Rebarrel model 52C

rodcarr

Hello,
I am new to the Form and rimfire Benchrest shooting. I have not shot a match yet but have been shooting ARA practice and have some targets in the 2000 range. But most are in the 1700 - 1975 range. I have been learning about the Ammo part
of the game and have been trying different batches and speeds. Most of Ammo has been ELEY MATCH and CENTER - X. I know a lot of it could be the shooter. Something tells me a rifle of this age might shoot a little better with a more modern barrel. The bore looks ok to the naked eye, have not looked at it with a bore scope. The rifle in mounted in a fiberglass stock and has a barrel tuner and the trigger pull is about 1oz as near as I can tell with my RCBS Premium trigger pull scale.

What I am looking for is some idea of who the members think would be the best Gunsmith to contact about re barreling my 52C. I am retired and on a fixed income so a nice $3000.00 - $4000.00 new rifle is not in the picture.
I am open to all ideas on this that do not cost more than getting a new barrel installed. Less costly ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Well, before you spend any more $ i would certainly make very sure this has really gotten clean and you have a good cleaning process in place, especially since you've been going back and forth with different ammo.
For instance, since you said you're new, are you aware you cannot shoot Lapua over ELEY without really cleaning?

Lastly, while you probably don't want to hear this, before dropping money on a custom blank and having somebody fit it, you're going to be very close and better off to sell the 52 and buy a decent used BR gun....they're out there wthout breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Well, before you spend any more $ i would certainly make very sure this has really gotten clean and you have a good cleaning process in place, especially since you've been going back and forth with different ammo.
For instance, since you said you're new, are you aware you cannot shoot Lapua over ELEY without really cleaning?

Lastly, while you probably don't want to hear this, before dropping money on a custom blank and having somebody fit it, you're going to be very close and better off to sell the 52 and buy a decent used BR gun....they're out there wthout breaking the bank.

Tim, I was not aware of the Lapua - Eley issue but I have been cleaning every time I change to a different batch of ammo even if it is the same brand. I clean after every 50rds even if not changing batch number. As for cleaning process I try to
follow the process that I found printed by Dan Killough.

I have been looking at listings for used BR guns and have not seen any for less than $1500.00 most in the $2000.00 - $2500.00 range that appear to be decent. At this time in my life it is easy to break my bank. I my be wrong in my thinking but I thought a new barrel would be less then these prices.

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Rod

You could sell the 52 and and add what you will spend and buy one of the new builds in the classifieds. Or I would think it would cost you at least 7 or 8 hundred to have a new barrel put on. Or go to some shoots and trade up.

Rod
Some good advise above. Most importantly would be to attend some matches before you do anything. Talk to the folks. They're willing to share info if asked.
Are you shooting from a decent rest? Are you using wind flags? If not you're probably chasing your tail. Been there, done that.
You may find that you don't need to change barrels or rifles. Just some other equipment to improve your scores.
Ask yourself what you expect out of this. Winning consistently costs money. There's no getting around that. Enjoying yourself costs much less.
Keith

Hand Feed

Have you tried hand feeding the ammo instead of feed from the magazine? One of the biggest problem is the chamber on the 52C. Others are correct about trying to sell and apply that to a new build.

52 target

I would use what you have..... for now...learn how to clean gun so it`s clean....( inspect with a borescope)....Test whatever good ammo you can afford.Find out exactly what the gun shoots the best.Buy a good set of wind flags.....they will answer a lot of questions...about you as a shooter and what`s the best ammo for that gun..........
Until the day comes,when you can honestly say..this gun is holding me back.....
Then..and only then would I lap the barrel to get a decent choke in bore.....retest.... as above.....
If none of this pleases you....
Then sell gun and move up to a custom...which when cleaned rite and fed it`s preference ammo shoots better than you...
OMHO
bill larson

As to value for trade

if it has a 1 oz trigger, it has an aftermarket of some type that may increase the value of what you have by a bunch. If you can get to a match, find the best shooter there, and have him shoot your gun. He can tell you how good it is without you having to burn a bunch of high dollar ammo trying to figure out what the weak link is.

Been there and still doing it

Rod,
I am an occasional BR shooter. I use mainly 52D Winchesters. I mainly shoot indoors during the Winter months, due to work load during the Summer months, I just shoot local matches. If you are planning on jumping in with the ARA / IR shooters, your rifle is going to be the cheap part. I have been trying this for a couple of years using my 52Ds and bi-pods. I have not been all that successful. I am not a great shooter by no means, but I think I have gotten about everything out of my 52s they have to offer, they still come up short most of the time. When I have great ammo ( the expensive part of BR shooting) and the conditions are right, I can do well. 2300-2350 ARA or 250-16 to 20Xs IR. While thats good, it not really going to win anything that often. I just resigned myself to enjoying what I do and enjoying the people I do it with. If you really have the desire to be up front most of the time, better invest in a full custom rifle and a few thousand more in equipment and ammo. Otherwise go and have fun trying like I do.

Good Luck
George

Tim, I was not aware of the Lapua - Eley issue but I have been cleaning every time I change to a different batch of ammo even if it is the same brand. I clean after every 50rds even if not changing batch number. As for cleaning process I try to
follow the process that I found printed by Dan Killough.

I have been looking at listings for used BR guns and have not seen any for less than $1500.00 most in the $2000.00 - $2500.00 range that appear to be decent. At this time in my life it is easy to break my bank. I my be wrong in my thinking but I thought a new barrel would be less then these prices.

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Rod

Again, if you sell the current platform in addition to the minimum $500-$600 you are about to invest in a barrel and fitting......you're pretty much there with a better over all platform.

Rod
Some good advise above. Most importantly would be to attend some matches before you do anything. Talk to the folks. They're willing to share info if asked.
Are you shooting from a decent rest? Are you using wind flags? If not you're probably chasing your tail. Been there, done that.
You may find that you don't need to change barrels or rifles. Just some other equipment to improve your scores.
Ask yourself what you expect out of this. Winning consistently costs money. There's no getting around that. Enjoying yourself costs much less.
Keith
Keith, You hit the nail on the head, I want to enjoy myself. I do not need to win to have a good time like to be competitive but don't have to win to be happy.
I have a PAPPAS rest and have been using wind flags that my friend has. I am going to try and include a couple pics of the 52 and rest. I think my weak link maybe
the lack of a top grade scope for my old eyesight.

I thank you and everybody else for your great input.

Rod

PS: I can't upload pics because they are IMG

You could sell the 52 and and add what you will spend and buy one of the new builds in the classifieds. Or I would think it would cost you at least 7 or 8 hundred to have a new barrel put on. Or go to some shoots and trade up.

What is the going rate for having a gunsmith re-barrel a rifle. A barrel is going to cost $300-$350 or so. Does that mean smiths a getting $350-$450 to fit a new barrel? I've been working too cheap!

What is the going rate for having a gunsmith re-barrel a rifle. A barrel is going to cost $300-$350 or so. Does that mean smiths a getting $350-$450 to fit a new barrel? I've been working too cheap!
Are you are talking in the price range that I was thinking about it should cost total somewhere around the $400.00 - $500.00 range depending on what done during the fitting.

Rod

Hi , this is the barrel i just bought . it's the straight .900 $299 . http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/barrels/shilen-ratchet-rifled-barrel-22lr.html

this is the smiths price list for services that i'm using . http://www.lprgunsmith.com/price_guide.htm

my barrel is already OD sized so no extra for the smith to do . if yours needs to be turned or Contoured expect extra $100-$200

Chamber, Thread and Fit Customer's barrel (holes, extractors extra) $250.00

Extractor cuts (Remington 37, Winchester 52, etc.) $75.00

so $325 not including price of barrel , shipping and any other extras . $625 +

just to give you an idea .

not sure that i've seen anyone here mention recrowning your barrel . the crown is the last thing the bullet sees as it exits your barrell and one of the easiest ways to revive an older barrel . cost should be $30-50 .

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered a Martini? I have a couple of Martini's, a Mark 111 and and International that will outshoot any Winchester 52 I ever had and I have had 4. It also shot better than a Anschutz 64 that I used to have. They are pretty good guns and available most of the time.

Hi , this is the barrel i just bought . it's the straight .900 $299 . http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/barrels/shilen-ratchet-rifled-barrel-22lr.html

this is the smiths price list for services that i'm using . http://www.lprgunsmith.com/price_guide.htm

my barrel is already OD sized so no extra for the smith to do . if yours needs to be turned or Contoured expect extra $100-$200

Chamber, Thread and Fit Customer's barrel (holes, extractors extra) $250.00

Extractor cuts (Remington 37, Winchester 52, etc.) $75.00

so $325 not including price of barrel , shipping and any other extras . $625 +

just to give you an idea .

not sure that i've seen anyone here mention recrowning your barrel . the crown is the last thing the bullet sees as it exits your barrell and one of the easiest ways to revive an older barrel . cost should be $30-50 .

Cheers

Uh, if your bbl needs to be turned you better find a better gunsmith because you tun it after you buy it you can make a lamp with it.

Now Tim, that statement applies to button rifling but not always the case with cut or hammmer forged. Yes I know that 90 % of rf barrels are button types and are considered the best way to fly, but every once in a while the apple cart gets tipped over.

To the op, if you are shooting off a bi-pod that isn't helping. Just for grins you might try some lesser ammo but weight sort it. 52's are funny about what ammo they like and the latest iterations do not seem to be their preferred diet. I have a relativly late mfg 52d and a c that at present I do not remember its apx age both due better with weight sorted mundane stuff like Wolf or Fiochi . neither seems to like center-x or relatively recent eley offerings. Both of these have Canjar triggers- the c has a lp version.

Martini - whole nother can of worms- ya they do shoot- I have one also, 2 piece stock so forend vs rest is very critical as to placement relationship each time to be consistent. Sure is a hoot to shoot though. Good enough for our local club matches. Never make the grade for the circuit, even if I could afford to play in those.

got a full blow 40x as well for comparison.

Now Tim, that statement applies to button rifling but not always the case with cut or hammmer forged. Yes I know that 90 % of rf barrels are button types and are considered the best way to fly, but every once in a while the apple cart gets tipped over.

To the op, if you are shooting off a bi-pod that isn't helping. Just for grins you might try some lesser ammo but weight sort it. 52's are funny about what ammo they like and the latest iterations do not seem to be their preferred diet. I have a relativly late mfg 52d and a c that at present I do not remember its apx age both due better with weight sorted mundane stuff like Wolf or Fiochi . neither seems to like center-x or relatively recent eley offerings. Both of these have Canjar triggers- the c has a lp version.

Martini - whole nother can of worms- ya they do shoot- I have one also, 2 piece stock so forend vs rest is very critical as to placement relationship each time to be consistent. Sure is a hoot to shoot though. Good enough for our local club matches. Never make the grade for the circuit, even if I could afford to play in those.

Blades, I am glad you said that about hammer forged barrels. Because in a whole different world of rf I have had 10/22 hammer forged barrels turned to a varmint taper in last few inches resulting in improved accuracy.
The gunsmith that did that is spoken very well of on Rimfire Central. I will get out my powder scale and try your suggestion. I see some Wolf starting to show up but haven't been unable to find any Fiocchi.

Thanks, Rod

Did you miss the part where he posted the link to the bbl he bought, the shilen ratchet?

Rod,

Keep the 52 for a year or two. It seems to be shooting fairly good by the scores. There is so much to be learned about the wind and the right ammo.

I would think that your 52 would be a good rifle to learn with. You can trade it in a year or two or rebarell it then.

Concho Bill

Back