Reloading question.

AZ_Win52

I have a Savage 12 LRPV in .223 Rem. I'm currently using R-P and Winchester brass. I'd like to seat the bullets out to about .020" off the lands. Bullets 52gr and heavier seat fine however 50 gr and lighter I have a problem The base (flat base) barely seats 1/2 way down the neck. Since I neck size I can adjust neck tension. Is this sufficient depth?

Probably. Try some 69gr SMK's with about 25gr. Varget (after you safely work up to it).

If you're loading single fire, you won't have a problem. If you're riding around with them in a magazine, I don't know.

Single shot. I'll load up some 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenades and see how they do at the recommended OAL then at the .020 off the lands length. I understand that with a magazine you have other considerations...will it fit in the mag...is recoil changing the seating depth etc.

got the same gun, mine likes a little jump, shoots 52-53 gr Sierria's,Berger's Uber's or Fowler's with vitv N133 or H335.....must have tryed 20 different powder/bullets combo's and never got 64,69,74,75,77,80 gr bullets to shoot worth a hoot

Thanks Dave! I haveH335 as well and plan on trying it out today as well. The only bullet lighter than 52gr that will seat out is Barnes Varmint Grenade. I was hoping to use H335 but I can't find any load data. I'll try RE-7 and see how that does.

IMO, H335 is *the* powder to use for a .223. Load data should be in any load book. I hope you're not trying to reload with just info you're picking up in cyberspace. I've tried AA2230, Varget and a couple of others plus some stick powders but they just wouldn't work for me as well as H335. Your mileage may vary of course.
You understand, of course, that .020 is just a number. It isn't writ in stone and if you can't comfortably come up with it, don't angst about it too much. If you're loading single fire, the magazine doesn't come into consideration. I shot out the barrel on a 22-250 and never had a round in the magazine.

Beeman, I have loads of H335 and it would be the powder of choice however I can't find any load data for the 36gr Varmint Grenade . I do have a source that lists using RE-7 so it gets the nod. If anyone knows of a published load using H-335 please let me know :)

Back