Recomendation for Crown Tool

a.JR

Hi All , Because i run a Tension barrel set up it is a major operation to remove the barrel just to crown it .. Is there a reliable tool to trim the crown at say 250 rounds than the present 450-500 i currently employ .. Company in the US and 30 cal part no would be handy ..Thanks in advance..JR..Jeff Rogers

Jeff, there was a long discussion about this on the gunsmith's forum.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?75671-Barrel-Crown/page3&highlight=crown

Dennis Sorensen advocated a piloted chamfer reamer to finish a crown. Will work to "referesh" one, too. Of course, this being BR Central, there was much discussion. But Joe Salt noted he'd been using one to refresh crowns for quit a while, with good results, and Greg Walley, the gunsmith at Kelbly's added:

We believe through experience and years of testing that a flat 90° crown cut with a sharp HSS tool or a sharp carbide insert of the correct grade will give optimum accuracy.

However, I will say that Dennis Sorrensen sent me a sample of his chamfered cut crown and I inspected it with a SEM several years ago. His method produced a very even and burr free cut.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.
\

Good enough for me.

Jeff, Hugh doesn't have "part numbers." I'm not sure PT&G does either. But if after reading the posts you decide this is what you want -- and if such tooling isn't available in Australia -- let me know & I'll arrange it.

A word of caution. Hugh Henriksen is great, but can be slow. I've waited 7-8 months for a reamer. I'm told others have waited longer. He does a fair bit of work for commercial firms like Kelbly's & Warner Tool. When you do something like he does, it works best if you can do it in batches, so there can be a wait time.

In short, for a tool like this, if Hugh doesn't already have one on the shelf, if might be better to go with someone else.

BTW, whatever happened to Tony Z?

A Jr Sir

I am sure the previous methods work well and to add an option,you might try making about 3 non piloted laps and using a non embedding very fine compund ,hart and sons stocks the really good lapping compund with a crown ball lapping kit as well .works great with a cordless drill and by going both directions that crown is sharp as a razor blade all the way to the inside corners of the lands .One of my mentors had told me I had better do this on every barrel that goes out of his shop or I am in trouble .I have also had to do this on my recessed crowns for field testing with the rifle together,if I cut too much weight off I would redrill and crown right there at the bench ,sounds goofy I know but it sure saved me a heck of a lot trips back to the lathe.Just another way to skin a cat.hope this helps. Tim in Tx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back