rem 700 question

skeetlee

what do you think about me just haveing the action trued on a 700 vs, and just keeping the factory barrel on the gun? is that just a waste of time and money, or would it help groups out a little? the reason i ask is that i have a friend who has done the same thing and he claims the rifle is a real tack driver. what do you guys know about this? thanks lee

It sounds like your friend got the "Walmart action truing service". Some of the so-called action truers do not do the complete job. SOunds as of your friend just had the action face skim cut and maybe the lugs lapped. Not near enough done!

Besides, if you have the action trued correctly, the threads on the barrel, after the receiver threads have been re-cut, will be a sloppy fit to the receiver and the headspace may be off when the work has been done.

The key word here is "done correctly".

Done right the factory barrel will need to be set back the length of the threads, as the action will be cut larger and the barrel will not fit anymore. If he didn't have the barrel set back, he didn't get the whole job done. Why bother putting the factory barrel back on anyway, unless using for a fireforming barrel so you don't waste that new custom barrel on forming 1000 prairie dog cases. ( used the factory barrel, set back, so I could do this)

Mike

he kept the factory barrels but had them made into a switch barrel. he also had a rem 243 varmint barrel. does that make any sence? i am new to rifles. learning as i go! so now he has a rem 700 trued 22-250 and a 243 factory switch barrel gun that he claims will shoot .25 . thats why i asked if just trueing the action and keeping the factory barrel was any kind of an idea. thanks lee

A good action job will improve the acuracy without a doubt. The action job should include lapping the lugs, re-cutting the threads on the barrel and truing the action to the barrel. Some would like to have the bolt face squared up. That would be your choice, some reputable smiths don't think it's nessasary and some do. If you are going to have the action done it would also be worth the couple extra bucks to have the barrel re-crowned and also if your not comfortable with adjusting the trigger have the smith do a trigger job. Shoot it for several hundred rounds and when you see acuracy go away all you need to do is buy a good barrel, Hart, Krieger, Lilja, and the list goes on and you'll have yourself a mighty fine shooting gun. It will depend on what caliber the gun is as to how many rounds you'll get. How hot you load your ammo will also play a major factor in barrel life. From the sounds of things until you do a lot more reading and have a good understanding of the rifle I wouldn't mess with the trigger yourself. Your gonna get the fever:D

Back