with a steel barrel.

my 2 cents.

Ben

I have the old model Sendero in .300WM. Found it in a pawnshop for $600, IIRC. 210 Berger VLDs at 2900 fps (Retumbo) work well. You're not likely to burn a barrel quickly with that bullet in a non-braked rifle. I've shot the rifle to beyond 1300 yds. on steel targets and rocks, but I'd not hunt with it at that distance. 525 yds. is the farthest opportunity so far on big game, and that elk dropped in her tracks. I'm confident with the rifle to at least 800 yds., in good-fair conditions, and the rifle will shoot better than MOA at that distance. I have no experience with the Savage. I would buy the first one of the two you find used for a good price. If you shoot long range much, you'll soon want something better or different. But you'll have no luck trying to guess, now, what that will be. So, do what I did -- buy the first one that finds you, and learn with it. If you burn out a barrel, it should mean you've learned much about long range shooting/hunting.

Savage VS Remington

Toklat:
In my experience I would go with the Savage. I have both a Sendero in .270 and a model 12 BVSS Savage. The Remington took a lot of hand loading development to get it to shoot but shoot it did with 1/2" groups @ 100 using IMR 4350 and Sierra 130's. One thing that was evident was that Remington reams the throat very deep, and in order to seat the bullet .005 off of the lands it's almost at the edge of the throat of the brass. On the plus side the Rem trigger can be adjusted down to 1.5 pounds with very little over travel. I have since had a heavy Hart barrel installed and it shoots very well with the best 3 shot group @ .406 @ 200 meters with careful hand loads.The Savage started it's life as a 22.250 and shot like a house on fire and was the most accurate over the counter rifle that I have ever owned. It has an accu-trigger that goes down to 1.5 lbs but with the 22.250 barrel life was short. It now has a ebco 6MM BR barrel that will print into a 3 shot group of .229 @ 100. If Remington did not ream the chamber so deep I would lean toward that as I do like the action and trigger set up, but for out of the box accuracy the Savage takes it hands down.

Crosshair

Go ahead with the 300

Go ahead with the 300 win, 270 win is fine out to 400 yds elk, 500 yds on deer. 600 yds antelope. 300 win adds a couple hundred yds across board.

When you shoot out barrel. And yes if you plan on hunting out to 1k, you will rebarrel yearly, as you need to shoot at least 100 rds a month at these ranges, to be able to cleanly kill at these ranges.
Go to the 30-338. It's close to 300 win, will fit in standard action but allows you to use longer bullets than the 300 win.

I would forget the 300 RUM, if you want that kind of horsepower go to either the 30-378 or all the way to one of the 338 supermags.

Check out the 1k Forums and see what it's all about, go to an 1k shoot and check it out.. You will be amazed on what's available.

As far as the REM or Savage, six of one, half dozen other.

RC

Thanks,
Toklat

If you're willing to do the bedding pick the Savage and save a buck. All the "factory" Rems in the HS Precision stock have shot well for me, right off the shelf - but the Savage guns seem to shoot well with proper (tang floated) bedding while the remington probably won't require bedding.

The Savage with the Accu-trigger gets the nod, unless you care to get into the fine points of adjusting a Remington trigger.

Basically, take your pick. You'll probably have to work on both of them.

Personally I like the old "black" Remingtons with a trigger job, lapped lugs and rings and skim bedding on the bedding block. I have a 25-06 that doesn't group as well as it shoots. It'll drive you nuts getting .5 to .75 groups, but it hits prairie dogs by accident at unreal ranges. When we shoot out all the close dogs, you can really put the little guns to shame (and get a pretty good headache to go with the sore shoulder) taking the long shots.

I don't know about barrel life on the rounds you mentioned. I have over 2000 rounds through this rifle that was purchased used from a pawn shop. No, I can't touch the lands but it's still functional as a varmint gun.

BTW, unless you're building a specialty wildcat or fast twist sub caliber, I do believe the 25-06 is about as good as it gets for long range factory fare on varmints through your antelope. For me, at the ranges I'm capable of shooting, it's even adequate for mule deer and elk.

Remington Vs Savage

I build customers custom rifles on both actions. My question are you going to shoot a factory rifle or build a custom rifle on a factory action.

Both of these actions will make a fine custom hunting rifle.

The cost of customizing either is tit for tat.

Both have their pluses ands minuses.

I have been a Remington man all of my life, but the last three rifles I bought were Savages. All my hunting rifles will shoot sub .5 out to 300 yards.

Rustystud

Back