Re-barreling Winchester model 1892

Elena

Hi. I have a model 1892 with a badly pitted barrel with scant rifling. Keyholes badly at ten yards. Chambered in 25-20. I’d like thoughts on re-barreling options in the same or differed cartridge. thanks!

M 1892 Winchester .25/20

A long time ago I bought a M 92 .25/20 rifle with 24" octagon barrel with a very pitted bore. Shot factory ammo very poorly. I wanted to keep the octagonal barrel and ended up sending it to P O Ackley's shop in Salt Lake City and having the original barrel rebored and rerifled and the action converted to .357 Magnum. Shoots very well for what it is. I believe there are still some shops around that will rebore and rerifle your original barrel if that is of interest. It could be converted to .32/20, .357 Mag or perhaps one of the newer rimmed pistol cartridges. Vic

Last edited:
I would re-line rather than re-barrel. I wouldn’t want to change the looks of a classic. You aren’t going to shoot that in a match anyway and minute of deer is close enough.

I have a Rolling Block with Dennis Erhardt at the present in 32-30. I have an extra Winchester barrel in 25-20, but forgot what it came off of.It is .875 at the shoulder before the tenon. The tenon is .5765 long, .800 in diameter, and 20tpi. It is 24" long and has an extractor cut.

Back