Recommendaton for a few reloading items needed..

H

Hank

I would appreciate some recommendation for the following:

1. Primer seater.
2. Electronic scales.
3. Powder trickler (or scale and trickler combo).
4. Concentricity gauge.

I will be shooting from the bench for fun only but would like the smallest groups I can get from my equipment.
Please feel free to recommend more than one brand or model in any category. I'm looking for good, solid, long lasting tools; not the cheapest and not necessary the most expensive. But, if spending more money now, will save replacing a lesser quality item in a year or so, I'd certainly consider doing that.

1. Primer seater. K&M
2. Electronic scales. see next
3. Powder trickler (or scale and trickler combo). RCBS Chargemaster
4. Concentricity gauge. Never owned or saw the need for one

I will be shooting from the bench for fun only but would like the smallest groups I can get from my equipment.
Please feel free to recommend more than one brand or model in any category. I'm looking for good, solid, long lasting tools; not the cheapest and not necessary the most expensive. But, if spending more money now, will save replacing a lesser quality item in a year or so, I'd certainly consider doing that.

See above.

Rick

1. Primer seater. RCBS Hand Priming Tool : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/329291/rcbs-hand-priming-tool

2. Electronic scales.
3. Powder trickler (or scale and trickler combo). On Sale plus Rebate. RCBS CHARGEMASTER COMBO : http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...uys&utm_medium=recs&utm_campaign=website_recs

4. Concentricity gauge. Sinclair: http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...es/sinclair-concentricity-gage-prod37479.aspx

See notations after numbered tool.

1. Primer seater. RCBS Hand Priming Tool

Given how critical ignition is to benchrest, I believe the RCBS primer seating tool is far inferior to the K&M. It is too easy to apply excessive pressure to the primer during seating. The K&M and others like the Sinclair allow the pressure applied by the tool to be adjusted to avoid crushing the primer during seating.

Fergus,

The two biggest issues that I have with a priming tool that seats only one primer at a time is the length of time it takes to seat 50 to 100 primers and the fact that there is always the opportunity of primer contamination from having to handle each and every primer with one's hand.

And, if one has a large palm and fingers the always present probability of fiddling, juggling, and dropping of primers. No thanks! I've tried them all ... including the Forster Co-Ax Primer Seater: http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=700679 . To each his own. :)

Thanks for making the recommendations, folks. I have ordered the RCBS Chargemaster combo and the RCBS priming tool. I don't doubt the single primer is more accurate but considering my equipment and, as "abintx" noted, the extra time and care that must be taken to load one primer at a time, I opted for the easier way. I primed for years on an old Lee hand primer and if you paid close attention to the feel, you could do an OK job. I hope the RCBS is several steps above the old Lee. After reading your comments and doing some more thinking, I may put off the concentricity gauge. If I get the LE Wilson dies, I probably would not need it. I sincerely appreciate the time you took to make these recommendations.
Hank

So which one?

Fergus,

The two biggest issues that I have with a priming tool that seats only one primer at a time is the length of time it takes to seat 50 to 100 primers and the fact that there is always the opportunity of primer contamination from having to handle each and every primer with one's hand.

And, if one has a large palm and fingers the always present probability of fiddling, juggling, and dropping of primers. No thanks! I've tried them all ... including the Forster Co-Ax Primer Seater: http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=700679 . To each his own. :)

From the answer above i'm not sure where you landed. So, having tried them all which did you settle on

The two biggest issues that I have with a priming tool that seats only one primer at a time {snip}.... To each his own. :)

Loading a single primer at a time doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as crushing a primer during seating does. And since it is impossible to "contaminate" a primer from simply handling it, that is a nonissue. But I agree with your concluding remark.

I have used most kinds of primer tools. They all seated primers, and I wouldn't want to put money on one being better for accuracy than another. That being said, I currently use the stainless, one at a time, 21st Century Shooting tool, and think that it is the best of its type. If you want fast and easy, the RCBS bench mounted or hand tools, that take primers in strips, are probably the quickest, if you like CCI primers( BR 4s worked fine when I have used them.), and buy them already in the strips. Personally, the one at a time drill doesn't bother me, but on the other hand, I am not doing a lot of volume reloading.

Back