Question About Using Rear Bag w/ an Old-Fashion Front Rest

Hunter

Chasin' the Sunset
I use an old-fashion front rest (i.e., no joy stick) and wonder if I'm misusing the rear bag -- to the detriment of group sizes. I keep the stock pinned against the stop on the front rest and move the rear bag forward/back to change elevation between the sighter and record targets, rather than using the front-rest height adjustment screw. Do y'all think movement of the rear bag likely has a negative effect on group sizes?

I used to use a soft rear bag that I could squeeze to help adjust for elevation and even correct a slight amount of windage.

As much as anything else that might hurt groups is the time it's taking to move the bag around that could be hurting your groups

As you say moving up and down from the sighters is a lot to have to squeeze or a lot of rear bag moving around all that equals time Lost in that condition

For me changing to a front rest with a joy stick control did help

Well, let's see. There are about 30 real BR shooters here so you should get 30 good answers and no arguments.
From my experience, I'd dump the front rest stop and slide the rifle fore and aft to get the elevation from sighter to record target. I'd use a slightly soft bag and squeeze to get the fine adjustment of elevation or windage. I use stocks with a good angle on the bottom of the butt stock. The straight line stocks tend to make it tougher to get enough elevation to go from sighter to record target. You might consider a rear speed screw for raising and lower from one target to the other.

Well, let's see. There are about 30 real BR shooters here so you should get 30 good answers and no arguments.
From my experience, I'd dump the front rest stop and slide the rifle fore and aft to get the elevation from sighter to record target. I'd use a slightly soft bag and squeeze to get the fine adjustment of elevation or windage. I use stocks with a good angle on the bottom of the butt stock. The straight line stocks tend to make it tougher to get enough elevation to go from sighter to record target. You might consider a rear speed screw for raising and lower from one target to the other.

Exact information. Thats the way it works best with a non joystick rest. Ditch the heavy sand if you fell for that trick too i use paver sand but play sand works too

I believe "uthink uknow" nailed it. Sliding the rear bag is a bad idea! Sliding the gun back and forth works fine and a speed screw will help. If you don't like any of that squeeze the rear bag.

Bart Sauter

I keep the stock pinned against the stop on the front rest and move the rear bag forward/back to change elevation between the sighter and record targets

Pinning stock against the front stop is a bad thing. Slide the rifle forward till it stops it but do not pin against the stop, you cannot be consistent that way. I like the front stop as a reference point but if you cannot break the habit of pinning against it take it off.

Back