Questions on Scopes and Ballistics

R

ryan_v2006

Hey everyone
This is my first time posting on this site or any site for that matter. I am tryin to get into long range shooting and i know i need some help. I have a Savage model 12 chambered in 300 WSM. I recently purchased a Richards Microfit stock to put on it. Havent got the stock yet. So i need a scope to go on it. Im on a budget so I was considering a Burris XTR 6.5-20X50mm. Whats your advice and opinion?

Next ? I want a scope with the mil dot reticle. How do i use the reticle. I know that one MOA is one inch at one hundred yards two inches and two hundred and so on. But how does MOA tie in to the mil dots. Also target knobs how do they work?

Some basic questions i know....i beg your patience to anyone who answers.
Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
The Burris Black Diamond scopes with the 30 MM tube are good scopes. Keep them mounted using the Burris rings with the plastic inserts and they are very good at holding POI. I have been using the 8X32X50 Burris Black Diamond for years. Good scope for the $.

The lesser cost Burris models are not as good as the Black Diamond series.

In the 6.5-20 range the Leupold scopes are hard to beat. Often you can pick up a good used one for around $400.

You can usually get a very good Leupold 36 D for $500-600. They are hard to beat for the $ if you are range shooting.

Scope mounts are very critical. I favor a Weaver style base with the Burris Signature Zee rings. These have the plastic inserts and are very easy to mount. With these plastic inserts you do not have to lap the bore of the rings.

Ill definitely keep the Black diamond in mind. I like the sound of the leupold too. Im not afraid of buying a used one either. I picked up a used nikon monarch one time and i wont do that again but the burris and leupolds dont scare me. thanks for the info

moa/mil dot

correct on moa being 1 inch at 100 yd, as far as mil dot if im not wrong a mil dot covers 3.16 inches at 100 yd and would therefore cover 31 inches at 1000yd , but i have no exp. in custom reticles that may have smaller target dots, mil dots just form a point of reference in the reticle at a preset distance giving you the ability to make a quick shot at 300 400 500 yd , although not pinpoint, target knobs on the other hand once your scope is zeroed at say 200 yd the knob is loosened and placed on 0, and tightened. most knobs will be incremently marked ,if you see a target a 500 and your scope adjusts at 1/4 moa per click equalling 1 1/4 inches per click at 500, figuring 40 inches of drop for 150 gr factory loads, 32 clicks will put the x hair dead on with no holdover, and then reversing the clicks after shooting will put the scope back to your 200 yd zero, target knobs just give the ability to do this rapidly and accurately vs using a coin and counting in non target models

ok.....im starting to understand this stuff. Its quite fascinating to be honest

Thanks for the info;)

Scopes

Hello Yes a 30mm tube if long range. If you may use this for hunting I prefer not to go over 14X-16X power. I currently run a leupold VX-III 4.5 x 14X ,40MM LR; side focus with a varmint reticle. Changed the elevation turret to a M1, had a custom BDC built for it on a 7mm WSM WIN Coyote model 70. Left the horizontal turret stock I use the big triangle and windage dots with the reticle they have proven to be on for me. GoOD LUck:)

If you get the lower power scopes, you can always buy a Davis Optical booster in 3 or 4X to boost your power for LR competitions.

Cost is $100-125 depending on model. info is here in the posts and on www.6mmbr.com on the daily articles for POC info.

BH

Welcome to the Savage mania

I shoot Savages out to 1000 yards using a 112BVSS in 308 Winchester and a LRPV in 6mmBR. You will love your Savage before it is over. Remember to do your homework on ballistics and be sure you have enough elevation to be able to shoot to point of aim at distance. Also, look to the "heavier" bullets of 175 grains or more. Might have to get a 20 MOA scope base - Ken Ferrell is a good source for Savage bases.

The biggest obstacle to shooting long distance is just going and shooting. Remember everyone at the range has had to start sometime.

Go get 'um!!!!

George

Ryan,

I just bought a new Savage and tried a different approach with the scope. "Normal" reticles have markings in MILs and knobs in MOA. Makes no sense to me. I looked for a MIL know and MIL reticle system. Some very high end tactical scopes currently offer this (US Optics, Schmidt & Bender, etc.).

I opted for a Horus Vision Hawk (3-12x50) scope with their H425 Reticle. Definitely not a benchrest scope, but I am impressed by it. Construction appears solid as a tank. Knobs have positive 1/10 MIL clicks with good adjustment range. Glass is very clear (I'm doing a side-by-side comparison with and IOR and an S&B soon). With the reticle on the first focal plane, hold offs and ranging are not affected by magnification.

All bullet drop and wind compensation is dome by holding off in their proprietary reticle. I haven't mounted it yet, but will share some impressions after the first outing.

Patrick

Back