Putting a Vanguard bolt back together???

J

jimfinn

I am helping a friend clean up a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 that he bought for his son. We have refinished the stock and touched up the bluing. While giving it a good clean I took the firing pin assembly out of the bolt and for the life of me can't figure out how to get it back together properly. I can put it together by pulling back the bolt sear, but the handle is spun 180 degree off. There is a tab on the firing pin assembly that has to match up with a slot inside the bolt body. So is there a way to insert the assembly and then turn it or perhaps turn the tab around the firing pin???? The attachment is a photo of the bolt.
Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• Vanguard Bolt.jpg
    Vanguard Bolt.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,858
Screw the firing pin assembly in, almost to the desired spot and pull the spring and striker back. Look at the rear of the striker assembly on the side. There should be a slot, put a penny in it and this will hold everything back until you can spin it back to the correct spot. Just pull the striker back at that point and the penny will fall out.

Thanks for the reply.
By putting the shroud end of the firing pin assembly in a padded vise I was able to pull the firing pin back, slide the bolt body on and rotate it. The firing pin is cocked. But no matter which way I turn it, the firing pin assembly doesn't lock into the bolt body.
I don't know what slot you are talking about. The back end of the striker shroud is solid and nothing stick out from it.
I'll keep trying.
Jim

Jim

Insert the firing pin assembly, with the lug on it lined up with the slot inside the bolt body. It will come to a stop with the nose of the cocking cam (the silver-coloured part fitted to the rear of the firing pin) contacting the rear face of the bolt body. Take a firm grip on the bolt body with one hand, and on the bolt shroud with the other. Push the shroud forward (compressing the firing pin spring) until the front face of it contacts the rear face of the bolt body, then turn it about 90 degrees anti-clockwise (viewed from the rear of the bolt) until the nose of the cocking cam snaps into a small holding notch in the rear face of the bolt body. Job done - the bolt can now be put into the action, ready to go.

Thanks for the reply.
By putting the shroud end of the firing pin assembly in a padded vise I was able to pull the firing pin back, slide the bolt body on and rotate it. The firing pin is cocked. But no matter which way I turn it, the firing pin assembly doesn't lock into the bolt body.
I don't know what slot you are talking about. The back end of the striker shroud is solid and nothing stick out from it.
I'll keep trying.
Jim

The only Vangaurd I worked on had a slot in the rear of the striker assembly on the side. A penny fit into it just like it does on a remington.

Back