Primer didn't fire

J

Joe Pellegrene

Sunday the first round I tried to shoot in my 30br didn't fire for me. I just now pressed out the primer and took some pictures. It seems one grain of powder flattened out on the primer and didn't allow the anvil to crush as it should. Has anyone seen this before? It must be just one grain of H4198.

Left side is the primer that didn't fire compared to a good one on the right.
img_0498.jpg

Left side shows the powder in the primer, compared to a new one on the right.
img_0524.jpg

Actually, I just realized I got it wrong. That primer did fire but the powder didn't ignite. Maybe that grain of powder was contaminated, or maybe I should start shooting magnums. :) Hope it doesn't happen again.

That Bat Rifle is obviously no ?#$@> good even if it did win the PA states the same day. I will do you a favor and take it off your hands for $50 as long as you leave that old klunker scope on it!

Your Friend Dick

Joe, I had a similar incident a couple weeks ago and the conclusion that i came too was that the primer didn't have enough priming compound in it to ingnite the powder, it discolored the powder and that was it. Steve

Yeah it was a 205m. Right now the gun has been in tune for the last 400 shots or so with the same lot of primers and powder. You would think if there was a problem with the powder or primers it would of showed up on the target.

After I took the pictures I picked the piece out of the primer and lit it with a lighter on a white sheet of paper. I also lit one grain of 4198 and both pieces burned in about 2 seconds and left the same markings on the paper.

Maybe I was close to a hang fire? I did hesitate before opening the bolt, but only about 5 or 10 seconds. At the groundhog shoot the next day several guy's didn't feel that was a sufficient enough time. I don't know I've never experienced a hang fire yet or been at a shoot where one happened.

Joe, I had a similar incident a couple weeks ago and the conclusion that i came too was that the primer didn't have enough priming compound in it to ingnite the powder, it discolored the powder and that was it. Steve

That sounds reasonable Steve. I thought I might of picked up some sizing wax on the powder, or maybe some carbon could of dropped down from the case wall and help contribute to the problem.

Actually, I just realized I got it wrong. That primer did fire but the powder didn't ignite. Maybe that grain of powder was contaminated, or maybe I should start shooting magnums. :) Hope it doesn't happen again.

I wonder if maybe the powder failed to ignite and THEN the piece of powder lodged down inside the empty primer cavity, "because it could."

al

One of our shooters down here was using a late batch of 205M's and had several of them fail to fire the round. Removing the primer showed that the priming compound appeared to be intact (not burnt), and the firing pin had put a decent dent in it. Someone placed these primers on a concrete surface and gave each one a good belt with a hammer - every one went bang....go figure.

The action is a 3 lug BAT and has performed faultlessly before and since the incident.

Back