Primer Pockets

K

kdvarmint

I load Winchester and Lapua brass. I definitely debur and chamfer inside primer pockets. How important is it to uniform pockets? (Cutting to uniform depth)

Last edited by a moderator:
I uniform primer pockets but have no proof that it helps anything. It is like the story of a kid watching a bench rest shooter preparing his cases, neck turning, uniforming primer pockets, etc. The kid asks "Why do you do all that stuff mister?" To which the shooter replied, "Because I don't know what not to do."
In other words, at one time someone of influence said it helped accuracy so we all started doing it and now we're afraid to quit because it "might" hurt accuracy.

If you uniform primer pocket depth and use a primer seater with adjustable depth of seating Sinclair/K&M etc) you will be seating your primers to a known uniform depth, supposedly helping to uniform primer ignition.
Mark

KD -

Howdy !

Well, in my .22-35 wildcat ( .35 Remington necked-down to .224 cal ) and .35 Rem shot from a Marlin M-336 XLR; primer pocket uniforming definitely helped tighten the groups shot form thier respective rifles.
In my circumstance; perhaps it was just a pure .35 Rem brass thang ?

I've got Marlin 5-shot 100yd groups down as-small-as 5/8", and uniforming is a proven ( to me ) part of reaching that level of accuracy w/ a Marlin lever gun.

I've always primer pocket uniformed my precision rifle brass ( Rem, Norma, Lapua' et al ), for 37+ years now.
But hey, that's just me.

Regards,
.357Mag

kdvarmint,
You said you chamfer the primer pockets?
Did you mean you use the tool that uniforms the hole from inside the case and slightly chamfers the inside of the ignition hole?
Or do you chamfer the outside edge of the primer pocket at the head?
I have never heard of this being done on the outside except for military type brass.

I shoot short range BR and I do the same as Mark. I uniform the pocket and ues a tool that uniforms the ignition hole and slightly chamfers the hole on the inside.
A good tool is important to me but I see some guys that beat my socks off sometimes using RCBS and Lee priming tools. A lot do.
AS an after thought It also depends on what you are shooting as to whether these kinds of things will help much and how much.

Chamfer the inside Vern. I shoot in the factory class for now. Varmint model 12 Savage in 308.

Back