Question on Anschutz "super match" 54 in Kelby stock

G

Gumbo

The rifle has been giving me accuracy problems. I recently tried it in a wood Anschutz stock and it shot great.
I separated the barrel action from the stock, and removed the 5071 trigger. After putting the barrel action back in the stock (minus the trigger) I found it would "rock". I haven't a clue how much fiberglass I can remove before I get into the core, so I am guessing bedding would be out of the question. If I were to remove fiberglass so that the action would no longer "rock" and would get to the core, could this be properly fixed and what do I use? fiberglass resin?

My plans are to use modeling clay to find the high spot in the stock channel, bring the stock to a good fit with the action, and glue it in using JB Weld. Has anyone had this problem with a Kelby to Anschutz?

Roy

You need to get someone to pillar bed the gun for you. If you still want in glued in then do it then. These little rimfires can bed a bit touchy!

I emailed Kelby to find out if it the stock could be drilled to install pillars. Thanks for the reply Fiddler!

You're thinking backwards. Skip the clay and consider filling in the low spots. What you really need to do is take it to a stock guy and tell him you want it bedded. Rimfire folks don't generally glue.

If you're hell bent on doing it yourself we'll offer some tips. The pitfalls are many for the first time bed job.

Rimfire folks don't generally glue.

As a CF guy, I didn't know that, so I glued a Win 52 into an oldstyle McMillan stock. New barrel. Shoots lights out.

One tip with glue-ins. Prebed first -- wrap the action with a couple layers of tape & pour in the compound, so it can shrink unevenly, etc. The final gule-in coat will be quite thin & even. (take the tape off first, of course ;-)

When you prebed & glue in, it helps to make sure the barrel is loading the action just as it will be in the finished rifle. RFs may be more sensitive to this. In spite of popular opinion, a good glue in might just be more work than a good pillar bed.

Unless you've done a few, probably best to have it done professionally -- or be willing to do it twice, if it don't shoot right.

Thanks, I'll try and reach Don Geraci when he comes back from an out of state shoot this weekend. If he doesn't care to do it, I guess I'll attempt it myself.
The wobble (up and down motion) is too bad to just bed, as it would raise the action too much. Removing some glass from the stock at the high point would (or should) minimize the wobble. Since I haven't a clue how much glass I can remove before hitting the core, is the reason I hesitate and was looking for someone who has experience with a kelby stock.
If I have to, and my attempt is less than desirable, I probably will just have to buy a wood stock and see if I can get it working correctly.

As a CF guy, I didn't know that, so I glued a Win 52 into an oldstyle McMillan stock. New barrel. Shoots lights out.

I didn't either - glued in my Swindlehurst. Didn't shoot lights out but I knew it wasn't because of the bedding.

Don did his magic and it seems to be shooting lights out. (with him behind the trigger).
I'll give it a go in the morning!

Back