Primer Pocket Uniformer

I would say there is some question as to if this really helps but most people do it just for consistency's sake. Well over 90% of the shooters I know do it.

With Lapua brass it is most likely not necessary.

Fire the Lapua brass then clean the primer pocket with your uniformer.

The main reason you pay so much for lapua, norma, or nosler brass is that all of this has been done for you.They should have come with the flash holes deburred, the pockets uniformed out and the necks inside and outside chamfered. Havent ever used lapua, but have bought alot of norma and nosler, and they say all you have to do is load and shoot. I sure wouldnt spend a buck a piece on norma if I had to do the same amount of work as 40 cent apiece rp or win.

DR

I use a "uniformer" to clean the primer pockets on my Lapua 6mm BR brass, for my 6mmBR and 22 BR.

I use a "uniformer" to clean the primer pockets on my Lapua 6mm BR brass, for my 6mmBR and 22 BR.

Gumby, A primer pocket uniformer takes metal off the case I.E it cuts the metal. If i want to clean the crud from the primer fireing out of the pocket, I use a primer pocket brush which does not cut the pocket in any way, but does take the crud out.

DR

A properly machined uniformer will not remove too much metal.

:)

Pete ...

Do most folks see this as a pretty necessary tool for accuracy? This will be Lapua brass for 6MM BR. Pete

I use a primer pocket uniformer for both uniforming and cleaning primer pockets on all my Lapua brass [220 Russian for the 6PPC, and 6BR for my 30BR].

On new brass I find that it removes brass from the bottom and side, from the bottom only and sometimes from the side only ... of the pocket. That's why I UNIFORM. Lapua is excellent brass and all I use ... BUT it's not always perfect.

I use the Sinclair Uniformer made specifically for the PPC/BR (Lapua and Norma brass only) item #UN-8006. I chuck the uniformer directly into my portable drill without using the adapter shown in the attachment. :)

Attachments

• Primer Pocket Uniformer.jpg
    Primer Pocket Uniformer.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:
I uniform most of my rifle brass just so I'll know that I've done all I could do to make things consistent. Better results are generally obtained under power in my experience, using the adapter shown in the thumbnail in abintx's post or a 3/8 drill motor (plug in or good battery unit) will chuck the uniformer and have plenty of power to do the job. Doing the job with electricity is a whole lot easier too, and reduces an otherwise painful job to not too terrible.

I use a uniformer on my laupa (223) it cleans and uniforms, does it help not sure but I feel better doing it.

Back