Question on scopes for 600 and 1000 yard matches

J

James n TN

Building a new 6 Dasher and I'm getting ready to drop the hammer on a new scope, back in the day I used the NF 12-42 now with the march scopes and the new NF competition and the March scopes I'm unsure which direction to go.
My initial choice is a march BR model 10-60 with the 3/32 dot.

My main concern is shooting free recoil and getting back on target if the eye box is too shallow or hard to pick back up. That and choice of reticles. Basically my choices I feel. With current market is the NF competition Nd the March scopes, the sightron just hasn't proven itself yet in my opinion so it's out.

If your going to use a 6mm Dasher at 1000 yards you will know you need to run the gun pretty quick - which means instant target acquisition. Although a superb F Class scope, I found the 10-60 March much too critical with eye-relief. I much prefer my 8-32 Sightron. The 10-50 Sightron is also critical for eye-relief.

Vince (UK)

If your going to use a 6mm Dasher at 1000 yards you will know you need to run the gun pretty quick - which means instant target acquisition. Although a superb F Class scope, I found the 10-60 March much too critical with eye-relief. I much prefer my 8-32 Sightron. The 10-50 Sightron is also critical for eye-relief.

Vince (UK)

Vince, when you back the March down to 32X like you're using on the Sightron do you still have the acquisition difficulty?

Building a new 6 Dasher and I'm getting ready to drop the hammer on a new scope, back in the day I used the NF 12-42

The NF benchrest model 12-42x56 is still a good choice, provided you can make weight overall. And it's a lot less expensive that the new NF or the March. Unless you just want to spend money (which I totally understand)... in which case get whichever one has the more forgiving eye relief.

Vince, when you back the March down to 32X like you're using on the Sightron do you still have the acquisition difficulty?

I still prefer the Sightron for eye-relief if shooting fast. I do have a fixed-power 40X March on my 100/200 yard 6PPC gun which is great.

Vince (UK)

Vince I prefer the NF. NXS over them all for running them fast the 10-60 March would be next. I use the March for weight reduction. I do like the image in the March better than the NF, The BR model NF is too heavy and too short eye relief for me and the competition model NF, i sold after the first match……. jim

I think the NF benchrest 12-42X56 is best. I have them on both my heavy and light guns. Gary

Thanks everyone for the input, I've dropped the hammer on the march 10-60x52 with Tactical knobs and the 3/32 dot I used the 12-42 NF in the past and made weight in LG class.

Thanks everyone for the input, I've dropped the hammer on the march 10-60x52 with Tactical knobs and the 3/32 dot I used the 12-42 NF in the past and made weight in LG class.

James, make sure you remember that the adjustments on the March WORK..... in other words you can adjust everything, and it has an effect. It is my considered opinion that the various March scopes which get referred to a "dim" or "fuzzy" or "less clear than my Brand-X" are OUT OF ADJUSTMENT.

I'm no expert but I've had the March 10-60 on the bench with NF/Leupold/Schmidt and Bender side-by-side and the March is one seriously fine optical instrument. The big Schmidt and Bender is close optically but so much heavier at almost 4lb that I wouldn't consider one.

I'd like to fit a March with a Horus reticle......

al

Back