Quick Question?? kelbly action..

skeetlee

I picked up a used Panda action this weekend and i think i will use this action for my daughter's first build. My question is, can these panda actions be Anodized? Her favorite color is purple and i think it would be pretty cool to build her a special rifle, if its even possible. The panda is the matte dull finish right now. Thanks lee

If the action can be Anodized will it need any prep work before hand? How do they polish these actions without rounding off the corners and stuff?

Skeet,
The action can not be Anodized without taking the barrel thread insert, and bolt cam insert out. Duracoat might be your best bet. Boe

Last edited:
thats what i was worried about. I wasnt sure about the steel inserts. My daughter doesnt seems as interested tonight as she was a few weeks ago anyway. Im not going to force this on her but i thought if i could do something special for her it might help spark an interest or at least an attempt. I have an original speedy stock this action and a 6ppc barrel and all i need to do is put it all together. thing is i dont want to cut on this stock if she isnt interested. Maybe this is all just wishful thinking. LOL!! Her mom does a pretty good job of keeping my little ladies girlyfied. We are going deer hunting together in a couple weeks though. Lee

Last edited:
Skeet,
The action can not be Anodized without taking the barrel thread insert, and bolt cam insert out. Duracoat might be your best bet. Boe

Are you sure about that..??...I have seen several guns with anodized actions, and there is a website where one can buy a "do it yourself" anodizing using a DC voltage supply and an Igloo ice chest...they do some pretty spectacular splash patterns with it also...

Lee...do some internet research before you give up...check out this link...http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html

Eddie in Texas

Standard anodizing, as I know it, can not be done to any part with steel in or on it. Of course, things change and maybe there is a process that will work that I'm not aware of. Polished aluminum sure looks nice anodized though, IMO.--Mike Ezell

Are you sure about that..??

Absolutely, The steel will be etched and will rapidly erode away in an anodizing tank. Depending on the assembly sometimes the steel can be masked or isolated and then the aluminum anodized.

Last edited:
Why not call Kelbly's? I am sure that this is not the first time that this has come up. I would also call Stiller Precision, since their aluminum actions are hard anodized. It may be that they put the insert in after.

No anodizing!

Our aluminum actions can't be anodized.

Why not build the rifle anyway, and try to convince your daughter to shoot? Anything one can do to coax the young generation out from behind the TV or computer playing stupid video games, and from aimlessly milling around the mall can only be a plus. We also need figures of authority to introduce kids in the safe use of firearms since they are regularly told at school that guns are bad.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

What's wrong with a purple stock? That should be enough purple to please her....

thanks Greg i appreciate the info. My hole thing was to just do something special for her. No big deal!! thanks again! Lee

You can powder coat it to look almost identical to anodizing.

Well were not sure this action is even going to work for her. My daughter isnt very big and we are kinda thinking the right port isnt the best idea for her. she has to stand up to to put the cartridge into the chamber and to work the bolt. plus i am just not feeling her enthusiasm about any of it. Wishful thinking i guess. We have decided that maybe she would just go with to hang out and cheer me on. Thats her thing anyway. She is on a traveling competition cheer team, and she is all ate up with that stuff. Its actually pretty fun to watch and i enjoy knowing that she is enjoying herself. I bought the action with good intentions and purple or not i just dont think she really wants to do this. this is what her mom told me the other evening anyway. I may keep it for a while or i may not. I appreciate the help and advice none the less. Maybe we can find something else to paint purple! LOL!! Lee

Back