Rebuild Old Southbend 13" Vs. Buying New Import Lathe

cl5man

I started building custom guns about 10 yrs ago and started out with a 1945 model SouthBend 13". Its all original except for the paint. I've decided its time to take the plunge and upgrade. Upgrade may not be the correct term, maybe i should say i'm ready to have a lathe that isn't as worn. The only thing I don't like about the old Southbend as far as options is the spindle bore and odd ball spindle thread. I do all barrel work between centers and a steadyrest because of this. The ways, or apron, have a deep spot in front of the chuck as do the tail stock ways. Wear in the tailstock shaft is also an area needing attention. I got a quote from Texas Machine Tool International which came in at $13K. This didn't include parts or shipping. This also didn't include upgrading the small through-hole spindle to a newer D1-4. I'm guessing an additional minimum of $3k for shipping and spindle upgrade. I told myself before checking into rebuilding if it was less than $10k id do it. Coming up with the extra $6k or more isn't go fly. I hate to admit it but i've seriously been thinking about the Grizzly O509G. I've ran a Jet 16x40 ZX and on many occasions for my real job and must admit that its a pretty smooth, very heavy and seemingly accurate lathe. Granted its a step up from the Grizzly in mass, but its still coming from the same plant. I think my old SouthBend has an overall "smoother" feel than that big Jet. Machinery dealers are far and few between here in southern AZ and I'm not sure I want another used lathe anyway. I've found several newer Nardini's on Ebay in the $6k-$10K range but again, i've got a used lathe now, I really don't want another. Does anybody have the Grizzly 0509G that can give me some insite? If you had a budget of $10k what would you do with it?

Or do what i do, and remove 3 of the lugs on the D1-6 chucks. Butch is probably reffuring to the weight of the chucks though, and yes they are heavy!!! Lee

Can't say that I have run a Nardini, but IMHO they are in a different class from a Grizzly or your old Southbend. The 1440 has a D1-5 spindle with 1 5/8+ bore, big enough to chuck up just about any barrel or action you might want to work on. I believe there is a gunsmith or two on this forum who use them.

G0509G 16" x 40" 3-Phase Gunsmith's Metal Lathe

Butch,

Grizzly web page shows a D1-6 camlock spindle with a 2" bore. I know Sam Duke uses this lathe and loves it. I have seen it run and really wish it was in my shop instead of Sam's:)

*************** snip*************

•Spindle nose: D1-6 camlock

•Spindle bore: 2"

Kris Whitman

The $13K quote kinda surprises me for the re-build. Didn't think it would be that much, but I've never had a machine re-built.

Jerry Sharrett was in the machine tool industry, I believe. I'd like to hear his opinion on that quote.

Justin

There is available an older 13X40 chicom machine with a 3 jaw chuck for occasional use. Don't do anything with collets.

Joe

What are you doing that uses collets?

99% of what is done around here is "one off" pieces. Not doing any kind of repetitive production work.

joe

Joe,
My work sure isn't production. I can machine lot smaller parts in the collets and it is much quicker than indicating a 4 jaw. I do have a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and a 6 jaw tru adjust when I need them. Some chucks will not hold small parts as they do not close to 0. I use 2 catheads when I chamber a barrel.

I picked up a Pratt Burnerd Collet chuck and a set of Pratt collets. I use it whenever the work will permit it holds the work true, securely and is repeatable. Im a big fan of the collet setup

Grizzly is coming out with a reproduction heavy ten sometime next year 2014. Shiraz says it will most certainly be a dandy! I hope they dont cost to much, as i would really like to have to lathes in my shop. I hate changing out chucks all the time, and i would really enjoy having one machine for nothing but barrel work. I do like my big grizzly 0509G but it is a big machine!! Lee

The original poster said "I'm not sure I want another used lathe anyway. I've found several newer Nardini's on Ebay in the $6k-$10K range but again, i've got a used lathe now, I really don't want another."

Don't think he will find a new heavy 10 will he. Last time I saw one for sale around here was 4 or 5 years ago. It looked more tired than the machine he has now.

Joe

The original poster said "I'm not sure I want another used lathe anyway. I've found several newer Nardini's on Ebay in the $6k-$10K range but again, i've got a used lathe now, I really don't want another."

Don't think he will find a new heavy 10 will he. Last time I saw one for sale around here was 4 or 5 years ago. It looked more tired than the machine he has now.

Joe

There were a few hundred thousand made. There are still a lot of good ones for sale if you just look. I can name 4-5 shooter/posters here that have gotten great Heavy 10's in the last year or so. Matter of fact one of the well known 600 yard shooters bought 2!!

Back