rem 700 LA Rebarrel Options

M

missloumudcat

Hi guys (& gals). I have a Remmie 700 long action that WAS a 7mag, then rebarreled and reworked to a 300WM. I am not interested in the 300WM anymore and was wondering what caliber options I can rebarrel this long action to. I have a 30-06, 300WM, 7mag. Will a 7mm RUM work? Any of the short mags?

As usual, thanks for all of the avice adn help you provide.

Jim

All of the short mags will work in a long action. A lot of the folks building 7WSMs are doing so on Long Actions, because of the ability to feed from the internal or external magazine and seat the heavy high BC bullets like the 180 Berger or 175 smk way out to maximize available case capacity.

JeffVN

You can convert a 700 LA belted magnum action to one of the Ultra mags. You need to widen the receiver a bit at the lips of the magazine well and (depending on which cartridge) replace the magzine box and follower. None of that's requiered for a single shot. I've converted a couple of Rem 700 7mm Rem Mags to 300 Ultra repeaters with little difficulty.

It seem to me though that you should first decide what you want to use if for and what ballistic perfomance you want to achieve. You could convert it to anything from 223 WSSM to 50 Ultra (wildcat) without reworking the boltface. Sighters list pretty well covers the standard cartridges. There are lots of wildcats too.

My favorite long range (mile+) target rifle is a 700 action with a 29" Hart barrel in 7mm STW. I considered 7mm Ultra but couldn't come up with good loads for 180 gn Berger bullets and didn't like the prospects for barrel life.

rem 700 la rebarrel

Try a 257 or 270 wm, they are both excellent long range cartridges and will work as well as bigger bore cartridges. craig

Back